Spectator access to Maydena EWS (Edited title as information clarified)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Is this being talked about ?

Few buckos there but a Gov grant to cover it would certainly get that building at the top used.

Better accommodation options in Maydena would also help.
The cost would be ridiculous have to be in the millions to put a gondola up there. The business case to shove one on Mt Wellington didn't stand up financially so I can't see it even being considered.

Now an AFL stadium to house the 5000 odd supporters is money well spent however as that's something old P-Gut and Germ can put their names on.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yo o wash out your dirty mind @nathanm ! Stove top only with real butter and salt is the only way.
bro dude, you got way too much time on your hands for that level of shenanigan. Nuke'd popcorn is superior, and you don't have to stand around shaking and watching and ultimately burning at least half of the pot.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
bro dude, you got way too much time on your hands for that level of shenanigan. Nuke'd popcorn is superior, and you don't have to stand around shaking and watching and ultimately burning at least half of the pot.
Nuked popcorn is the go, but not the nasty bag bought crap. Real popcorn in a glass container with a big glob of real butter and salt and nuke away.

The fake butter+chemicals in the fake stuff is horrible...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The cost would be ridiculous have to be in the millions to put a gondola up there. The business case to shove one on Mt Wellington didn't stand up financially so I can't see it even being considered.
Was it not cultural and eyesore reasons that the Wellington chairlift died off ?

The shuttles aren’t cheap to run, and what Ive heard from some it’s more than you’d think.
It would be ridiculous !

2-3-4 busses running, driver wages, wear and tear on bus, shocks, tyres, fuel, insurance, then the rest of the staff in the park, trail teams, machinery etc... then retaining staff at Maydena, its 80km from Hobart and people need steady hours in remain remote locations.

There's no doubt that for $95 a day, its awesome value. Especially if you go hard and get around 7 uplifts in.

When you consider what other places charge for a day on average trails and you can get over 5km of uplift at Maydena for $95 with 70+ trails coming down in whatever combo you choose.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm calling you out! Popcorn against popcorn at dawn on the Nullarbor planes. The time of inferior popcorn is at an end!

Also, can I get lift out there? I can't ride that far.

The shuttles aren’t cheap to run, and what Ive heard from some it’s more than you’d think.
Maybe subsidise the cost with popcorn sales?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
stovetop yes, but cook with oil + butter, or oil only, so not so much burning.
a little butter over the popcorn to serve. :)

I think you mean a lot of butter over the popcorn to serve.

Also salted caramel (home made of course) is the best sheet option.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I think you mean a lot of butter over the popcorn to serve.

Also salted caramel (home made of course) is the best sheet option.
without specific measurements, we are probably talking about the same amount of Butter.

Home-made salted caramel sheets sounds kind of kinky. Tasty, but ever so slightly kinky. Not judging, just observing.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm calling you out! Popcorn against popcorn at dawn on the Nullarbor planes. The time of inferior popcorn is at an end!

Also, can I get lift out there? I can't ride that far.

Maybe subsidise the cost with popcorn sales?
I don't think many airlines will let you use the kitchen.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Was it not cultural and eyesore reasons that the Wellington chairlift died off
Yeah nah sorta. That was the argument soho residence used and I also agreed with.

End of the day the numbers just didn't stack up and it would not have been financially viable which was pretty obvious from the get go. Taswegians are tight arses and would continue to drive up and the tourist trade wouldn't have been enough.

without specific measurements, we are probably talking about the same amount of Butter.

Home-made salted caramel sheets sounds kind of kinky. Tasty, but ever so slightly kinky. Not judging, just observing.
Wasn't there a product called lolly gobble bliss bombs or some shit that was some caramel popcorn abomination?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yeah nah sorta. That was the argument soho residence used and I also agreed with.

End of the day the numbers just didn't stack up and it would not have been financially viable which was pretty obvious from the get go. Taswegians are tight arses and would continue to drive up and the tourist trade wouldn't have been enough.

Wasn't there a product called lolly gobble bliss bombs or some shit that was some caramel popcorn abomination?
yup, the caramel coating was the primary reason people bothered to eat it, IMO.

ausdb

Being who he is
I loved that shit as a kid, haven't had it in years. Probably should avoid trying it now lest it spoil blissful memories of yore.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Is this being talked about ?

Few buckos there but a Gov grant to cover it would certainly get that building at the top used.

Better accommodation options in Maydena would also help.
It's definitely on the future plans, I was talking to one of the staff up there and this would be an addition to the free to ride trails and walking trails in the park.
Accommodation will come, just remember Derby and no accommodation in the beginning. They will both evolve together and the demand increases.

Now an AFL stadium to house the 5000 odd supporters is money well spent however as that's something old P-Gut and Germ can put their names on.
A gonadal would be peanuts compared to a stadium (and like all football grounds, sits empty 90% of the time and loose money). The Mt Welington/Kunanyi gonadal was much larger that your typical ski resort type and it was a privately owned entity and they were still trying to get it up, right up to the end until the council finally knocked it back for the last time. I've never seen anything to say that they pulled out because the business case wasn't viable. Hobart's kunanyi/Mount Wellington cable car proposal fails as company declines to lodge appeal - ABC News
If you can make the privately owned chairlift and the Stanely nut viable you could certainly make one at Maydena work. Have the chairlift accessible for the general public, not just park users, add a few walking trails around the summit and have the summit facilities open for full business hours, it would be a drawcard on its own.

nathanm

Eats Squid
A gonadal would be peanuts compared to a stadium (and like all football grounds, sits empty 90% of the time and loose money). The Mt Welington/Kunanyi gonadal was much larger that your typical ski resort type and it was a privately owned entity and they were still trying to get it up, right up to the end until the council finally knocked it back for the last time. I've never seen anything to say that they pulled out because the business case wasn't viable. Hobart's kunanyi/Mount Wellington cable car proposal fails as company declines to lodge appeal - ABC News
Probably just me projecting then or getting confused with the AFL stadium which I'm certain when they ran a business case it would never make it's money back? I can't see how a chairlift/gondala etc would have been financially viable though? Yeah it would've been convenient for riding but I didn't want the eyesore whacked right in the middle of the mountain personally, I just couldn't see the point?

Maydena on the other hand would be amazing with some time of chairlift and I would fully support throwing the 430 million at that instead of the AFL stadium.

Off topic though, I feel for the Maydena trail crew after the event, some of those trails have been ripped to shreds. Hopefully they just leave them like that and change the ratings from Black to Double Black :D

I'm hoping to get up there to give them a crack prior to repairs as its looking insane, I have no idea how riders got down some of those trails so fast, let alone at all. Was an amazing spectacle.