Skin soreness

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Does anyone here suffer from skin soreness down there after a ride? Specifically toward the most rearward part where the leg meets the groin.

Admittedly it is the most humid time of the year and wearing padded shorts helps but I'm still limited to an hour of riding before it starts to get too much.

Would chamois cream help at all?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Ride mechanic make two Aussie Made chamois cream variants...

I prefer Moonshine to Down Under.

Down Under is water resistant if you're looking at triathlons...

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Ditch the chamois. Cotton undies with MTB shorts is much cooler especially in humid locations. Chamois basically create an uber moist and humid terrarium like atmosphere focused directly around your gooch

IMO

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
skin soreness down there
Soreness... yes. Gets worse when you up your time in the saddle too fast. From my (limited) experience, more important than a particular chamois or underwear combination is:
  • Try and build up time / distance slowly; and
  • Clean your junk well. Like, really well.

A bit of soreness is nothing though... Wait til you get one of those bastard infected something-or-other lumps back there.
[Life pro tip – don't f-ing google it! Some things you just can't unsee.]

HamboCairns

Ditch the chamois. Cotton undies with MTB shorts is much cooler especially in humid locations. Chamois basically create an uber moist and humid terrarium like atmosphere focused directly around your gooch

IMO
Fuck no, that hurts me like hell. Cotton absorbs sweat and then it rubs.

HamboCairns

Soreness... yes. Gets worse when you up your time in the saddle too fast. From my (limited) experience, more important than a particular chamois or underwear combination is:
  • Try and build up time / distance slowly; and
  • Clean your junk well. Like, really well.
A bit of soreness is nothing though... Wait til you get one of those bastard infected something-or-other lumps back there.
[Life pro tip – don't f-ing google it! Some things you just can't unsee.]
I promise not the GooGle it!

stirk

Burner
Creams can help a little bit if you're chaffing but is your saddle perhaps the wrong size? If you go the cream route just beware minty or tea tree shit makes your nether regions burn with coolness, avoid them, unless you like those feels.

Another option is to remove the seat and ride standing up, your fitness will go through the roof!

HamboCairns

Creams can help a little bit if you're chaffing but is your saddle perhaps the wrong size? If you go the cream route just beware minty or tea tree shit makes your nether regions burn with coolness, avoid them, unless you like those feels.

Another option is to remove the seat and ride standing up, your fitness will go through the roof!
That's something to consider. I've heard really good things about SQLabs Ergowave saddles, I'm sure there are others out there but they at least let you try it out for 60 days.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hambo, there is more info out there on the interwebz about saddle sores and saddle rash than you could read in a lifetime.

Without going into all the sitbones, saddles and chamois shorts.

Go grab some chamois cream from your local and try it.
In my personal experience, Assos chamois cream is the best... but everyone has favourites.

stirk

Burner
Hambo, there is more info out there on the interwebz about saddle sores and saddle rash than you could read in a lifetime.

Without going into all the sitbones, saddles and chamois shorts.

Go grab some chamois cream from your local and try it.
In my personal experience, Assos chamois cream is the best... but everyone has favourites.
That's the evil minty stuff I bought, my balls and pucker fear that shit!!

I'd rather use KY.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saddle too high ?
Saddle too low ?
Too far forward , or back ?

I am not tall , so a cm high is hell .... just saying

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Chamois cream will definitely help.

Make sure your saddle suits your arse, especially avoid pressure points at all costs.

Clean knicks EVERY ride. Bacteria builds up when left to fester. That's what causes that evil lumps.

Get out of those knicks ASAP when you have finished. I get changed in the back of the car before I drive home.

Assos cream is good. Bit weird at 5am tho......

P.s. where are you looking at getting an Ergowave from?

HamboCairns

P.s. where are you looking at getting an Ergowave from?
Big Ride Australia

How does the 60-day SQlab saddle program work
You can order a fit kit, or check our fit guide to size up your a**. It's important to get the measurement right first go. Purchase a saddle of your choice and test it for 60days. Let us know if you want to return it any time in between.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
$252 for a saddle :oops:

Apparently good saddles but you could be fitted for half the price on a Specialized through a Body Geometry fit shop.

I have also found that a few of the Ergons feel really good too. Buy from Ze Germans for under $100.

If you only have 1 bike I suppose $250 a saddle is ok, not so good when you have 5 or more bikes.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Specialized Power Arc FTW.
I got a 155mm Phenom for my roadie after getting measured that is going on my build, but got a 155mm Power Arc for my roadie about a year ago and it’s brilliant.

Get your arse measured.