Soccer Thread

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a hockey thread so why not? What position does everyone play? Who do you support? Is your Team in the grand final?

I've got two semi's at the end end of the week; one on Friday night for cults and one on Saturday for Under 16's. I play center midfeild but sometimes get moved around. Im not really sure about a team I havn't really followed English premiere leauge etc much but In Australia I'd have to say Queensland Roar until we get a team (NQ).

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I prefer to call it football, been playing for 27 years. Started as a sweeper, but now a left sided midfeilder.

Who do I support?? Thats going to be the Newcastle Jets. The a-league has been great and continues to get better.

There is an A-League thread on Farkin here.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pffft a league was only made to mix up the teams because glory won too much ;)

i dont personally play but i follow middlesbrough and glory, good fun to watch

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also prefer football. Coming over here from the UK and hearing everyone call it soccer left me dumbfounded. I play everywhere back, midfield, sweeper, wing, up-front. Except goal keeper. I play U15 atm wanted to go up and play U17 or premiere reserves but coach wouldn't let me :mad:. But got my Semi's this friday.

Anyone else here play on the Goldie?

Manchester United Forever

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I started years ago, didn't play this year but i'll probably start again next year provided school isn't too much.
I've played right fullback pretty much forever, but if I start again i'd want to move up the front and drop down a few grades, as it would only be a social thing if I started again, you can only take competitiveness for so long until you just like the social side of things.
Support the Hotspurs in the P.L. owing to my brother living there for a bit and getting to know the area a bit, however in the A-League I support the Jets for no other reason other than there local.

deaks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
support arsenal

i play right back/sweeper/rightwing/attacking mid lol

been playing 7 years under 15s now.

chase1

Likes Dirt
i play goalkeeper.. the worst position on the field.

i didn't chose to, coach put me there. i used to play left back but this year our keeper from the last like 7 years left so we had to find a new keeper. and i was the best in the team so i got put there. and now he won't let me move.. he reckons i'm a natural and go go real far. but it's way to boring, unless it's a real close game. then it becomes the funnest place on the field.

and we've got the semi's on the weekend too.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was going to say football but then I was expecting everyone to come out and say "It's called soccer in Australia bla bla" haha meh. I have been known to play goaly when the team is reallllly desperate but I absolutely suck:p

Last edited:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Im a goalie in Futsal. Been goalie for a number of years now and love it because you are always in the action or at least not very far away from it

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Just started playing Futsal, surprised how fast that game is.

I'm playing up front in our futsal team, which has me a little worried.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im a lot better at futsal than I am at soccer I score pretty much every game as opposed to 3-4 time a season. Futsal is a lot of fun and good for skills and a general muck around with mates. Im not one to to tricks though I usually just go through people:p

Ben_9

Banned
Yeah i play for Manchester United, I'm a striker and I'm probably the best on my team at falling over and screaming...

Yep I don't like SOCCER for that reason.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha good call, It does piss me off when watching professinal soccer seeing the amount of sissys that do massive dives etc. Just makes them look like an idiot (theres a camera fool) and people outside the sport who watch will get the opinion of ben_9.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I went to my first training session last night in nearly a year. So sore today.
I play goalkeeper or in the back line, wherever I'm needed. Been playing for a long time now, it felt strange to have year off due to travel and I'm glad I'm back into it.
I'm going to play a season in Canada where I'm living for a year, looks like a lot of fun and the standard isn't too high so I can have some fun and not get a complete kicking. Its called soccer over here as well so I don't have to try and remember that its called football now, much as I was happy that the name was corrected in Oz recently. RIP Johnny Warren.
Training last night was on a heavy sand based pitch, surprisingly good to run and turn on when its damp as its quite hard packed but terrible to slide on, I've got scabs on all my knees and elbows today.

Futsal is a sensational game and anyone who hasn't given it a go should try it out.

Otherwise I support Hearts in Scotland and Newcastle in the premier league. Not holding much chance of a premiership for either anytime soon.

BJ-

Rota Imports
Started playing when i was 4-5. Played for my local club (as right striker) and my regional club (as centre-mid) until i was 15 and since then just cant seem to shake my love for the sport. Unfortuntaly though i never really have the time to play now a days.

Im one of those anoying die-hard Melboune Victory supporters and to make things worse im also a Manchester United fan.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back from the semi for under 16's which we won 3-0. Last night played the semi's for cults (under 18's) and we one 2-1 so it's gonna be a big weekend.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back from the semi for under 16's which we won 3-0. Last night played the semi's for cults (under 18's) and we one 2-1 so it's gonna be a big weekend.
Thats good, congratulations. We first semi our last week. We were 2 - 1 up at half time with only 11 men. We then let them back in during the second half and came to a draw at 3 - 3. It then went into extra which was 10mins each way. In the first 10mins they got the first goal and were winning. We then got a free-kick about 25 yards out and sweeper placed in the top left corner :D. So at the end of that it came to 4 - 4 and then the penalties. And the penalties went on too 8 - 7 to us :).

But we lost our second semi last night. We played so shite it was not funny. The team we lost too we had beaten 3 out of 4 times. But we blew out. :(

Thats the end of my season can't wait for the next one :D.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But we lost our second semi last night. We played so shite it was not funny. The team we lost too we had beaten 3 out of 4 times. But we blew out. :(
It sucks how soccer can be so random like that.

Sounds like the first game you guys had would of been awesome to watch.

mpdowling

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Attacking centre mid. Athletics is my second sport so love to run all over the pitch. Man U, the creater of stars :)

Last edited: