Sram 11 speed cassette with Shimano derailleur - good or bad idea?

3beers

Squid
Hey,

Quick question is if it is a good idea to mix and match have a sram 11 speed cassette and looking to run an xt derailleur with xtr shifter - is this a good or bad idea?

Found a thread on mtbr about it but that went on a fair bit and not sure if they are just fussy or what - also there seemed to be mention of goats.....I'm not so sure about that....

Thanks

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, go for it. Will work well. Has to be an 11 spd Shimano derailleur and shifter though obviously.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey,

Quick question is if it is a good idea to mix and match have a sram 11 speed cassette and looking to run an xt derailleur with xtr shifter - is this a good or bad idea?

Found a thread on mtbr about it but that went on a fair bit and not sure if they are just fussy or what - also there seemed to be mention of goats.....I'm not so sure about that....

Thanks
You looking to run a SRAM 11 speed cassette over a Shimano 11 speed cassette because you have an XD free hub body?
Or do you want the extra range of 10t over 11t?

SRAM 11 Cassette and Shimano 11 shift will work no problem, but its not worth it if you want SRAM 10-42t and need to replace your hub driver.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano and SRAM have always been cross compatible in the chain & cassette department. Note that most SRAM 11-sp. cassettes need a XD driver on the rear hub rather than a normal splined freewheel body due to the 10T top gear.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm running a Sram cassette with M8000 derailleur and shifter, no problems whatsoever. I did need the XD driver as mentioned.

My son's Povo is running the opposite, Sram shifter and derailleur with M8000 cassette. Also no problem.

3beers

Squid
Thanks - it's for a new build (which I havn't done before) so could have gone either way however picked up the sram cassette cheap so heading that way now. I seem to prefer the shimano shifters (and I'm not really amused by srams geo-blocking) so it will be a bit of mix with shimano shifter and derailleur, sram cassette, cranks and chainring, wheels will be new with an XD driver.

Cheers!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm running a Sram cassette with M8000 derailleur and shifter, no problems whatsoever. I did need the XD driver as mentioned.

My son's Povo is running the opposite, Sram shifter and derailleur with M8000 cassette. Also no problem.
All that said, SRAM NX uses a standard Shimano compatible driver, not an XD driver... just to confuse everyone even more.
But it is also only available with 11t minimum....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
All that said, SRAM NX uses a standard Shimano compatible driver, not an XD driver... just to confuse everyone even more.
But it is also only available with 11t minimum....
And still available from one of the Germans.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Already been answered, but I also run both variants on 2 bikes. Also just put a 10-46 sunrace on with a xt derailluer - including a goat link. Controlled by an x1 shifter. Changes great

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
is a goatlink worth it?

Already been answered, but I also run both variants on 2 bikes. Also just put a 10-46 sunrace on with a xt derailluer - including a goat link. Controlled by an x1 shifter. Changes great
Hi ktastrphe,

Did the goatlink make any difference?

The interwebs say that the 11t -> 10t shift is not crisp with a standard XT shadow+ derailleur.

-carpetrunner

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Hi ktastrphe,

Did the goatlink make any difference?

The interwebs say that the 11t -> 10t shift is not crisp with a standard XT shadow+ derailleur.

-carpetrunner
The shift is fine all the way through my 10-42 Sram cassette with a standard XT M8000 derailleur.

In fact, when I cchanged from the M8000 cassette to the Sram, that was all I had to do. Bolted the wheel back in and everything shifted perfectly, no derailleur or shifter adjustments were needed.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
I didn't test without the goat link - I don't think it would get into the 46t without it?
I'm running a x1 chain without issue. To be honest, don't think I've had it in the 10 cog in real life, only on the bike stand

3beers

Squid
The shift is fine all the way through my 10-42 Sram cassette with a standard XT M8000 derailleur.

In fact, when I cchanged from the M8000 cassette to the Sram, that was all I had to do. Bolted the wheel back in and everything shifted perfectly, no derailleur or shifter adjustments were needed.
Thanks this is what I was wondering about - sounds good if you have no dramas and don't need to involve goat links...

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Sorry, the goat link was only so it would accommodate the 46t, worked fine without one on the previous cassette up to 42t

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
So bent my XO1 derailler today. Will not be paying the SRAM Aus replacement price.

Looks like an XT derailler and XTR shifter combo will cost the same as a GX derailler.

So SRAM cranks+ SRAM casette + Shimano shifter and derailler + SRAM chain (I have a new spare) will work together nicely?? Which cage length do people run their shimano 1x11 setups? Long or medium cage?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So bent my XO1 derailler today. Will not be paying the SRAM Aus replacement price.

Looks like an XT derailler and XTR shifter combo will cost the same as a GX derailler.

So SRAM cranks+ SRAM casette + Shimano shifter and derailler + SRAM chain (I have a new spare) will work together nicely?? Which cage length do people run their shimano 1x11 setups? Long or medium cage?
It will work no problem. Med cage is enough even for 46t XT I believe.
Long cage for 2x and above.

SRAM geo blocking sucks arse.... but SRAM just shifts so much nicer imo.

Have you tried several Germans and ubyk for a SRAM rd?
You won't notice any difference between a Gx and X01 RD by the way...all the feel is in the lever.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
It will work no problem. Med cage is enough even for 46t XT I believe.
Long cage for 2x and above.

SRAM geo blocking sucks arse.... but SRAM just shifts so much nicer imo.

Have you tried several Germans and ubyk for a SRAM rd?
You won't notice any difference between a Gx and X01 RD by the way...all the feel is in the lever.
Cheers JT! Dam thats a good price on that GX mech, something else to think about.

I have to say that while I prefer the 10-42 range, my old 10 speed XTR felt much nicer to me...so seeing this as an opportunity to go for the best of both worlds. I also like how the shimano deraillers aren't as exposed as SRAM.