SSpeeding the Fling 100ker

big mike

Squid
Righto who has done the Highland Fling on a SS 29er??
What gear ratio would you recommend??
Currently running 32/20.Been ridding around Jindy and know down @ Batemans Bay
individual thing I know but if anyone has done it, would appreciate the feedback.
Cheers
mick

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Righto who has done the Highland Fling on a SS 29er??
What gear ratio would you recommend??
Currently running 32/20.Been ridding around Jindy and know down @ Batemans Bay
individual thing I know but if anyone has done it, would appreciate the feedback.
Cheers
mick
Yes it is doable.

I tried the 100miler/160km on a 26" @ 32/18, as there is are some nice hills, i don't recommend such a low ratio. I missed the last checkpoint by 7 minutes.

Sure, I flew past most people on the climbs but when it came to the long roads back, they all passed me back.

I know of one girl who did it 2 years ago on here 29er SS, have a look in the results

zed42

Likes Bikes
There were *two* girls who did it last year ;-)

I think I ran about 34:21, in just under 8 hours. I had to walk up a few hills, but I managed to finish before the unicyclists... No matter what you do, you're going to be spinning like a crazy person on those roads.

big mike

Squid
thanks Guys.
think I will stay with the 32/20 done 70kms the other day on some fire road round Batemans Bay, seem to go good.No massive hills though??
This will be the first 100ker Ive done SS so if I finish I will be happy.
Mick

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know of one girl who did it 2 years ago on here 29er SS, have a look in the results
By girl you mean old lady right? :-D

Kim did sub 7hrs on 32:20. She thought the ratio was a good balance between getting up the hills and spinning her arse off. For me, 32:19 is perfect around there. Pick one of those. Don't be tempted to go some fire road specific ratio. you'll pay. :)

krisko

Likes Dirt
Erin Zimmer smashed it the year before last and swore she would never do it again. Apparently the long flat road sections drove her spare!
I can certainly understand that! She's leading the current Singetrack Mind series Female solo category on SS!

Im sure she has a beard!

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Erin Zimmer smashed it the year before last and swore she would never do it again. Apparently the long flat road sections drove her spare!
I can certainly understand that! She's leading the current Singetrack Mind series Female solo category on SS!

Im sure she has a beard!
You mean she is leading the SS category, she's second in the female solo category.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
32:19 for me. I walked a few hills (the wall), but certainly wasn't alone doing that among the gears.

Just remember though: it's NOT 100km.

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
You'll be fine with 32:20 but as the others said you'll be spinning on the flat stuff. There are some hills so getting the balance right is up to you. If it is your first stick with what is currently working for you. Change it if you need to next time.

I ran a 29" on 34:18 in 2008 finished with 6:34 - I recall a lot of cramping late in the race. Mostly due to a lack of fluid on as it warmed up after a cool, windy even wet start. The SS ratio wouldn't have helped though. It was a good balance for the hills/flats. I walked...like most of us average joes/jills do on some of those climbs. I reckon I could run 34:20 to take a bit of pressure off the climbs next time. If you are down the bay and have experienced the Angry Doctor...Back in 2008 that was on the 29" on 34:18 - finished in 6:47.

Good Luck with your Fling.

big mike

Squid
Thanks dr.evil
I have been riding SS on and off for the last couple of years,just social rides and a few shorter xc club races.And as I said before this will be my first crack at the 100ker format.I have ridden quite a few 100kers on geared bikes and I wondering if I will be more fatigued after on a SS then a geared bike.
Reasons:
Geared bike= hammer everything, uphills as well as downhills.You don't get that recovery and you are constantly working.
SS=smashing yourself on the up hills cruising and recovery every where else.

I'm no elite athlete so they perspective I am looking at is the average rider,no heart rate monitors,cadence monitors,etc.

Will be interesting to see.

Mick