Spectator access to Maydena EWS (Edited title as information clarified)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Caught up with a couple of mates for a ride yesterday who told me it would be $50 for spectator access to watch the EWS which I admit was a huge surprise as I thought it would've been free, but I am naive to such things.

So having a look this morning and indeed I read on the Maydena Website it will cost $50 to "walk up" to spectate, but as part of this fee you do get the access to shuttles, if you choose, as well and I'm assuming its free to access the event village.

Now I've been critical of the parks senior management before so I'll try not to let that prejudice my thoughts but charging $50 for spectators walking the lower sections is just taking the piss. It should be free for foot traffic IMO.

However it looks like you can still take your bike up the lower mountain buggy for $12 or the bus for $25 to midline. However given the amount of people attending the event and the lack of vehicles these options, I imagine are going to be very, very limited and I can see people queuing for hours. Had another mate stop me this morning who went to Maydena yesterday and was only able to do 4 runs due to limited, slow and infrequent shuttles across the entire day. I did hear that a new fleet of buses were being purchased which I assume will be implemented prior to the event. Apparently much of the current fleet of shuttle buses are pretty rooted which is no surprise considering the shared shuttle road is in incredibly poor condition.

I thought it would have made more sense to have less bikes on the hill and foot spectators encouraged not discouraged by pricing and logistics? I can't imagine Derby or the local shuttle operators (particularly given their current struggles) there charging like wounded bulls? But given I've never been to or part of an event of this size this all could be pretty standard fare?

It's Jayne's birthday that weekend and all she wants to do is go and meet Jose Borges in person as he's her hall pass. I'm genuinely concerned for his physical welfare. But she's concerned now about the cost given it could turn into an expensive weekend just to see people ride bikes. Regardless I'm taking her but still it's disappointing.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These events do cost so if there is no other way to pay for it via drinks food, accommodation than it might be the only way for it to be a reality.

People pay more to go to music festivals and have the pleasure of lining up for hours to use a portaloo.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I remember the 2008 world cup at Stromlo was free, but the Worlds in 2009 were price ticketed, same with Cairns Worlds.

Makes sense that there would be a fee these days, especially with the UCI on board!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a sporting event with professional athletes at it I just assumed the EWS would be a pay-to-spectate activity.
$50 seems slightly steep (Maydena pun?) as you'd be looking at $200 to take a family and would have guessed the price would be between $20-$30, but there may also be family deals and I have no idea whether what's offered in the event village means you're actually getting a bit more bang for your buck

Hey guys,

This is absolutely incorrect. Spectating is free! You can walk up anywhere on the hill (using specific trails for access) at zero cost. Our trail riding pass is also free if you wish to ride around the venue to spectate yourself. The ‘walking’ reference to the $50 spectator pass means you can’t take a bike on this service as these buses won’t have trailers.

We offer two paid premium spectator options for those who want to get the most out of the spectating experience:

- $50 spectator shuttle pass (unlimited up/down pass rides to 3 drop off points all day)
- $75 hecklers trail ride (guided trail ride, uplift and VIP access to a number of viewing

We’ve invested over $250k into securing and preparing for this event, and the Tasmanian state govt has invested a further $250k in hosting costs. We are proud to be able to offer free entry, but this doesn’t mean we can’t offer paid options for those who want them.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey guys,

This is absolutely incorrect. Spectating is free! As is our trail riding pass if you wish to ride around the venue to spectate yourself.

We offer two paid premium spectator options for those who want to get the most out of the spectating experience:

- $50 spectator shuttle pass (unlimited up/down pass rides to3 drop off points all day)
- $75 hecklers trail ride (guided trail ride, uplift and VIP access to a number of viewing

We’ve invested over $250k into securing and preparing for this event, and the Tasmanian state govt has invested a further $250k in hosting costs. We are proud to be able to offer free entry, but this doesn’t mean we can’t offer paid options for those who want them.
Sounds all fair and reasonable

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hey guys,

This is absolutely incorrect. Spectating is free! You can walk up anywhere on the hill (using specific trails for access) at zero cost. Our trail riding pass is also free if you wish to ride around the venue to spectate yourself. The ‘walking’ reference to the $50 spectator pass means you can’t take a bike on this service as these buses won’t have trailers.

- $50 spectator shuttle pass (unlimited up/down pass rides to 3 drop off points all day)

Thanks for jumping on and clarifying. Hope it goes well!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Hey guys,

Is there a paid option for @nathanm partner to meet her hall pass? Happy to pre pay this on his behalf

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hey guys,

Absolutely awesome to hear and appreciate the time taken to clarify. Saw you've update your page now as well to clarify, as this morning it indicated that spectators would be charged to walk up the hill.

Now we can return to our original stoke on coming up to watch the EWS.

Last edited:

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Glad this was clarified.. I must admit I was slightly confused by some of the options when I was glancing over the pricing late last night :/

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Caught up with a couple of mates for a ride yesterday who told me it would be $50 for spectator access to watch the EWS which I admit was a huge surprise as I thought it would've been free, but I am naive to such things.

So having a look this morning and indeed I read on the Maydena Website it will cost $50 to "walk up" to spectate, but as part of this fee you do get the access to shuttles, if you choose, as well and I'm assuming its free to access the event village.

Now I've been critical of the parks senior management before so I'll try not to let that prejudice my thoughts but charging $50 for spectators walking the lower sections is just taking the piss. It should be free for foot traffic IMO.

However it looks like you can still take your bike up the lower mountain buggy for $12 or the bus for $25 to midline. However given the amount of people attending the event and the lack of vehicles these options, I imagine are going to be very, very limited and I can see people queuing for hours. Had another mate stop me this morning who went to Maydena yesterday and was only able to do 4 runs due to limited, slow and infrequent shuttles across the entire day. I did hear that a new fleet of buses were being purchased which I assume will be implemented prior to the event. Apparently much of the current fleet of shuttle buses are pretty rooted which is no surprise considering the shared shuttle road is in incredibly poor condition.

I thought it would have made more sense to have less bikes on the hill and foot spectators encouraged not discouraged by pricing and logistics? I can't imagine Derby or the local shuttle operators (particularly given their current struggles) there charging like wounded bulls? But given I've never been to or part of an event of this size this all could be pretty standard fare?

It's Jayne's birthday that weekend and all she wants to do is go and meet Jose Borges in person as he's her hall pass. I'm genuinely concerned for his physical welfare. But she's concerned now about the cost given it could turn into an expensive weekend just to see people ride bikes. Regardless I'm taking her but still it's disappointing.
I don't know you from a bar of soap, @nathanm . And I wasn't listening to your conversation, if it was you, but I am not deaf. But were you up at the top of them new Rocky Wheel'n track yesterday on a black Canyon? A couple of mates, one on a Transition and another on a Mondraker? Big guy, big beard?

nathanm

Eats Squid
I don't know you from a bar of soap, @nathanm . And I wasn't listening to your conversation, if it was you, but I am not deaf. But were you up at the top of them new Rocky Wheel'n track yesterday on a black Canyon? A couple of mates, one on a Transition and another on a Mondraker? Big guy, big beard?
Breathing so hard you'd think I just ran a marathon? Yeah that was me and I wouldn't be and am not concerned about you overhearing our discussion, I'm sure I was loud and everyone on the mountain would have heard me. I'm just as happy to discuss my opinions with anyone in person as I am online though I hope my tone is a bit more gentle in person as it would have more context.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
On that.. thoughts on the new trails? Haven’t had a chance to get to them yet and have struggled to find any videos on social media/YouTube

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On that.. thoughts on the new trails? Haven’t had a chance to get to them yet and have struggled to find any videos on social media/YouTube
There are a couple of newly opened trails starting not to far from The Drops off O'Grady Falls fire trail. One climbing, Rocky Wheel'n and a parallel descending track. Both green. I did speak to the big bearded guy's mate on the Mondraker. I connected the dots when @nathanm mentioned in his wanting to meet Jose Borges. I was the guy on the Giant in the blue top and Yvonne was on the Canyon Exceed. Small world.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I connected the dots when @nathanm mentioned in his wanting to meet Jose Borges. I was the guy on the Giant in the blue top and Yvonne was on the Canyon Exceed. Small world.
Hobarts a small place really, everyone knows everyone and we're all related. Sorry again I left my bike in the way, sitting down was a priority at that point. Oh and my partner is in love with Jose not me (but hes a good looking unit), she sent him an instagram message during an Enduro race and he read it out to and showed Jack Moir on one of his racing vlogs. It was the highlight of her year as you could see her name/profile on the screen.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Was up there for the finals today and it was a tremendous scene on the hill. Kudos to Maydena Bike Park for putting on an awesome show. Absolute banger of a day, and I've never seen the place looking as dry as it is currently, there's proper bulldust on some of the shuttle roads. Also wasn't as busy as I expected so I wonder if the confusion about access pricing had some impact. I certainly had to set a couple of mates straight on it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk