Spectator access to Maydena EWS (Edited title as information clarified)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We built our current climb on a gentle gradient deliberately to cater for all abilities. This means it has to have switchbacks to fit into our property boundaries.

We’ve got a new, more direct climb being built as we speak on a new piece of land.

There is only so much we can do as a small family business. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a climbing trail to our summit isn’t something we can afford to do right now, particularly when we offer trail riding for free.

If you can name another business that has invested millions of dollars building MTB infrastructure that then offers it for free we’d be surprised! Ultimately, we do this for the love of the sport. If you’re not into our trails we are totally cool with that!

Again, no one is forcing you to ride our climb/park if you don’t like it! It’s a bit like hating on KFC because you want them to sell cheeseburgers.
Not quite, there is a road to ride up it seems. Anyway, just feels a bit off the spirit of the game is all - as I said there would be bugger all people wanting to do it, especially as you're more catering to the enduro bros more than people that like climbing.

Dunno, just felt a bit of a money grab - which is all fine as you say for a private business, but you've had a shit tonne of public money as well and just felt a bit wrong.

We lease our shuttle road access from 3 parties and a condition of our leases and approvals means we can’t allow riding on the road. To be honest we would never allow it anyway for safety reasons.

If you check out our 5 year plan, we have actually included a climb to the summit in our works program.

Not quite, there is a road to ride up it seems. Anyway, just feels a bit off the spirit of the game is all - as I said there would be bugger all people wanting to do it, especially as you're more catering to the enduro bros more than people that like climbing.

Dunno, just felt a bit of a money grab - which is all fine as you say for a private business, but you've had a shit tonne of public money as well and just felt a bit wrong.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
We actually advertised a spectator trail map on our socials, placed it on our web site, and had QR codes up around the venue. We also had staff across the course managing the crowd, even though it wasn’t our responsibility. This is more than anyone has ever done at an EWS according to pro riders and the event team.

We were not responsible for course marshalling, so no comment there.

Every pro rider we spoke to (literally dozens of them) and their team manager said that this was the best crowd they’ve ever experienced at an enduro event. They love the noise and chaos.

You have an astounding ability to always try and pick holes in everything we do, Nathan. You came out, spectated for free, and seemingly had a pretty good time. It would be nice if you could just leave it at that.

If our venue bothers you so much it’s about time probably time you consider riding somewhere else…
If this is Frenchie writing these posts kudos to you mate for everything you did, including getting your hands dirty constantly throughout the event taping the routes in real time to try and manage the spectators. I had an awesome day.

One constructive suggestion for next time is to physically mark walking up routes. I knew about the trail maps online, and as I know the park well I could easily navigate, but for people who were there for the first time it would've been pretty confusing as the trail markers are generally descending only. Especially in the bottom section before the lower shuttle road entry into the forest there were a number of old unused trails that were much more direct than the bike climbing route, and would've reduced rider/ walker conflict

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

It’s a good point and something we wanted to do. We are a really small team though, and we simply ran out of time with everything we needed to do to put this event together.

If this is Frenchie writing these posts kudos to you mate for everything you did, including getting your hands dirty constantly throughout the event taping the routes in real time to try and manage the spectators. I had an awesome day.

One constructive suggestion for next time is to physically mark walking up routes. I knew about the trail maps online, and as I know the park well I could easily navigate, but for people who were there for the first time it would've been pretty confusing as the trail markers are generally descending only. Especially in the bottom section before the lower shuttle road entry into the forest there were a number of old unused trails that were much more direct than the bike climbing route, and would've reduced rider/ walker conflict

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
as I said there would be bugger all people wanting to do it,
Then not sure why they'd offer it and have to spend thousands (if not more) building and maintaining specific climbing trails to the top.

I'm sure that money would be better spent elsewhere in the park.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Then not sure why they'd offer it and have to spend thousands (if not more) building and maintaining specific climbing trails to the top.

Take it out of the public grant funding then ;)

Anyway, not wanting to make it a whole thing - it just felt a bit off. Probably just still put off shuttling by Vertigo at Derby and their crappy attitude.

nathanm

Eats Squid
We actually advertised a spectator trail map on our socials, placed it on our web site, and had QR codes up around the venue. We also had staff across the course managing the crowd, even though it wasn’t our responsibility. This is more than anyone has ever done at an EWS according to pro riders and the event team.

We were not responsible for course marshalling, so no comment there.

Every pro rider we spoke to (literally dozens of them) and their team manager said that this was the best crowd they’ve ever experienced at an enduro event. They love the noise and chaos.

You have an astounding ability to always try and pick holes in everything we do, Nathan. You came out, spectated for free, and seemingly had a pretty good time. It would be nice if you could just leave it at that.

If our venue bothers you so much it’s about time probably time you consider riding somewhere else…
Wasn't out to pick holes in the park or the park management, but like all events things can be learnt from and done better. If marshalling wasn't your responsibility then hopefully feedback can be passed on as there were some very near misses as highlighted.
If I wanted to pick holes I wouldve commented on the gov funding, volunteer track cleaning etc.
But I 100% support this event and want it back every year. I would even happily put my tail between my legs and voluntarily help out to make sure the event goes ahead.
In regards to Maydena Park itself I'm now a firm supporter of the park itself and what it brings to the state and riding and tourism etc.
But holy shit you guys need to get a thicker skin, stop getting offended by every comment you dont feel is positive and actually take some feedback with getting defensive and aggressive with perceived negative comments.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

A climbing trail to the top or even just to the Pandani/ Clifftop Junction would actually be handy if you wanted to stop at the midline when descending from the summit, and ride back to access the upper trails.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I wouldn't be too concerned with public funding to a private company. It happens all the time and not just to tourism companies, all sectors of industry get public funding.
The whole park came about because Forestry Tas fell over and the State Government had already pumped $6+million into the summit structure and were looking for quite some time, for someone to take it on. It was a big financial risk for Simon to take on to launch, and I'm glad it all worked out as Tassie has another iconic trail destination that slots in with the diversity of all our other trail networks around the state.
I'm not too fussed about being able to climb to the very top as the majority of trails are below midline anyway, and it's such a big pedal up you would only get two rides up and down in a day anyway.
Yes, the park has its flaws like maintenance, and a few facilities lacking like showers, but overall it's a great place to ride.
There are plans for free to ride trails on the other side of the town from the Park so that will give us another option.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The Eagles Eyrie building has not been open on our last 2-3 visits, it was open first year we went there but haven't seen it open since and we are there in peak season each time.
I went up there for a sunset dinner in January and they ran a few of those over summer. I think they were reasonably successful so it's something they would probably do again. It's just staffing it that's one of the issues and you are looking at a different cliental as the riders that are getting dropped off to ride aren't going to be stopping off before sending it down the trail. It would either be more for the at the end of the day special meal treat for riders or totally looking at a different tourist market all together. That's where the gondola would be the key to making is more than just a mountain bike destination.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's where the gondola would be the key to making is more than just a mountain bike destination.
Is this being talked about ?

Few buckos there but a Gov grant to cover it would certainly get that building at the top used.

Better accommodation options in Maydena would also help.