Sooo - I want an E-Bike

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t know if the “tide of opinion” has shifted so to speak I think most of us have just learned to keep our traps shut when the evil “E” word is mentioned. Lol
I was open minded about them. Seemed a bit wrong, but I waited until I could ride one, my part time work at an LBS has given me access to a Turbo Levo demo bike, and now a Levo SL too (yet to ride that) so I've had a couple of decent rides on the Turbo Levo and it's loads of FUN !! the boring bits of the trail become fun.
The only things I didn't like were hitting motor drag at 25km/h, and the weight catching me out when I tried to slide the back wheel around a tight corner - just about did a 180 ! The tech is still developing so I'm thinking it's a year or two away for me when I say yeah ok now is the time.
Battery replacement and water ingress are the only concerns that come to mind.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
the boring bits of the trail become fun.
I think the only concern I have is showing etiquette for those who don't have enough cash to throw down on an additional $6k+ bike, or have a level of fitness that they still can ride up, or are not too time poor, nor hungover, or just enjoy the climb.

If they proliferate enough that I have a dozen of them coming up my ass on a 5km climb and expecting me to move over before the wider fire trail crossings because they want to get max runs after getting on the piss the night before, I'll probably be slighly annoyed at having my ride interrupted, and I think that's reasonable.

I would love to get one for my wife so she could easily keep up with me on climbs, but I'm also happy to wait for her because we don't have a spare $6k+ kicking around.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
If they proliferate enough that I have a dozen of them coming up my ass on a 5km climb and expecting me to move over before the wider fire trail crossings because they want to get max runs after getting on the piss the night before, I'll probably be slighly annoyed at having my ride interrupted, and I think that's reasonable.
I don't really have an issue with them and I ride with guys on them from time to time no dramas, but that's my main concern when they become more common on the trails - I'll be the guy in the horse and cart holding up everyone up on the freeway. That and the backwards step from an environmental point of view.

But I know I'll need one in the future and I for one welcome our new electric overlords.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
and expecting me to move over before the wider fire trail crossings because they want to get max runs after getting on the piss the night before, I'll probably be slighly annoyed at having my ride interrupted, and I think that's reasonable.
Yep, totally agree. Same good vibes as anyone catching you coming down a trail, just chill out man. It ain't a race and if people can't see the potential value in cruising up and saying G'day then they can eat a bag of dicks.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You can certainly imagine those little cut lines at Stromlo proliferating further in that situation.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
It took me so many goes - I was going to name more people - But then it felt like I left people out - So I just went simple :)

I just wish the battery hadnt dropped out on the gap jump :(
all done without so much as a smirk, well done..
have you downloaded the RideControl App yet...you have missed all the fun of the last version being MIA for months and finally a relaunch only in the last week or so, only to find some things better, but mostly shite!

Minlak

custom titis
all done without so much as a smirk, well done..
have you downloaded the RideControl App yet...you have missed all the fun of the last version being MIA for months and finally a relaunch only in the last week or so, only to find some things better, but mostly shite!
I downloaded it yesterday but only tried to connect it today - I had heard horror stories and wanted to ride today so didn’t want to run any risks of bricking something - I needn’t have worried no updates for me anyway - app connected straight away it all seems to function as it should - there isn’t much you can do with the bike it seems anyway but I can run a diag and see totals. I would never use it for a ride anyway as have a Garmin.

The security minded person in me is a little uncomfortable that there is no security around the connection - but not a big demand for e-bike hackers yet.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Well I’ll sleep better tonight knowing your chain is secure.
Criminal selling a bike without a guide.