Shoulder / Upper body Protection

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I've seen, shoulder protection is geared towards impact protection rather than hyperextension / dislocation.

Having been at the wrong end of shoulder surgery, the orthopedic surgeon informs me that training for strength and flexibility is what works. Even then it might not be enough depending on the circumstances of the incident.

Basically, try not to fall on outstretched arms away from the body.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
IF you have had a shoulder dislocation, the likelihood of dislocating again is high, With or without surgery and rehab/strength building is helpful but like mentioned above crashing is not gonna do good on your shoulder.

Below are two braces that would be helpful in supporting your shoulder. I have not used or tried them

I do wear these to make me feel better about/protect my previously broken collarbone and have been happy to have them on during a few crashes

and

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've a mate who has just undergone shoulder reconstruction surgery and was using the EVS model you've highlighted here.

He was suffering from pronounced lack of stability in the shoulder and found the brace helped but didn't solve it.

I've got several shoulder protectors and one is the 7IDP one, it's great for the level and size of impact protection, as well as spine protection which is removable. It's a PITA to remove after a hot ride though as you'll sweat like a racehorse in it.

The Leatt stealth Tee offers far less in terms of protected area, and the zip up version has excellent spine protection and is FAR easier to put on and remove....

But, none of those will help in a dislocation event, I'll tell you that from (painful, first hand) experience.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
IF you have had a shoulder dislocation, the likelihood of dislocating again is high, With or without surgery and rehab/strength building is helpful but like mentioned above crashing is not gonna do good on your shoulder.

Below are two braces that would be helpful in supporting your shoulder. I have not used or tried them

I do wear these to make me feel better about/protect my previously broken collarbone and have been happy to have them on during a few crashes

and

Preventing recurrent shoulder dislocation with a brace or protectors is very difficult .
Its not just straight impact.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My surgeon told me body armour would not have done anything to stop all my ribs and collarbone from breaking... Good for sharp injuries, broad blunt force trauma not so much. So yeah, most important thing is strength/muscle mass (never been my forte...) and dont have limbs outstretched on impact.