SRAM AXS

treble

Likes Dirt
Anyone on here have any experience with SRAM AXS components?
I’m tempted to give the dropper a go. And the new GX stuff looks almost reasonable.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube ‘reviews’ and seen a lot of pros running it. But sponsorship is how they pay the bills, so they aren’t exactly likely to tell the truth if it’s not very good. Anyone have any real world experience?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i’ve used it on a gravel bike a few times, shifting is excellent, fast & precise - -just don’t brake a rear derailleur
mate has the new dropper, he loves it - though he is xd and new to droppers, he has had no trouble with it

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Anyone on here have any experience with SRAM AXS components?
I’m tempted to give the dropper a go. And the new GX stuff looks almost reasonable.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube ‘reviews’ and seen a lot of pros running it. But sponsorship is how they pay the bills, so they aren’t exactly likely to tell the truth if it’s not very good. Anyone have any real world experience?
Don't forget the pros are probably running the top level XX1, not the pleb level GX

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's predictably completely insane - especially if you're putting lots of kms on your bike. You'll find yourself shifting just for fun because it's so seamless.

Is it worth the money? Realistically, only if you've upgraded everything else on your bike and you feel like being an idiot imo. Top level mechanical stuff is still sublime and you won't cry as much when you smear your derailleur off onto a rock (although the way the derailleur readjusts and realigns itself after hits is really cool).

NSMB has a good breakdown of the differences between the new GX and the higher end stuff which is probably worth a read if you're considering it..

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I have an AXS Dropper... bloody brilliant bit of kit.
Super smooth and instant activation. I've recharged it once in about 2 months.
I'm running the AXS Dropper with an Archer Components Bluetooth shifter unit, so the only cable I have to route along my frame is the rear brake hose. Very clean setup.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm running the AXS Dropper with an Archer Components Bluetooth shifter unit, so the only cable I have to route along my frame is the rear brake hose. Very clean setup.
Hadn’t seen this before - are you happy with it?

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Loving it. Cheaper than AXS but the biggest plus is the fact it can be easily programmed to work with almost any combo of derailleur and cassette. For example, I am running a Shimano Crankset, a Sram Eagle 12 sp chain and derailleur with a 11sp wide range Garbaruk cassette. Because you can program each individual gear, you can get perfect shifting no matter the combo. A standard RD is a lot cheaper than a AXS RD to replace too.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Loving it. Cheaper than AXS but the biggest plus is the fact it can be easily programmed to work with almost any combo of derailleur and cassette. For example, I am running a Shimano Crankset, a Sram Eagle 12 sp chain and derailleur with a 11sp wide range Garbaruk cassette. Because you can program each individual gear, you can get perfect shifting no matter the combo. A standard RD is a lot cheaper than a AXS RD to replace too.
Just googled Archer. That is pretty trick. Was it easy to set up? Asking for a complete pleb, like myself.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I ran the dropper and the drivetrain for a little while. They were pretty much flawless apart from the derailleur clutch losing a little tension and slapping more than I liked. That's the only reason I moved on from the drivetrain. The dropper was changed because the Titan has a stupidly small seatpost insertion depth so I had to go to a oneup to keep the drop I wanted.

I guess I did find the gear shifting a little unnatural too because there were many times where I would brainfart and change gears in the wrong direction but that could be an old dog new tricks thing lol

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I guess I did find the gear shifting a little unnatural too because there were many times where I would brainfart and change gears in the wrong direction but that could be an old dog new tricks thing lol
I did that with the Di2 as well. Reprogrammed the buttons and now it's an automatic process