Should I buy this?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep, that works.

suit ~165-175cm rider

That does not.
Except the guy is an idiot. I can see on the frame it's an L, so it should be fine up to 185cm.

Also, check out how much steerer he has exposed. An absolute god send for a tall person looking to get a more upright position. At a guess that stem is 100mm but is running negative rise.

But how the fuck did this Homer get his hands on such a nice bike though. I'm surprised the Bike Shed Mortdale let the bike leave the floor with so much exposed steerer.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Link for the Chesini here. Very pretty, but as I said a bit of an unknown for me. Also the wheels don't look 90kg rider friendly.
Does look like it has bene around the block a few times. The wheels don't inspire either.

Would you consider building up what you really like, whatever that might be, from scratch?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Oh god it's got a quill stem and those wheels just scream avoid.
Geeez, no one died from quill stems and they are generally prettier than modern stems. 3TTT and Cinelli make nice stems.
You will be pushing it to get a older fork that is thread less anyhow.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Except the guy is an idiot. I can see on the frame it's an L, so it should be fine up to 185cm.

Also, check out how much steerer he has exposed. An absolute god send for a tall person looking to get a more upright position. At a guess that stem is 100mm but is running negative rise.

But how the fuck did this Homer get his hands on such a nice bike though. I'm surprised the Bike Shed Mortdale let the bike leave the floor with so much exposed steerer.

Ad says "60cm" fame size in the details too ...

Oddjob

I was talking to this guy and was thinking about his bike for a trainer. In the end it was too exy for that, but could have got it for $1500.

I wouldn't touch a secondhand mass market carbon road frame unless it had the BB checked for round and alignment and the frame checked for alignment.

As much as I rag on Specialized I would be more confident their frames are within spec than Trek, Giant, Cervello, Factor etc etc.

More boutique manufacturers with strong track records like Look, Time, 3T, Pinarello etc would also be safer.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That steerer is just epic - so many sternum smashing possibilities. Even if it is an L though, it's still going to be too small for me.
Would you consider building up what you really like, whatever that might be, from scratch?
Maaaay have crossed my mind once or twice. And tbh if the bike was a frame only sale I'd probably have bought it already and accumulated parts over time. Look like some good specials on 11 speed Shimano currently while they're switching over to 12. Would be heaps of fun to build one up.

BUT.... I've been down that path often enough to know I'd also blow whatever budget I set out to the shithouse, so it's a complete for now ;)
I was talking to this guy and was thinking about his bike for a trainer. In the end it was too exy for that, but could have got it for $1500.

I've ridden a Trek road bike (admittedly a Domane) to know I need a 60cm frame in their size. Pity, that's a good deal for someone.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Maaaay have crossed my mind once or twice. And tbh if the bike was a frame only sale I'd probably have bought it already and accumulated parts over time. Look like some good specials on 11 speed Shimano currently while they're switching over to 12. Would be heaps of fun to build one up.
Yay! do it and have no regerts.
BUT.... I've been down that path often enough to know I'd also blow whatever budget I set out to the shithouse, so it's a complete for now ;)
Awwww, well. Fair enough. Cast that net widely and look for something special.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You spelt alpha wrong.
No ragerts there either :D

Campag works like a fine timepiece when it is in its element but seems to get grumpy if the chain gets a bit dirty.
Their road wheels can also be had fairly cheap to find if you are prepared to wait a bit and look around.

Oddjob

If it was my money and I had a hard $3,000 budget, I wouldn't get that Lynskey.

The killer for me is the lack of disc brakes. I've had so many close calls where I've been saved by them I couldn't go back. Your chances of seeing a disc brake Lynskey in XL on the secondhand market are very low.

What I would get is an Ican AC388 https://icancycling.com/collections/gravel-bike-frame/products/gravel-frame-ac388 which comes in under the $1,000 GST mark. Get a 105 groupset and povo DT wheelset from Merlin. The total cost should come in under the $3,000 mark assuming you don't go crazy on the cockpit.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
For $3k or so, and you are going roadie to get your Euro on then you might as well go for a European bike.

Agree with going disc's if possible but that will chain you to a modern bike.

The TdF have done big descents for 100+ years without discs so fear not. You would only lose face at the Cafe while ordering the obligatory latte and being sneered at by dentists that liked roadying more than golf.

Braking is overrated and should never be recommended until it is almost too late.

Oddjob

For $3k or so, and you are going roadie to get your Euro on then you might as well go for a European bike.

Agree with going disc's if possible but that will chain you to a modern bike.

The TdF have done big descents for 100+ years without discs so fear not. You would only lose face at the Cafe while ordering the obligatory latte and being sneered at by dentists that liked roadying more than golf.

Braking is overrated and should never be recommended until it is almost too late.
Yeah but those guys weigh nothing and have you seen what happens when they mess up? No thanks.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah but those guys weigh nothing and have you seen what happens when they mess up? No thanks.

Fear not my disc enabled friend :)

Slippery corners on skinny slick road tyres are more to worry about.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
His recent look at the Winspace T1500 and I CAN A22 were eye opening at how good they were.
Just watching his ICAN review and I'm confident I've never seen him so surprised and positive about a product before. Even inside the frame was immaculate. Testimonials from ICAN frame owners in the comments are positive too.

Definitely on the radar if I ever decide to get a frame straight from China (road or mtb).

Oddjob

Just watching his ICAN review and I'm confident I've never seen him so surprised and positive about a product before. Even inside the frame was immaculate. Testimonials from ICAN frame owners in the comments are positive too.

Definitely on the radar if I ever decide to get a frame straight from China (road or mtb).
I had the same thing happen when I bought a Muovasi from Cyclingdeal https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/muovasi-700c-road-bike-full-carbon-frame-1k-with-f/OT-FR-MI-05. The mechanic who swapped the parts over from my old bike was super impressed with the quality of the frame.