SRAM X0 10spd jockey wheel - replacement

scblack

Leucocholic
Guys,

I have had crap gear changes for a few weeks, so I gave the drivetrain a service. I have got my SRAM X0 gears indexed and running nicely. However, I find I have a broken jockey wheel.

Jockey wheel.JPG

Jockey 2.JPG

Not having bought or replaced these ever before I'm a bit lost. Its a SRAM X0 10spd derailleur. Not sure what year, I bought it off EV in about 2014, so I assume its a 2013 or 2014 derailleur. It was quite new then.

Can someone please give me some links what/where to buy? I've checked Wiggle and CRC, but they are either out of stock, or for X9 derailleurs. It is 11 tooth - do I just need to buy an 11tooth SRAM compatible jockey wheel? Partly I just dunno what to buy. And then I've never replaced a jockey wheel, but I'm sure I'll manage that brain busting new task.

Help please....

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant help with the specific jockey wheel you're after, but I will offer a tip.

The bolts that hold jockey wheels on are notorious for coming loose and you must use a bit of Loctite on the thread when you reinstall. This will save you from the endless troubles created when your derailleur explodes on the trail sending half a dozen small pieces in a dozen different directions on a rocky, bushy trail, in the dark, while your light's battery is dying, and it starts to rain, and a mountain lion attacks.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm little confused by your pics scblack. I know stuff all about X0 as it's out of my league (weekend hack at best), but I'm looking at the SRAM 2016 spare parts catalog that I downloaded a while back, and the shape of the cage in the top photo doesn't seem to align with the 'exploded' parts diagrams for a 10-speed X0 of any vintage.

Your broken jockey wheel looks to have 6 holes around the inner mount, which appears to match either X0 pulleys from a 2011-2013 rear 2x10/3x10 derailleur (page 58 of the above linked catalog), but the shape of the inner cage suggests it's from a 3x9 X0 derailleur (page 59).

Does 'bought it off EV' mean that it's a second hand mech? Assuming so, perhaps the original owner had a stack, damaged it and had it rebuilt with a different cage. Or I'm just shit at working out catalogs... No matter I guess, if it still works ok, but what jockey wheels you're running is a bit of a guess, although perhaps:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SRAM-X0-...Set-08-12-10Spd-11-7515-022-000-/252069750440

SRAM part number 11.7515.022.000. Also available on bike24 as well, but delivery will be prohibitive unless you're buying other things too.

Disclaimer - beer consumed prior to posting, I won't be surprised if someone says I've got it wrong. :p

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Guys,

I have had crap gear changes for a few weeks, so I gave the drivetrain a service. I have got my SRAM X0 gears indexed and running nicely. However, I find I have a broken jockey wheel.

View attachment 325893

View attachment 325894

Not having bought or replaced these ever before I'm a bit lost. Its a SRAM X0 10spd derailleur. Not sure what year, I bought it off EV in about 2014, so I assume its a 2013 or 2014 derailleur. It was quite new then.

Can someone please give me some links what/where to buy? I've checked Wiggle and CRC, but they are either out of stock, or for X9 derailleurs. It is 11 tooth - do I just need to buy an 11tooth SRAM compatible jockey wheel? Partly I just dunno what to buy. And then I've never replaced a jockey wheel, but I'm sure I'll manage that brain busting new task.

Help please....

This isn't a clutched derailleur by the looks of it, so it's probably the 2006-2013 XO. There was a variant that has washers/cups integrated into the rear cage. You will need to disassemble and look at the spare parts catalog

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...default/files/techdocs/2016_sram_spc_reva.pdf

Around page 59.

post a photos of the back side of the lower jockey wheel ( you have already just shown it, but it's not clear enough) and I can probably work it out.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would think a second hand sram jockey wheel would just interchange as long as you save the mounting hardware.

People often forget about their jockey wheels. They should be checked and replaced usually at the same time as chain and cassette. Makes a great deal of difference! Also don't forget to install them in the correct rotation direction!

I would NOT recommend using second hand jockey wheels, that is if you care about performance.

Can't help with the exact part number for this model rear derailleur BUT your local bike shop should be able to help~

scblack

Leucocholic
I got an anodised red aluminium one from ebay for $4.95 posted.

Fitted it today. Easiest little replacement ever. I had just never touched one before. Just took wheel off, undo allen screw. Take out old one. Pop in new one (remember to loop chain over it). Do up screw. Pop wheel back on. Too lazy to locktite it.

And done:
Red jockey wheel.JPG

I think I'll replace the lower one - 'cause I can.:spy: