SRAM announces COMPLETE recall - Stop use immediately!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/13...lic-rim-and-disc-brakes-stop-use-immediately/

SRAM.jpg

What initially began as a select recall due to performance issues on SRAM hydraulic road disc and rim brakes, has now evolved into a complete recall of all road hydraulic brakes across the board. Citing failures of the master cylinder seals at this past weekend’s cyclocross races in below freezing conditions, the resultant sudden loss of braking power was reported several times. No injuries have been reported, but the issues are prompting a recall of around 19,000 brakes systems with additional details soon to come.

Full statement after the break.

From SRAM:

UPDATE: SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall – STOP USE IMMEDIATELY

On November 4th SRAM identified and announced a technical issue with respect to a narrow production range of its RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. At that time, it was described as a performance and safety concern with no reported failures in the field.

It has recently come to our attention that during last weekend’s Cyclocross racing in the US, in sub freezing temperatures, several failures were reported. In these conditions the master cylinder seals failed to hold pressure resulting in abrupt loss of brake power, and an inability to stop the bike. These failures are related to product that is outside the originally stated date code range and unrelated to the original failure mode. No injuries have been reported to date.

As a result of this new finding, SRAM requests that anyone who has a bike equipped with SRAM Hydraulic Disc or Hydraulic Rim Brakes stop using the bike immediately. All products shipped to date, and currently in the market or in inventory will be recalled.

Further, we are asking our Bike Brand customers, OE factories, Distributors and Dealers to cease all sales and shipments of SRAM RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. A total of approximately 19,000 brake systems have been shipped to date into the global market.

Quarantine efforts currently underway with Factories, Bike Brands, and Distributors will be broadened to include all Dealers with inventory on bikes, or as Aftermarket product. Additional information related to timing and replacement of product will be forthcoming.

As originally announced we have reported this issue to the US CPSC and will be cooperating with the agency to announce a Safety Recall. We will also be contacting and working closely with appropriate like agencies in Europe and globally.

SRAM engineering and manufacturing is committed to the highest Quality standards. On behalf of all employees at SRAM we apologize for the business disruption to our customers business and to the individuals who have placed their trust in our products.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Wow. The whole road bike disc thing is certainly experiencing some teething problems. TRP also just recalled all of its Sprye calipers.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Wow. The whole road bike disc thing is certainly experiencing some teething problems. TRP also just recalled all of its Sprye calipers.
Jeez, it's not rocket science - considering how long they've been running on MTBs you wouldn't think it would be that hard to get right.

And what the hell is the point of hydraulic rim brakes?? Rim brakes are just shit, it's not going to make any difference whether they are hydraulic or cable activated.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Back in the day, before the mass availabilty of disc brakes I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes.
They were so powerful and freaking awesome.
I just think that using the rim of a wheel as a breaking surface is all wrong. Especially now that we have carbon wheels.

I was at a ride day at Mt Baw Baw last summer and on the shuttles we passed a big guy (many times) on a full carbon roadie making his way slowly up the hill. When he finally made it to the top and started descending, he fully destroyed his rear carbon rim after about 200m. The brake pads heated up the rim and cracked it, leading to the pads breaking right through. I believe he was using hydraulic rim brakes. He had a long walk down the hill to look forward too.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Jeez, it's not rocket science - considering how long they've been running on MTBs you wouldn't think it would be that hard to get right.
Ironic choice of phrase. The challenger space shuttle disaster was caused by exactly the same thing, seals failing in sub zero temperatures.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I just think that using the rim of a wheel as a breaking surface is all wrong. Especially now that we have carbon wheels.

I was at a ride day at Mt Baw Baw last summer and on the shuttles we passed a big guy (many times) on a full carbon roadie making his way slowly up the hill. When he finally made it to the top and started descending, he fully destroyed his rear carbon rim after about 200m. The brake pads heated up the rim and cracked it, leading to the pads breaking right through. I believe he was using hydraulic rim brakes. He had a long walk down the hill to look forward too.
Been there done that too except mine weren't full carbon. I'm a big bloke too.

John U

MTB Precision

My brother had a problem like that going down Baw Baw on his road bike. He was following a Porsche which held him up and had him riding the brakes. The rim (non carbon) heated up resulting in the rim tape pushing through the spoke holes. Blow out of the front tyre and face plant into the bitumen. Knocked him out cold. He was lucky it didn't kill him. I keep telling him he should fuck the road bikes off and get on the mountain bikes but he won't listen.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
At least they're recalling them.

Unlike shimano, who should have recalled their M820 saint brakes last year ago. Those seals don't hold pressure at any temperature.

udi

swiss cheese
At least they're recalling them.
Unlike shimano, who should have recalled their M820 saint brakes last year ago. Those seals don't hold pressure at any temperature.
Haha yeah, seen a heap of the new XTs leaking now too.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt

Hydraulic rim brakes were released in July 2013.

I love my avid brakes on my MTB bike and on my road bike, looks like I'm getting a replacement set for the roadie before it gets to minus temperatures here in the hills.