skatepark etiquette

Dirt n Street

Likes Dirt
i'm seriously sick of the dickheads who hang around the parks just to insult people, i've had it with them, next kid who says something is going to meet my fist without hesitation!
i know exactly what you mean. them bogans that cant even afford their own bike and they just stand around and say stuff like "you suck!" and "do a backflip!". pisses me off

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm seriously sick of the dickheads who hang around the parks just to insult people, i've had it with them, next kid who says something is going to meet my fist without hesitation!
Fark I hate those people n I'll back you up Krispy but don't worry you will never have to ride a park again now you're selling your Ritual.:mad:

keromx

Likes Bikes
I have been a surfer / skateboarder since I could walk and last year after a downhill "high-speed" skateboard accidient I busted my left knee (read PCL and no walkies). So I have always been a frequenter of skate parks on my skatey up to that point and quietly used to get very pissed off by "grommies" who show no respect on bikes. I took up biking seriously last year as recovery for my injury and have no become "obsessed" with mtbing (so my wife tells me), now DHing, and DJing and hitting skateparks with my sons (on bmx's).

I have noticed that it is all too easy to "take-over" on bikes due to nature of the bike and its ability to roll like it does.

So guys, please take more care out there:

* take your turn
* respect others around you
* say gday and meet new friends (what! did i hear you say)
* watch & cheer others on when they do something good (including skaters)

BTW - my knee has recovered 100% thanks for asking :)

Warg

Squid
Bringing your small children to the skate park during school hours is a good idea. Less chance of hassle and injury for all concerned. Storing your soiled nappies in the middle of the park while they roll around is not.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I used to surf but now i live down the road from one of the best parks in western Sydney, so thanks concrete jungle i can still get launched. We all need somewhere to ride and believe it or not we've all paid for all these wicked concrete parks springing up all over the joint.

One thing that can wreck your surfing that and that applies to the riding around near mine is knob-end locals; localism can wreck your sport and needs to be squashed when ever you get a chance.
Ignore the wankers hanging on the edge trying to put you off when your a new grom, if you wanna sit around and pose go down the bloody mall.

Unless its your top secret bush jumps- you should amp up everyone you meet when you ride away about how good your local is, there's nothing better than hitting a new spot....without some tool who's never left his burb pretending that its his.

you don't own it, but your allowed to be proud of it, do the big thing and share it, its called public property fools!
here here! 100% agree here. localism at parks can suck a dick. did you build it? did you pay for it (if you don't have a job like most local rats then no)? you dont own it.

beatdowns ensue

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
i beg to differ about localism. everypark has their local riders from around that area. you need to respect the local riders at their local park. not sure what its like outside of brisbane but local riders somewhat own the park. and the fact that it is their local should be respected.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i beg to differ about localism. everypark has their local riders from around that area. you need to respect the local riders at their local park. not sure what its like outside of brisbane but local riders somewhat own the park. and the fact that it is their local should be respected.

Like it says at the start I'm pretty sure, take a few minutes to suss out the lines people take at the park, and not jump straight in snaking like scooter kids like you own the place.

That said, most parks in brissy have locals who don't mind people from other parks riding it, noone really think they own the park or anything like conor said.

Skaters however..... had an incident of a mate being spit on just because he was riding the ledges. Like what was said above, they didn't pay for it or maintain it or anything, why the fuck should they get all stupidly personal about it?

conor.1

Genetic Throwback

Like it says at the start I'm pretty sure, take a few minutes to suss out the lines people take at the park, and not jump straight in snaking like scooter kids like you own the place.

That said, most parks in brissy have locals who don't mind people from other parks riding it, noone really think they own the park or anything like conor said.

Skaters however..... had an incident of a mate being spit on just because he was riding the ledges. Like what was said above, they didn't pay for it or maintain it or anything, why the fuck should they get all stupidly personal about it?
i suppose i should of said it a little bit better. locals dont mind when people ride their park, but you have to show some respect towards them. but because the bmx/mtb clash scene up here is pretty slick, you will get payed out for riding mtbs. but not deliberatly snaked and whatnot.

and to will the fella was probably supposed to spit on you, he just missed.

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
i suppose i should of said it a little bit better. locals dont mind when people ride their park, but you have to show some respect towards them. but because the bmx/mtb clash scene up here is pretty slick, you will get payed out for riding mtbs. but not deliberatly snaked and whatnot.

and to will the fella was probably supposed to spit on you, he just missed.
I get the shit taken out of me for riding mtb in a skatepark. Always the "why dont you just ride a bmx *insert naughty naughty words here*" The locals at springfield are ok, but it's the kids who are there everyday sitting around laughing at the guys who are trying to learn and crashing. Makes me not want to ride park anymore.

councils

Hi Ty,
This is great why not pass it on to local councils and they may just put it up at parks as a sign,so kids,idiots,mums and dads can recieve some knowledge and prevent a lot of injurys,as im here with a broken wrist because of a f/wit like this.

Likes Dirt
Hi Ty,
This is great why not pass it on to local councils and they may just put it up at parks as a sign,so kids,idiots,mums and dads can recieve some knowledge and prevent a lot of injurys,as im here with a broken wrist because of a f/wit like this.
And while ther are up off thier asses for once maybe they can do something about our fucking shit skatepark. don't fool anyone mate, council would rather suck my balls than do anything about our skatepark.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And while ther are up off thier asses for once maybe they can do something about our fucking shit skatepark. don't fool anyone mate, council would rather suck my balls than do anything about our skatepark.
well said ben:p but very true... they would do anything but help the cycling community

i hate it when you see a whole gang of little kids on bikes getting in the way at skateparks, they give us a bad name. the worst part is their parents are normally there 2 encouraging them to get in the way then getting all pissed when sum1 tells them 2 move.
agreed it hell anoying
but i spose alot of people probs started out like that anyways

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
simple solution for skate parks little kids not there, now before i come across like a ''prick"i'll explain why.

Last weekend out riding with mate dropped in 3'd a flat box the same time a little girl rode across the park, the result was me 65kgs, my bike 10kgs, and my inertia = peg connecting with girls shin to possible broken leg

i feel like the biggest arse over it, she was only 5 maybe 6 and i had no way to bail or avoid hitting her and god knows how bad her leg is the parent took off with her before i could get details.

sorry i had to vent it, my local park has the best skater bike rider scooter relationship as there is tops 10 locals at most haha

simple solution for skate parks little kids not there, now before i come across like a ''prick"i'll explain why.

Last weekend out riding with mate dropped in 3'd a flat box the same time a little girl rode across the park, the result was me 65kgs, my bike 10kgs, and my inertia = peg connecting with girls shin to possible broken leg

i feel like the biggest arse over it, she was only 5 maybe 6 and i had no way to bail or avoid hitting her and god knows how bad her leg is the parent took off with her before i could get details.

sorry i had to vent it, my local park has the best skater bike rider scooter relationship as there is tops 10 locals at most haha
i had a similar encounter. i go up a wedge to turn around, kid drops in in front of me, i have to lay the bike down and slide down the wedge. and the kids that put the front wheel of their scooters over the coping and just stand there being pricks are probably the worst. parks are for riding, not a tea party

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
The problem involving young childeren riding skate parks on scooters/ripstick/bikes is a somewhat awkward subject. One can very easily say "dont let little kids at skateparks". But this just means that another facility to accomodate for the childeren must be built. It has come across my mind before, trying to deciede if i should put a large amount of effort into something that is nearly unreachable. The fact is its a public place and you cant stop people from going there. But you can also raise the fact that for not only your saftey, but theirs aswell a ban or rules about ages should be enforced.

Then who will enforce these rules, the bikers and skaters cannot police the park and parents will not listen to riders. So then to employ someone to sit at every skatepark that has a ban will mean more money spent aswell as the fact that no one will want to do it.

But skatepark ettiquite cant really apply to kids that do not have an understanding of rules and regulations being under 8years old. One would think that parents would see and realise the fact their childeren are a saftey hazzard to other people around them, not to mention the fact they will own themselves.

Something needs to be done about this problem.

P.S
another thing i cannot come to terms with is when your at the skatepark, you see little kids who can barely reach the pedals fangin it round putting themselves in permanent danger while the parents fo sweet fuck all. and when they crash they run over in shock as though they thought something like that wasnt going to happen! And then about 10mins later the kid is up riding again and the parents dont give a shit!

rant over

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
bikes are silent: don't expect skaters to know that you've dropped in, they are used to being able to hear other skaters coming by the sound of their wheels. remember that you have brakes and they do not.
I have thought that normal mtb tyres are REALLY REALLY LOUD!!! when compared to slicks or the worst tyre ever... the micro knobby. I really disagree with quiet tyres for MTB's. Are they for people with micro knobs

but good advice people should follow it! :D

Last edited: