Slack, long, 5" travel duallies.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I'm starting to think I'm too old just to have an AM hardtail as my one bike so I'm looking at dual suspension bikes but I can't really find what I want.

Looking for ~65-66deg HA, 450mm reach, 75 deg STA and tops of 130mm travel, oh and it must have a bottle mount.

There's a bunch of 150mm+ frames that have the right geo but I want something a bit snappier as jumping from a hardtail to a ~150mm bike is a pretty big jump, I have a DH bike that never gets used so I don't really want something else that sits and collects dust.

Cheers lads.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Transition scout and orange 4.

Second time today I've recommended those bikes, without having ridden either of them. But they scream fun, which is important i think. The tranny especially, those bikes have always been built solidly.

Banshee spitty too much bike? All accounts says there fantastic.

I spent three years riding nothing but a bmx and a ss xc hardtail, and the jump to my 160mm reign wasnt that bad. A couple of rides later and everything felt as natural as my hardtail, just alot faster with bigger lines.

Edit: I know you asked for specific numbers geo wise, but i think theres more to a bike than that. Some feel right with old, "crap" geo while some new fandangled thing just feels off.

From reviews all three bikes seem to have that "it just works" thing going.

Except the orange, i havent read any reviews on that yet. It just looks amazing :heh:

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Holy crap, the Scout looks awesome, it even has a proper 1.5" lower cup so you could run an angleset.

Not a fan of Orange.

EDIT- I'm a numbers man, stiff frame, correct numbers and pivot's in the right spot and it will work.
I'm not out to set land speed records I just want to feel what's happening beneath me and I don't really get that with 150+mm bike unless I'm having a proper go and that doesn't happen often(why the DH bike sits in the garage).

A 5" bike will still offer a tiny bit of fun on an XC track, I tried a Mondraker something something at Ourimbah and I hated it, the geo was right but it was just like a magic carpet and I found it boring as fuck.

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That scout dose look pretty good , but the RRP on a complete bike is out of control for an alloy frame . $2800 for frame looks like a good start to build from .

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would you look at a SC 5010 V 2 in alloy ? . There $100 more expensive , both frames on FOR THE RIDERS we sight .

bpow

Likes Dirt
The new knolly endorphins come close to filling your needs. I have an older model which I love. Expensive though.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Elephant in the room....wheel size?

Don't care really.

No to Santa Cruz, I like ém but they seem to attract attention on the trails, that's not for me, I'm an arsehole.
No to Knolly just because I don't like their we put linkages on your linkages approach, just pay to use the four bar you tight arses.

I'm also too poor for carbon so the Rocky mountain is out and I think it would be a bit light for my heft.

The only thing that sorta worries me with the Transition is the pivot looks perfectly in line with a 32t ring so it may squat a bit with a 36t.

I guess I could be tempted in to something second hand then I could mess around with shock lengths and offset bushings, if I see a Meta at the right price.......

moorey

call me Mia
Meta isn't 5", and bloody heavy in my limited experience. Unless they've changed, almost nothing other than a weedy rp23 or ctd style shock fits in.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The only thing that sorta worries me with the Transition is the pivot looks perfectly in line with a 32t ring so it may squat a bit with a 36t.

I guess I could be tempted in to something second hand then I could mess around with shock lengths and offset bushings, if I see a Meta at the right price.......
I think I remember reading somewhere the tranny was designed around that pivot being in line with a 32t ring. ill see if i can find it

fallingwater

Likes Bikes
No patent to deal with on four-bar now

Don't care really.

No to Knolly just because I don't like their we put linkages on your linkages approach, just pay to use the four bar you tight arses.
"FSR" patent (which $pecialized bought from Horst-link) has now expired I believe - that's why every man and their dog are now using it (especially in the US where the big-$ would have fought tooth and nail to prevent them previously).

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
Even the Rocky Mountain Altitude is quite snappy yep can take a beating. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I assume this is some sort of hipster time capsule or something, but there's no way I'd own a bike that forces me to have a bottle down there-