St Helens - trail recomendations

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
Hey all, we're hitting St Helens next week on the way thru. Which trail is the "Blue Velvet" of St Helens and which is the "Freight Train"? Our time is limited.
Much appreciated.

clockworked

Like an orange
Those are two trails in bright, right? If they're the ones I've only been to bright once. I guess old salty dog is close-ish to freight train, but it has a climb at the end. I don't think there is a fair comparison to blue velvet

Edit: nope, looks like those are whistler trails. Haven't been there in ages

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
No idea on Blue Velvet, or Freight Train, but Send Helen's is St Helen's version of Air Ya Garn (nothing like it). Old Salty Dog has good flow, some cool boulder features, all easy with one step up that requires a bit of blue level skill. Be wary of the gap jump 2/3 of the way down, which is fine if you are carrying speed, which you will if you do the boulder feature just before it. Icarus has some fun tech, but very blue for a black run.

Can highly recommend Dreaming Pools loop, for a lovely xc outing, integrating great fast flow sections. We parked at the top of Lola Tier, then finished the loop with Garn Up. 35k's with 750m of climbing.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Blue Velvet and Freight Train are more of a progressive smooth flow jump trails with table tops, nothing at St Helens quite like those two.
Old Salty Dog is very similar to a lot of Derby trails, smoother, flowy and fun but with a climb at the end before it joins St Helens.
St Helens is the closest to a jump trail but it mainly has fairly advanced gap jumps or small stuff on the B line and Icarus it a bit more technical.
Make sure you have good tyre pressures or even a tyre insert as especially Icarus and Send Helens have some really square edged rock that eats sidewalls and dings rims.