Specialized Stumpjumper

PJO

in me vL comy
Has anyone ridden the new Spec. Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper EVO?
Do they pedal well?
Reviews say that Stumpjumpers don't have particularly good pedalling characteristics.

Was lucky enough to win a bike and I'm contemplating whether it is worth keeping and if so whether to get the EVO version or the regular "trail" version.
I'm really enjoying riding my hardtail so not sure if I want another bike at the mo... (I know this goes against the n+1 mantra here on RB but...)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Has anyone ridden the new Spec. Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper EVO?
Do they pedal well?
Reviews say that Stumpjumpers don't have particularly good pedalling characteristics.

Was lucky enough to win a bike and I'm contemplating whether it is worth keeping and if so whether to get the EVO version or the regular "trail" version.
I'm really enjoying riding my hardtail so not sure if I want another bike at the mo... (I know this goes against the n+1 mantra here on RB but...)
From memory the latest models went away from the FSR suspension design and are reputed to pedal more efficiently IIRC. But I would fact check that because I only skim-read Specialized reviews.

Reactions: PJO

beeb

Is that because the value on Specialized bikes is only skim deep?
More the 25% added cost for 0% added benefit. I think the last few years their stuff has mostly been well thought out, but f*** me the prices make me go “Nope!”.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
More the 25% added cost for 0% added benefit. I think the last few years their stuff has mostly been well thought out, but f*** me the prices make me go “Nope!”.
I might be remembering it wrong but their alloy stumpjumper was very competitive price wise when I last looked, and it was somewhat available. I think I remember because of the shock.

Edit just checked and base model is $3300 and the first you would want the components on was $5300. Right in line with current trends I think.

beeb

I might be remembering it wrong but their alloy stumpjumper was very competitive price wise when I last looked, and it was somewhat available. I think I remember because of the shock.

Edit just checked and base model is $3300 and the first you would want the components on was $5300. Right in line with current trends I think.
Fair indeed. I suspect I was looking at their carbon offerings. Have a look at the price of a Spec Epic EVO frameset!

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I can say that the newer Stumpjumpers do pedal better than older bikes, can't say whether or not they're better than others for the money though. Lower end spec can be rather ordinary in terms of suspension performance. The linkage arrangement of the Stumpy is good at catching rocks and debris too.
I'd buy one again, awkwardly mine was better spec for the price than the other bikes I was looking at (and preferred) at the time. If you get a free one though, hard to argue.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
The new EVO is an impressive overall bike. I did very little time on the 2019/20 EVO so I cannot compare to that.
Compared to the ‘19 Stumpy and the ‘20 Enduro I prefer all facets of the new model. Except maybe the lack of plow-on-through-ness I had with the Enduro. Extra travel and plenty of adjustability with geometry make it versitile.
I’ve gotten faster and had more fun along the way so in my heavily Specialized biased eyes the EVO wins.

PJO

in me vL comy
Get. Out!

:p
Yeah, I'll see myself out.

What I won is the base model Stumpy and I'm figuring I won't appreciate the spec. The few times I've had mid/lower spec sram gear I haven't been impressed (it was a while ago now). Would be different if it was Deore instead of SX. So was wondering about stumping up some extra cash to get the next model up or the Evo version, but both are still running NX though so still not really that keen.

Or just sell it and put it towards a frame that I'd be more interested in.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on whether a 2021 or 2022 - mountain bike rider - uk ? did a group test and it fared well - as in doesn’t matter the spec , goes well as a bike .
Can always upgrade …. It’s not like no one here has never changed anything on a brand new bike

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've test ridden a 2020 Stumpy Evo and was very impressed with it. Not sure if it was all down to the 29er wheels compared to the 27.5 on my old 2015 Sight but it was super fast up the hills and over chunky flat ground and I was overshooting some jumps I normally need a good run at on my Sight. The price was a bit of a sticking point and apparently the stock hubs are shit, even in the higher end models. They just eat wheel bearings, just a poor design. A mate of mine has one and loves it but he got another set of wheels as he was sick of rebuilding the rear wheel.

PJO

in me vL comy
I've test ridden a 2020 Stumpy Evo and was very impressed with it. Not sure if it was all down to the 29er wheels compared to the 27.5 on my old 2015 Sight but it was super fast up the hills and over chunky flat ground and I was overshooting some jumps I normally need a good run at on my Sight. The price was a bit of a sticking point and apparently the stock hubs are shit, even in the higher end models. They just eat wheel bearings, just a poor design. A mate of mine has one and loves it but he got another set of wheels as he was sick of rebuilding the rear wheel.
Yeah the more I read the more I should add in some cash and get the EVO.
Have no problems building myself a new set of wheels, have a nice set of hubs already waiting...

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
The low end forks on the Stumpy are pretty ordinary, mine ended up replaced with a Lyrik under warranty so can't complain on that aspect. One or two steps up from the bottom of the range and the suspension spec improves markedly.
Haven't really checked but suspect the wheel bearing argument is correct, the set that came off mine are a little less smooth than what they should be for the time I've spent on the bike...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The low end forks on the Stumpy are pretty ordinary, mine ended up replaced with a Lyrik under warranty so can't complain on that aspect. One or two steps up from the bottom of the range and the suspension spec improves markedly.
Haven't really checked but suspect the wheel bearing argument is correct, the set that came off mine are a little less smooth than what they should be for the time I've spent on the bike...
My mate was saying the design that clamps the bearing in pushes them inwards towards each other and that side loads them and wears them out prematurely. He had a spacer made up to go in between them that improved it but still wasn't great.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My mate was saying the design that clamps the bearing in pushes them inwards towards each other and that side loads them and wears them out prematurely. He had a spacer made up to go in between them that improved it but still wasn't great.
Would acb bearings help?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk