SLX 7000 Brake Making a Howling Noise

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Burners.

I recently replaced my Formula C1 (Possibly the worlds worst brake) with brand new Shimano SLX 7000's on my Spesh Epic. Pretty easy process to switch out and had the job done pretty quickly. Took the bike for a test spin and my god the rear brake makes a horrendous noise. It's like a howling noise that is so bad I can't even ride the damn thing. Front brake seems OK. I'm absolutely positive I didn't get any oil on the pads or rotor, and I cleaned the rotor with cleaning alcohol.

Any ideas? I'm presuming that they can use the same mount and that isn't the issue. Rotor looks to be straight and isn't rubbing at all on the pads. I've done a search with not much joy.

Cheers,

Coaster

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Sounds like pad contamination.

Take them out and cook them in a frypan or on the BBQ. That will burn off any contaminants and they should be all good again once cool.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I recently replaced my Formula C1 (Possibly the worlds worst brake) with brand new Shimano SLX 7000's on my Spesh Epic. Pretty easy process to switch out and had the job done pretty quickly. Took the bike for a test spin and my god the rear brake makes a horrendous noise. It's like a howling noise that is so bad I can't even ride the damn thing. Front brake seems OK. I'm absolutely
Ship with organic or metal/sintered pads? Have they just not bedded in yet?,i tend to throw away most stock pads & put in aftermarket . Sure your rotors are true, & calipers weren’t sitting off straight when bedding in? Rotor hasn’t worn unevenly?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks All. Just had the light bulb moment reading the responses that while the brakes are new there’s every chance those shitty C1s have leaked on the rotor. Completely missed that. I’ll give them a clean and hope for the best.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks All. Just had the light bulb moment reading the responses that while the brakes are new there’s every chance those shitty C1s have leaked on the rotor. Completely missed that. I’ll give them a clean and hope for the best.
They leaked at the calipers ? C1s usually leak at the hand piece.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cooked my Tektro pads with a heat gun, wasn't aggressive enough the first time. Still howled, so I did it again with a MAPP gas torch and really roasted them ! oil bubbled out the surface and burnt off. A light scrub on 120 grit wet and dry paper on a very flat backing surface, and they came up pretty good.

hathill

Likes Dirt
I cooked my Tektro pads with a heat gun, wasn't aggressive enough the first time. Still howled, so I did it again with a MAPP gas torch and really roasted them ! oil bubbled out the surface and burnt off. A light scrub on 120 grit wet and dry paper on a very flat backing surface, and they came up pretty good.
And then they de-laminated and you died. The end.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hummm........ maybe my brake issue isn't so bad in the scheme of things..............

They leaked at the calipers ? C1s usually leak at the hand piece.
Looks like they did. And at the lever end as well. Basically they just leaked. So I have gave the rotors a clean out with alcohol again, realigned the calipers and the sound has gone. Bloody good brakes actually for the price ($200 for both ends off Merlin. Please don't tell me I got ripped off. I mean it :)).

Thanks for the help Burners, sorry it was something I should have done but the thread got the result I was after. Ride on.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hummm........ maybe my brake issue isn't so bad in the scheme of things..............

Looks like they did. And at the lever end as well. Basically they just leaked. So I have gave the rotors a clean out with alcohol again, realigned the calipers and the sound has gone. Bloody good brakes actually for the price ($200 for both ends off Merlin. Please don't tell me I got ripped off. I mean it :)).

Thanks for the help Burners, sorry it was something I should have done but the thread got the result I was after. Ride on.
Wow! I'll need to keep on eye on mine then, I've a set that are about six years old and only the lever end leaked on one side but it's pretty common for the handle to leak even on the other model formula brakes but never heard of any complain about the calipers.