Solar... who's clued in?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
So, the fat skin sack threw a pretty pile of coin at solar... just had a 8kW solar and a filthy elmo battery installed..... Interesting journey! The meter box on the fat sacks house also has an amazing back story.... serious arking can be seen where someone cut the mains power (and probably needed new underpants and a skin transplant) as discovered from the recent install...... We will need a new meter box (for future proofing and safety)....... Currently enjoying all the electrons from the suns power.... so, where too next? Who is a good supplier for those with electrons for sale?

S

bear the bear

Is a real bear
So, the fat skin sack threw a pretty pile of coin at solar... just had a 8kW solar and a filthy elmo battery installed..... Interesting journey! The meter box on the fat sacks house also has an amazing back story.... serious arking can be seen where someone cut the mains power (and probably needed new underpants and a skin transplant) as discovered from the recent install...... We will need a new meter box (for future proofing and safety)....... Currently enjoying all the electrons from the suns power.... so, where too next? Who is a good supplier for those with electrons for sale?

S
WHy the filthy elmo battery?
Did you do the numbers and they work out? (Numbers don't work for the ACT due to EvoEnergy's pricing)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Did you do the numbers and they work out? (Numbers don't work for the ACT due to EvoEnergy's pricing)
When you say the numbers don't work out with the battery, how so?

I'm very new at this solar caper and trying to get my head around everything...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
When you say the numbers don't work out with the battery, how so?

I'm very new at this solar caper and trying to get my head around everything...
The cost of the battery vs power drawn from the grid at night.
When we looked 4 years ago a battery was going to be $20K (almost double the cost of the rest of the system).
The price of power in the ACT is the lowest in the country.
To recoup the cost of the battery was going to take decades and longer than the life of the battery.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, for those on the fence - power companies have ' advised prices will increase 25% on July 1 '

I'm not doom and gloom , but that is a kick in the balls .

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
At the moment, the numbers dont really work out, but yeah, the day after it was all switched on.... power prices here are set to go up 25%... and they aren't coming back down soon... plus we wanted to move to an off grid system..... and the majority of the power will go back to the grid (at a pathetic price we're sure.....)

S

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Also, for those on the fence - power companies have ' advised prices will increase 25% on July 1 '

I'm not doom and gloom , but that is a kick in the balls .
Interesting.....
I got my energy plan renewal the other week from Evo and struggled to notice any changes. I'm assuming because I am renewing before 1st July, I am safe for 11 months?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So...I keep getting spammed with ads telling me I should get me some free solar from the NSW government. With the surging power prices it may almost be a reality! But...

I had a look all over the NSW gov energy site and the only information I can find about free solar installation or a rebate for it seems to be for pensioners or low income households.

Is there a reputable dealer of this stuff in the newcastle are? My average daily consumption over the last year swings between 2.5 to 5.7kw, so I am not expecting much.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

MasterOfReality

After forever
About to embark on this journey. Had a gutful of $900-1200/qtr bills, and that's before the massive hike. Solar was always on the list for us but kept getting pushed back due to other expenses.

We use around 40-50kw/hr according to the bills. Skillion roof, 11 deg pitch, 415sqm total roof area, one side faces east the other west.

The missus wants an EV for her next car as well. Basic google research seems like I'm looking at something like a 12-16kW system. Obviously not that simple to calculate. House already has three phase.

indica

Serial flasher
one side faces east the other west.
I had a split E/W system on the old house and it certainly has it's benefits. Find a good installer (obviously) and go 1/2 on each.

Basic google research seems like I'm looking at something like a 12-16kW system.
Go big. 16 is good, I have 16.65 and have not had a bill since it was installed (including when I had two houses and would use the feed in tarrif to pay for the other house bill)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Go big. 16 is good, I have 16.65 and have not had a bill since it was installed (including when I had two houses and would use the feed in tarrif to pay for the other house bill)
That's what I'm thinking too. The better half keeps seeing ads for 6kw $7k systems and has it in her head that's all we need. I'm like fuck no we need to get as much on there as possible and its gonna be closer to $20k than $10k.............of course she doesn't believe it and arguments ensue :p

Better get someone around to have a look I suppose.

Edit - Neighbour across the road filled every square cm with panels, including all the street facing parts, looks absolutely shithouse in my opinion. At least we have the skillion roof and won't see the eyesore from the street which is a bonus, I like the discreet look.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
I'm like fuck no we need to get as much on there as possible and its gonna be closer to $20k than $10k
I covered my roof. The builder had to strengthen the roof as there is a fair bit. 45 panels and we get over 100 kWh on a good day. Good having 3 phase because you can (depends) feed in more.
The feed in tariff is not always heaps but it pays us.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Wow I never even considered this!
It's also worth checking to see if your area isn't already loaded up with solar. If it is then there's no point going big as your inverter will just dump the energy because the local grid won't take it. So you've got to be able to put it somewhere else. A reputable system designer (as opposed to just an installer) will be able to help you out. It's not straightforward but have a squiz at the clean energy council website to find accredited service providers in your area.

indica

Serial flasher
Wow I never even considered this!
New build so was all good.
A reputable system designer (as opposed to just an installer) will be able to help you out.
YES. Mine did.
We had the line voltage too high for a bit and my installer had it sorted well fast - he had Ergon fix their side, sort some setting in the transformer, and I have a mate that had the same issue and Ergon would not sort it.

@MasterOfReality - issue being, if the line voltage is too high (which can occur with too much solar in the area - your inverter detects this and will shutdown, as it does not have enough voltage to "push" power to the grid. This means you don't get any solar at all until the voltage difference changes