Skin soreness

binner

Hath shat hymself
3B action cream is where its at, really smear it on good for a day in the saddle.............. I don't leaver home without it ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Specialized Power Arc FTW.
I got a 155mm Phenom for my roadie after getting measured that is going on my build, but got a 155mm Power Arc for my roadie about a year ago and it’s brilliant.

Get your arse measured.
155mm Romins are my original measured and fitted saddle from way back, also had a 155mm Power on my roadie.

For me, the Ergon SM Sport-Comp-Pro in M/L size are awesome but not the SM Enduro, its a different saddle with the SM prefix.

Once you get a proper fitting saddle, its just something else you don't have to think about.

These days, anything under ~2 hours, I ride with baggies and a normal pair of bonds jocks, no chamois or ass butter.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
$252 for a saddle :oops:

Apparently good saddles but you could be fitted for half the price on a Specialized through a Body Geometry fit shop.

I have also found that a few of the Ergons feel really good too. Buy from Ze Germans for under $100.

If you only have 1 bike I suppose $250 a saddle is ok, not so good when you have 5 or more bikes.
$250 for a saddle I'm on twice a day, 5 days a week.

The BE guys measured my arse at 135 when I bought the Procaliber, but the high end Bontragers feel too narrow. The Vice Captain currently has that one and loves it, I'm using the cheapie that came on his Marlin 4.

I really want to try a Selle Italia SLR on it, bloody loved them on my roadies, but I can't come at bolting a white saddle to it. And the current SLR comes in two sizes and I haven't pinned down which one I need.

ozzybmx

$250 for a saddle I'm on twice a day, 5 days a week.
You ride an SQ Lab ?

The distributor is here in Adelaide and a LOT of South Aussies are on them, just happened to be I had ass issues before they were brought here and was happy with the Specialized fix.

ozzybmx

The BE guys measured my arse at 135 when I bought the Procaliber, but the high end Bontragers feel too narrow.
Get another measurement done, my first one recommended 135mm and this sent me on an expensive journey over 2 years.

The next one put me firmly at 155mm with the blokes genuinely remorseful at my 2 years of ass pain from the wrong diagnosis of measurements in another Spech shop by a younger worker.

I know who did the first and still see him about riding events occasionally.

Cardy George

You ride an SQ Lab ?

The distributor is here in Adelaide and a LOT of South Aussies are on them, just happened to be I had ass issues before they were brought here and was happy with the Specialized fix.
No, but very curious. I fully understand the concept, bit hesitant to part with that much cash just in case it doesn't work as advertised.

There's one locally and a visiting racer has one on hers and loves it.

They look like they'd suit my arse. It likes a laterally flat saddle.

Cardy George

Get another measurement done, my first one recommended 135mm and this sent me on an expensive journey over 2 years.

The next one put me firmly at 155mm with the blokes genuinely remorseful at my 2 years of ass pain from the wrong diagnosis of measurements in another Spech shop by a younger worker.

I know who did the first and still see him about riding events occasionally.
Two different people measured and had the same result. Reading the SQ blurb, it might be a road vs mtb position issue.

ozzybmx

They look like they'd suit my arse. It likes a laterally flat saddle.
They are very flat, I've tried peoples bikes that had them fitted.

Two different people measured and had the same result. Reading the SQ blurb, it might be a road vs mtb position issue.
Could be that rolling forward issue where the distance between them narrows/spreads ;) increases/decreases depending on the bike position, I believe SQ Lab were the first to recognise this with their fitting.
May have been the reason for my initial bum steer with Specialized, could have got me to sit roadie style putting me at a narrower 135mm.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Does anyone here suffer from skin soreness down there after a ride? Specifically toward the most rearward part where the leg meets the groin.

Admittedly it is the most humid time of the year and wearing padded shorts helps but I'm still limited to an hour of riding before it starts to get too much.

Would chamois cream help at all?
@HamboCairns Use chamois cream on a decent chamois insert in your baggies , or wear decent roadie bibshorts under your mtb shorts or knicks and jersey for that XC look.
I like the robbie McEwan RMC Chamois cream. I also rub some soove (from chemist warehouse) on the nether regions, where body meets saddle, and between nads and legs. Soove has a small amount of local anaesthetic (lignocaine) and is an antiseptic cream.

I'm not a fan of the assos minty fresh cool nads syndrome. @ozzybmx is and that's fine. no kink-shaming here.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Saddle width is only one part of the solution, finding the right curvature both laterally and longitudinally is another pair of missions. I've had three different saddles from one manufacturer, one road, two MTB, all nominally the same width but all very different. The road model and one of the MTB models work really well for my bum, but the other one is a godawful plank of a thing.

How you sit on the thing is a very important consideration.

ozzybmx

Saddle width is only one part of the solution, finding the right curvature both laterally and longitudinally is another pair of missions.
Definitely it is but at least if the width it right then you are on the right track to start.
Like the Ergon SM's, the enduro version feels like shit where the other normal ones are really nice on my boney ass.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Saddle width is only one part of the solution, finding the right curvature both laterally and longitudinally is another pair of missions. I've had three different saddles from one manufacturer, one road, two MTB, all nominally the same width but all very different. The road model and one of the MTB models work really well for my bum, but the other one is a godawful plank of a thing.

How you sit on the thing is a very important consideration.
Agree
My initial Phenom I liked, but decided it was too flat for roadie use where I want more of a lip to ‘push’ on, so switched to a Power Arc.
I need that less on an MTB, so happier with flat saddles

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I think I might get my butt to my local Specialized dealer and get myself measured. I had a Specialized saddle on my roadie 10 years ago and that felt lovely!

ozzybmx

I think I might get my butt to my local Specialized dealer and get myself measured. I had a Specialized saddle on my roadie 10 years ago and that felt lovely!
Try and get a loan saddle, they will try and talk you into buying one with a 30 day no questions asked return - for credit off another style (as long as there's no damage)

Also if you do buy one, make sure its a Comp... not a Pro or S-Works as 'we dont have them in stock'. The price jumps up massively with each step and all you get it a lighter weight with Ti/Carbon rails and sometimes less padding.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
They normally have test saddles they can fit for you to have a go for a bit. The lower priced non-weenie ‘comp’ level ones are pretty good, think mine were about $180
Trek do something similar, and their Montrose perches are the Power/Power Arc equivalent, and rate highly