Soft cocks??? Really?

Yep

Squid
Hi all,

Although this is my first post I have been a keen lurker for a while now and have gained many tips and handy advice for some of the regular posters on rotorburn and have had many chuckles from some of the tounge in cheek banter as well.

On a ride last weekend at the new "gunjin" trails in w.a I was faced with a situation I have only ever come across in some of the other sports I part take in (surfing, kitesurfing) and it was agro :kev: . How it all happened, for the first time since I started mountain biking 2.5 yrs ago myself and a couple of mate decided to shuttle the gunjin trails so we could get a few more down runs in as we were restricted by time this day. On our second run back to the top we got a few comments on if we were "worthy" of any downs because we haven't earned them???? Surely we had, seeing as though it was the first time we had shuttled since we started riding. But that was all cool, the guys making the comment were still having a bit of a laugh with us about it.

Anyway, at the bottom of our second last run I encountered what I can only describe as "someone with a death wish" :dance: a 50ish yr old dude was showing his buddies the new trails and as he rode past within 2 meters of us while we were loading the bikes back up said out loud " this is where all the soft cocks load up there bikes and drive to the top". Now I'm all for a bit of cheek and banter but this wasn't for laughs, this guy was seriously pissed that we weren't riding back to the top, so after I picked my jaw up off the ground and gave him a not so friendly reply and I found it had really changed the mood of the day. Not once in 2.5yrs have I seen or heard any agro in this sport, nearly all encounters with other riders has been friendly/ helpful.

Now I know we shouldnt judge a book by its cover but I would have loved to follow him down a run and see who the real soft cock was as he rolled every double and b lined every drop. Just saying.:fear::fear::fear:

Sorry to make my first post on here a bitch but I thought I might put it out there a see if anyone else has come across this type of attitude before, and if shuttling is really frowned upon?

Cheers

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Sounds like a tosser.
You don't need to 'earn' the right to shuttle.

Let me guess, he had to ride a hardtail with no suspension for five years before he earned the right to ride suspension? There is no differenece. It's just something that we do to get more out of our hobby / sport.
Shuttling is simply a practical way to get the most fun out of a ride session. If he is too blind to see that then he is a f*cktard.

I bet he wouldn't front up to Sam Hill at the start of a run and say "You got shuttled up there? Well Sam, that makes you a soft c0ck".

What a d ick.

Don't let him get to you.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yep- nothing wrong with shuttling mate- I would suggest they were taking the p*ss rather than full blown aggression- but I wasnt there. The poor old guy probably saw that you were getting in multiple runs and he had to climb back up each time.

If I was that old guy I would have stopped for a chat to see if I can throw my bike in too.

There are negative people everywhere mate- just smile and move on

scblack

Leucocholic
He is just an ignorant fool, who has no idea what he is talking about.

If you ride up you may get two runs.

If you shuttle youll get 5-6 or more runs in. Same effort expended with much more downhill enjoyment.

Ignore the dickhead, he is just showing he does not know what DH is all about.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I don't think it would be too feasible to slag a downhill rider as a soft cock in any circumstance and regardless of the way you tackle the obstacles on the trail. I hate it when people say "Ooooo, you're one of those crazy guys that does that extreme stuff!". That shits me mainly because I see downhill as the technical side of cycling and you need to learn a specific set of skills to enjoy it with the main skill being confidence and mental strength. Some go big, some go fast, some smile and don't give a hoot about the clock. If this guy thinks you're a softcock for getting more runs in then he's showing his age and doing the old "back in my day!". In his defense, if he rides his bike back up, does a run then does it all over again then he may well be the Chuck Norris of mountain biking and he speaks the truth! We're all soft cocks! ;)
Me? I would have kicked his walking frame out from under him, stood on his rigid forks and folded his front wheel up. Jerk.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh man, havnt had a chance to do shuttles at gunjin yet, going to try and organise some this weekend. The ride up sucks dick tbh. It just twist back and forth and eventually you end up at the top. Fuck that if i wanted too spend the majority of my day blowing my knees out i would have bought a hardtail. Just ignore the fuckwits, their are plenty of them out there riding around the kala circuit.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Pin it soft cock! :tape2:

But seriously, I'd shuttle every climb if I could convince the missus to follow me around the trails in the RAV..................I am a clapped out old fatty though.

wembas

Likes Dirt
i used to kind of think in a similar way.... ie - you should do the climb to earn the fun of the downhill..... but that was before i got a dually and started doing runs... Its farkin awesome - you can learn the lines on a track so quick and have a lot more fun.

he was just jealous is all. If he could do the runs he would have.

a mix of ignorance and jealousy.

Just enjoy yourself mate and ignore the haters

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Maybe I'm getting old and don't give a * but why do you even care about what a total stranger who most likely never meet again thinks of you?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Personally this type of thing really rubs me the wrong way. Who gives this bloke and people like him the authority to judge people on such a ridiculous thing. Worse yet he had such moral superiority he thinks it's okay to make a verbal slur. Most likely as he knew it would most likely go ignored thus giving him yet another boasting points to his mate. Good on you for giving him a spray back.

personally I would have knocked him off his bike and maybe a couple more for being a complete fucktard who doesn't deserve to ride a bike, let along be out in public.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh man, havnt had a chance to do shuttles at gunjin yet, going to try and organise some this weekend. The ride up sucks dick tbh. It just twist back and forth and eventually you end up at the top. Fuck that if i wanted too spend the majority of my day blowing my knees out i would have bought a hardtail. Just ignore the fuckwits, their are plenty of them out there riding around the kala circuit.
I was out there yesterday and rode each of lines twice and had to ride/push up. The uptrack next to the Gungin Rd is sweet, but I understand how riding back up when there is a perfectly good access road running almost parallel would seem a bit futile. Mid week is the only time I would think of going anywhere near that entire area as it is becoming incredibly crowded with riders. There is no way I would attempt to push back up any of the lines, I would push the uptrack next to Gungin Rd.

Apparently, last weekend the carpark at Dell was overflowing out onto the Weir Rd and The Camel Farm carpark was overflowing. That is a lot of riders in a geographically small area. I suspect it is a symptom of so many more people riding on weekends, taking advantage of the developing trail network out there and I cannot say I blame them....it is a fuck-ton of fun.

It is a credit to the people who have invested the time and effort into lobbying for and building these trails. I just really hope that the trails don't become as crowded as the surf has...or if they do people make an effort to remember trail etiquette and don't leave any rubbish behind.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He's right you know, if you were truly hard, you'd ride up that hill, then catch the shuttle down so you can put in more climbs, ya pussies!