Shock replacement for Yukon FX

Beams

Likes Bikes
The giant rear shock has seized so I m looking for a new shock. Can anyone confirm it's a "standard" size shock - 6.5" eye to eye, and a 1.5" stroke?

I don't know where to start (this is my first dually) - what's good value?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
The giant rear shock has seized so I m looking for a new shock. Can anyone confirm it's a "standard" size shock - 6.5" eye to eye, and a 1.5" stroke?

I don't know where to start (this is my first dually) - what's good value?
6.5 x 1.5 is a standard size - most manufacturers (Fox, Rock Shox, Manitou etc) should have a suitable replacement. Shocks that feature some sort of 'platform' to make them more efficient when you're pedaling are something well worth looking into.

Do you know what is wrong with your shock exactly? Replacing a shock can be an expensive exercise as you will also require the specific hardware to mount it to your frame. A simple repair/rebuild may be a more cost effective solution.

If you're still stuck, I have a 6.5 x 1.5 Rock Shox SID Dual Air shock kicking around here you can have for cheap - you'll probably need to source suitable mounting hardware for it though.

Good luck!

Beams

Likes Bikes
I had the shock on the bike and it wouldn't compress. I let some air out, but still won't compress - so I figured its seized up good? Its a Giant Air shock - so if its affordable, could probably do with an upgrade anyway.

I found a RP2 in the dimensions, which seemed reasonable, in price and from reviews. But I m definitely interested in the SID shock. PM pics and price? :)

tedtoo

Cannon Fodder
Hi Beams,
I had massive problems finding a replacement shock for my Yukon. I ended up getting a Ario 2.2 but had to get a local engineering firm to turn down a new axle to fit. The Yukon Bar shock is non standard sizing...

I do still have the original shock...

Cheers, Ted.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
I agree to Angoxc. Replacing a new shock is very expensive if buying new ones. at least around $4-500. You can probably find a new frame on this forum or ebay for that price. Also Yukon frame may not be that desirable to drop so much money into once it is worn and you might need bearing services too.

Nowdays, bikes are on sale everywhere and cheap. Maybe a new frame or even a new bike will be good. I know Trance X3 2011 with full Fox gears only $1500ish from fortheriders.com.au and others too.

Beams

Likes Bikes
tomli123001: Too true - Ive come from hardtails and the Yukon was too cheap to pass up as an entry dually, perhaps with good reason...

So I found the factory suspension guide for 2006/08 (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/backo...models/manual/08SuspensionQSGuide20070609.pdf) - it recommends 6.5" eye to eye and 1.5" stroke.

tedtoo: What are the details for your Ario?

So I am mega confused. Literature says it *should* be standard sizing (or at least recommended for standard sizing). Id avoid having a shock machined, but I wouldn't mind a better shock.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your after just something cheap to get it going alright then you could go for something like this..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCK-SHO...ccessories&hash=item336c5b1711#ht_1499wt_1156

But if your looking for more of an upgrade id look at the Fox Float range or a Rockshox Monarch i think they're called..
A quick look on fleabay found one going cheap-ish:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fox-Floa...cling_Parts&hash=item20bd0882c8#ht_500wt_1156

But that size is out there.. just have to look around.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
But I m definitely interested in the SID shock. :)
8374.jpg

Looks like this. Very similar aesthetically to the Rock Shox Bar but it has a separate air valve for each chamber. It's nothing special - no platform or anything - just valves and a rebound adjuster. Was holding air the last time I used it (~3 years ago) and is in good shape visually. It's worth noting however that this guy takes 12mm hardware (as opposed to 12.7mm for current Rock Shox, Fox, Marzocchi, Cane Creek etc) but I'd double check what's in the Giant shock at present as you may be able to switch it over directly. Most good bike shops should be able to hook you up there.

Say $50 + postage? *shrugs* In Melbourne by the way - I'll get some images tomorrow in daylight.

EDIT: Sorry for the massive image.

tedtoo

Cannon Fodder
tomli123001: tedtoo: What are the details for your Ario?
Ok so my Ario was bought from CRC. It has a lockout and works quite well. But, as AngoXC says, the Ario/Fox/Rockshox bush sizes are not the same size as the supplied Giant shock. And, it is not advisable to machine down the shock bush housings. The main issue was the shaft. I needed to get a stepped shaft turned out of stainless to fit the 'standard' Ario!

Anyways, it works a treat.

I still have the original Yukon-giant-bar shock if you want it.

In fact, I fitted some Tora folks to the bike some time ago and have just recently upgraded the steel spring to air and 120mm. Lifts the front a bit and makes it a little more stable on the downs.

I have fitted solid axles to stop the flex and lighter buts where I can (seat/post/stem/bars/cranks - but heavier tyres! - so in the end it has come down from 16+Kg to about 13+ - I have had it as low as 12.5 but not really suitable for DH - see below)

I race XC on an Anthem and sort of wanted to set the Yukon up as a hack DH bike - mostly to get better at DHing. Not serious, just a bit faster - and am too scared of breaking the Anthem if I push it too hard on the DHs.

My dream would be to own a Commencal Supreme mini... but that doesn't even make sense, because I am into XC - it's just that the Supreme is such a sweet looking rig...

Alas, back to switchbacking...

T:)

tedtoo

Cannon Fodder
@tedtoo

What is the eyelet diameter (without bushing) of the Giant-branded shock?
the stock Giant Bar shock eyelet is 12.7mm (or half-inch) inside diam without bush and the Ario is 12mm (standard fox is 15mm)

T:)

Last edited: