sram: pg-970 or pg-990?

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
hey everyone,
just gettin an overview of wich cassette i should bye. i've been looking at both of them and the pg-970 is quite a bit cheaper and i was wondering if i should spend the extra few dollars on the pg-990.

Mills

ryno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the pg-990 would be better in the long run, it will not wear down as fast and will just be a better cassette to have,

hope this helps your decision

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
wats the difference between 11/32 aand 11/34. i sorta understand but i dont really get wich one i need. i ride downhill (or try to), so i need the larger gears... wich one do i need?

Thanks

horsey

Likes Dirt
wats the difference between 11/32 aand 11/34. i sorta understand but i dont really get wich one i need. i ride downhill (or try to), so i need the larger gears... wich one do i need?

Thanks
It represents the number of teeth of the smallest and largest cog on the cassette.

More teeth. The easier the gear. 32/34 is only really needed for steep climbing.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I could be wrong, but most true DH rigs use road cassettes.
Most I have seen use conventional cassettes, since road ones can be a bit limited. There are quite a lot of people using roadie cassettes though (not me anymore, missed the range too much).

Thanks
First, what gear range are you using now? Do you want to have a higher top speed or are you more concerned with being able to pedal to DH tracks? If you are happy with the range of gears you have now but want to shift them all a bit higher or lower you are better off buying a replacement chain ring with a different number of teeth.

udi

swiss cheese
If you have the means, get the PG-990. It has an aluminium carrier for the cogs, which makes the cassette a fair bit lighter than the 970. Again between 11-32 and 11-34, get the 11-32 because it's lighter. You shouldn't be pedalling a DH rig up any hills that require a 34T on the rear anyway, and honestly 32T will get you up a lot.

If you want to go a step up in cassettes, check out the Shimano XT M760 cassette. It's nicer than the PG-990 imo, and tends to be a little cheaper too. :)

toml

Likes Dirt
I bought the PG-970 about 2 weeks ago and it's fine, can't really comment on how it wears yet... My friend got the PG-990 about 2 months ago and apart from looks and weight, you can't notice much difference.
It's kinda hard to compare two new cassettes :p but if I were you I'd just go for the PG-970, dose the same job for less money unless your a weight weenie, in that case go the PG-990. My 2c worth any way.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
cool, thanks for everyones help. i'll probly go the 990 just because i want it to last. and i'll probably go the 32 teeth, due to the weight.

Thanks
Mills

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to go a step up in cassettes, check out the Shimano XT M760 cassette. It's nicer than the PG-990 imo, and tends to be a little cheaper too. :)
The man speaks sense. Get a Shimano XT cassette. They're cheaper, lighter, last longer and shift better than any SRAM cassette. I love my SRAM gear but their cassettes aren't up to Shimano's standards yet. An example, 11-32 PG-990 is claimed at 275, most weigh 290, even with the aluminium lockring they come with. XT 11-32 claimed is 264 and that's using a steel lockring, my current one when new with an aluminium lockring was 250 grams.

If you must go SRAM - my suggestion is the PG980 - still uses an aluminium spider like the 990 to save weight and be nice to your freehub body but is a fair whack cheaper because it aint red.