Sram E-Bike Specific stuff

Minlak

custom titis
So as it is harder to get XT / XTR derailleur and shifter - I am thinking of doing this for the E-Bike and moving the E-Bike Shimano stuff over to the new bike. This stuff is meant to be built specifically for the torque and power of an E-bike and the chains for them are cheaper at $50 a pop and stronger. What do you think?

Minlak

custom titis
That's a ridiculous price for the cassette:eek:
I think that Ebikes definitely need a specific drivetrain. There's a lot of torque and weight to deal with.
Yeah would be a no brainer if cassette was cheaper - the cassette is what making me think - I would have to get new rear wheel as well to fit it so really we are looking at $1500 change over

Minlak

custom titis
Does an e bike really need a 46t dinner plate?
I thought they were reserved for self powered fatties with chicken legs like me.
This one is a 10th of the price and you can crank it up to 9 speed
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sunrace-m990-shimano-9-speed-bicycle-cassette-11-4/CSM990BK-1140
I am considering looking at other options - But any option other than Microspline means a new wheel for me - and I would prefer to mount the shifter on the brakes so that will be Sram as I have to problem solver already - I just like the idea of the E-Bike specific ones

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the germans hibike used to have the cassette cheaper? i bought whole groupset foor half that price, cassette is really light, like 11-32 roadie light, derailleur has been flawless..if i were you i’d b going box 9 speed, the ex1 above uses 10 spd chain, the sram one at $50 is pretty good though..pd bikebug have cassette for 520

Minlak

custom titis
the germans hibike used to have the cassette cheaper? i bought whole groupset foor half that price, cassette is really light, like 11-32 roadie light, derailleur has been flawless..if i were you i’d b going box 9 speed, the ex1 above uses 10 spd chain, the sram one at $50 is pretty good though..pd bikebug have cassette for 520
Thanks - I was going to shop around if I decided to go that way - it kind of justifies it to me if I am going to re use the drive train already on the E-Bike on the new bike. The shifter and derailleur are the same price as Shimano stuff and I want new wheels for it anyway so will probably end up doing something.

Minlak

custom titis
Well did it - Only issue seems to be if I need a spacer that may or may not come with the cassette :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I think that Ebikes definitely need a specific drivetrain. There's a lot of torque and weight to deal with.
Why not just gearbox? Honestly, if I am paying $10k on a bicycle and the RRp of the cassette is $600 it should realy be a gearbox belt drive ebike.

On a side note, mate of mine bought ebike specific forks, no real difference. I think there is one token in there or something.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Arent Kmart bikes 8 speed? Buy one of those, use the parts, scrub the paint off the frame and sell it to freek with the leftover bits as a late 13th century Cannondale.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Does an e bike really need a 46t dinner plate?
I thought they were reserved for self powered fatties with chicken legs like me.
You won't use it often, but it helps with staying seated on tighter, steeper climbing tracks where you want to keep a predictable cadence but don't want to rocket up the track.

Minlak

custom titis
To be honest I use mainly 3 gears on the E-Bike however on occasion I have used the 51t ring as well - some of the hills we have heat still need a grind as you just spin and slip on the rocks with too much power / torque

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can use NX cassette which is pretty heavy duty and fits standard shimano hub + SLX rear mech, I even used that with a SRAM shifter and it worked fine. Will save you a ton of money!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
there is a local shop up here that has done a few speedhub conversions on Ebikes...the shop owner has said he has been getting some positive feedback regarding
lotsa dollars though,I estimate looking at about 3K all up

Minlak

custom titis
You can use NX cassette which is pretty heavy duty and fits standard shimano hub + SLX rear mech, I even used that with a SRAM shifter and it worked fine. Will save you a ton of money!
So you don’t really wear out the derailleur much and the cassette is substantially stronger - anticipation is tif the cassette survives 3 times more than the current cassette I come out ahead - I also just plain liked the idea of having the whole set of the ebike stuff

Minlak

custom titis
The other thing I will keep an eye on is the free hub - the one I will have is allow I assume - might buy a steel one eventually