Show us your home working setup

mitchy_

Llama calmer
couldn't find it anywhere on here, and i love a bit of office envy.

finally bought another Dell U2412M for "work" along with a dual arm LCD mount, and gave my office a tidy up...

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
That looks super clean. I'm guessing you're an architect or draftsman or something? Also what kind of headphones are those?

sa9GAcu.jpg

Oh yeah, I definitely need a new phone.

This is my listening to music/wasting time on the internet/occasionally studying setup.

Not that you can make anything out for the blur. Corner desks are the greatest.

edit: Seeing as everyone is getting technical...

-Toshiba laptop that sucks but I can't afford to replace
-Audio technica LP120 turntable
-Some Hitachi amp from the late 70s/early 80s.
-Audioengine P4 speakers
-Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones

Last edited:

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
We have the same case! Gotta love the noise reduction foam inside the define.

desktop-1.jpg

running:
3770K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB 2133Mhz
128gb samsung SSD (OS)
1TB caviar green (media+backup)
120gb 7200rpm (design+photo etc)
gigabyte gtx660

and scoring 15,660 on geekbench!

Also got my Dell u3011 30" which is f*cking amazing if not a touch pricey...

Dayton Audio T-Amp @ 50wpc running into my P&G MiniMonitors which are 65Hz-22KHz and have a stunning soundstage (facebook.com/pittandgiblinloudspeakers)

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
couldn't find it anywhere on here, and i love a bit of office envy.

finally bought another Dell U2412M for "work" along with a dual arm LCD mount, and gave my office a tidy up...

Curse you and your dual monitors! What kind of drafting do you do out of curiousity? I do alot of mechanical and electrical drawings.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That looks super clean. I'm guessing you're an architect or draftsman or something? Also what kind of headphones are those?

Oh yeah, I definitely need a new phone.

This is my listening to music/wasting time on the internet/occasionally studying setup.

Not that you can make anything out for the blur. Corner desks are the greatest.
the job i just left, a fellow draftee used to get up me about being pedantic about my desk. even when i was busy the paperwork was laid out neatly. :lol:

but yes, draftee. they are Sony MDR-ZX700... i spend that much time in my office, i need decent sound!

i do like corner desks, but my current office does not allow.... so i just bought a 2 mtr wide x 1 mtr deep desk instead. :)

We have the same case! Gotta love the noise reduction foam inside the define.

running:
3770K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB 2133Mhz
128gb samsung SSD (OS)
1TB caviar green (media+backup)
120gb 7200rpm (design+photo etc)
gigabyte gtx660

and scoring 15,660 on geekbench!

Also got my Dell u3011 30" which is f*cking amazing if not a touch pricey...

Dayton Audio T-Amp @ 50wpc running into my P&G MiniMonitors which are 65Hz-22KHz and have a stunning soundstage (facebook.com/pittandgiblinloudspeakers)
jealous! i wanted a U3011 badly, but twin U2412's was to be more beneficial for my work, etc.
they are a great case too! i still want a Corsair H80i to kill the little bit of sound i can hear though, haha.

my setup is
i5-3470
16GB 1600Mhz
1GB XFX R7770
180GB Intel 335 SSD (OS)
4x WD 1TB Blue in Raid 10 (Drafting + Photography)
2x WD 2TB Green (1 for media, 1 is a backup of the raid array :lol: overkill but it's mainly my photos i dont want to risk losing)

it's mainly a drafting and photography rig, i dont play games.

Curse you and your dual monitors! What kind of drafting do you do out of curiousity? I do alot of mechanical and electrical drawings.
residential and commercial. i mostly do higher end 2 storey houses and apartment complexes.

Last edited:

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
cool! I'd be interested to know how the raid setup goes. I've started a fresh so i don't have enough material clogging my system at the moment, but will do soon. How fast is read write between SSD and r10?

ChopSticks

Banned
My work:

long story, computer died, and IT dept replaced my quad core thermaltake gaming rig with POS dual core....they also helped themselves to my other 27' mon and downsized me

.....not happy!!!

but this is where I spend my days

will upload my home setup when I get back

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
residential and commercial. i mostly do higher end 2 storey houses and apartment complexes.
Hey Mitch,

Same here. Self employed draftee mostly doing residential, but the occasional commercial job when it pops up. See if I can get a pic of the desktop/office loaded up.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Ha ha mine slowly envolpes half the drafting office at work. I have two 22" wide screens nothing flash all upgraded I7s but we upgrade every year or two. I honestly try not to as I use a number of add on CAD packages and other programs and it's a pain in the arse. Normally your lucky to sea my desk though. Paperwork everywhere. We try to mainly work with A3 though and always mark up only A3

MasterOfReality

After forever
My work:

long story, computer died, and IT dept replaced my quad core thermaltake gaming rig with POS dual core....they also helped themselves to my other 27' mon and downsized me

.....not happy!!!

Mine looks almost identical to this, except I have my own office.

But not for long.

The powers that be have decided to move a top tier mining consultancy from the CBD into the suburbs, and into an entirely open plan environment. Fucking genius or what. There are better facilities there, they tell us. Too bad none of our fucking clients are in the burbs. Too bad its going to screw most people over at least an extra 1 hour a day travel time.

From the penthouse to the shithouse in one go.

Fuckwits.

/rant

Zam

Likes Dirt
My work:

.....not happy!!!

WOW, who would have through it is also almost identical to my setup as well...

Slowman

Likes Dirt
What are you guys using those boat anchors for? Think of your carbon footprint for God's sake :biggrin: With the power available today on decent lap tops I would think for nearly everyone they would be sufficient and save power and physical space. Even for special CAD applications I would have thought that special screen devices could be made to work with a laptop with sufficient graphics processing power?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
cool! I'd be interested to know how the raid setup goes. I've started a fresh so i don't have enough material clogging my system at the moment, but will do soon. How fast is read write between SSD and r10?
i haven't tested the speed and to be honest it's a non-issue for me, speed is just a bonus from the raid array i have setup purely for redundancy. the SSD handles all the grunt behind Photoshop and ArchiCAD.
i'll give it a test though just out of curiosity.

What are you guys using those boat anchors for? Think of your carbon footprint for God's sake :biggrin: With the power available today on decent lap tops I would think for nearly everyone they would be sufficient and save power and physical space. Even for special CAD applications I would have thought that special screen devices could be made to work with a laptop with sufficient graphics processing power?
the only laptop with the 1920x1200+ resolution i need/want is a macbook pro 15, and at $3k it costs a fair whack more than my desktop pc. not to mention you cant upgrade anything on the retina models apparently?

...that said, i'll likely buy one later so i can work whilst heading back to perth, etc.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
I'm a system admin for a large engineering company with over 300 CAD style users and I started typing out long post about why laptops are not ideal in the drafting/engineering world but stopped as it came across as know it all rambling. I will say that 9 times out of 10 a workstation solution is the superior option for speed, cost, intellectual security (this is a big deal) and support. If you really would like to know more i'm happy to elaborate some and show some alternative options that we use.

ChopSticks

Banned
Ha ha mine slowly envolpes half the drafting office at work. I have two 22" wide screens nothing flash all upgraded I7s but we upgrade every year or two. I honestly try not to as I use a number of add on CAD packages and other programs and it's a pain in the arse. Normally your lucky to sea my desk though. Paperwork everywhere. We try to mainly work with A3 though and always mark up only A3
Same with seeing my actual desktop, The amount of paper i go through in a day is shamefull

I find a3 to be perfect for my young eyes... But the older dinosaurs seem to think A0 and A1 are better :shrug:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Here is my sty! You guessed it, still a student. You'd think after nearly 3 and half years of uni i would have worked out a better way, but i just keep piling crap on my desk.
20130430_171339.jpg

ChopSticks

Banned
My home set up

one for the ps3, one for the Mbp

Edit: beer to anyone that can spot the difference of my MBP to others

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I'm a system admin for a large engineering company with over 300 CAD style users and I started typing out long post about why laptops are not ideal in the drafting/engineering world but stopped as it came across as know it all rambling. I will say that 9 times out of 10 a workstation solution is the superior option for speed, cost, intellectual security (this is a big deal) and support. If you really would like to know more i'm happy to elaborate some and show some alternative options that we use.
I get the need to protect IP. I work for a large manufacturer of computers and that is why we insist on encryption of all hard drives and have onboard software inventory control monitoring, as well as other security measures. Just because you can leave a desktop in a room somewhere, which may or may not be locked doesn't really make it any more secure. We have over 200,000 employees world wide plus who knows how many more contractors, and we make it work. Desktop or laptop, the same security measures need to be in place.

Speed and cost, except in a small number of cases, are just different sides of the same coin. Now mobility can be used to offset cost, by having less dedicated office space, you can save on real estate costs. I know there are CAD capable laptops out there and I'm thinking for only the most intensive 3D graphics rendering applications and CGI would desktops be more cost effective and practical...and in most cases I think it would be more than possible to dock your laptop into a higher res monitor, if the laptop screen was unsuitable. I could be wrong but the point remains for other users desktops are unnecessary.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
the only laptop with the 1920x1200+ resolution i need/want is a macbook pro 15, and at $3k it costs a fair whack more than my desktop pc. not to mention you cant upgrade anything on the retina models apparently?

...that said, i'll likely buy one later so i can work whilst heading back to perth, etc.
I am a Design Engineer by trade, and use Solidworks all day long. I run a (now couple of year old) Dell Precision M6500 laptop (8gb Ram. Quadro FX3800 graphics etc etc), and that runs 1920x1200 with no issues. I do have an extra screen aswell but dont bother using it anymore. I just switch windows. The newer version, the m6600 is even better. Having said that both are/were significantly more than 3K I believe.

I personally wouldn't want to use a desktop machine anymore... although I can see some advantages with them, data security that Clint mentioned being one, mind you unless you are running software to stop usb attachments (as an example) its really a mute point if they have an external harddrive!, there are plenty of advantages with laptops aswell.