Shock and fork servicing/upgrade recommendations

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Seems my damper was not working the best so needed a bit of a service. Will definitely feel better but were out of stock of a few of the small upgrades, so would have only been a level 3 service on the fork.

Spoke about a Grip2 or Push coil conversion, they were out of Grip2 and the other issue is my fork is actually 150mm... for some reason I had it in my head it was 160mm :rolleyes:

So it will be returned to me with a full fork service, increased from 150mm to 160mm and a ACS3 coil conversion... I'm a slut for small bump compliance, thus why I run maximum sag... looking forward to trying this out, should be butter smooth with coils front and back.
I can vouch for the Luftkappe if that helps. Took out the tokens and I much prefer the intial sensitivity, I think I added about 8PSI to what I had before. I had it in a 34 but I'll fit one to my 36 Grip when it's due for it's first service. Pretty cheap at $110

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Absolutely, I hope the hype is real.... 'no better small bump compliance than a coil conversion'
it is the biggest thing I noticed when I started again - the small bump comparison of the air suspension vs coil.....seriously tempted to swap to coil at some point to compare but not so easy with the fork because if it sucks it cannot go back to air using these conversions....rear is easy enough though

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My fork couldn't get any worse, might as well of had tennis balls in there :rolleyes:

I spent about 6 months tweaking the settings and reading shit to get them both tuned up, ended up with 3 x Valt springs and now at a stage with the rear coil shock where is perfect, no bucking off jumps, its really good.

The fork was a different matter, it was getting worse and a self service didnt make one bit of difference... it was actually turning me off the bike.

slowmick

38-39"
Be prepared for a freaky feeling when you get the fork back. I have a Vorsprung kit in my 36 and it was the first time the fork actually moved under heavy seated pedalling. Was a very weird sensation on the first big up hill - if I mash away i can get a bit of a swing up between the front and rear compressing :D.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Be prepared for a freaky feeling when you get the fork back. I have a Vorsprung kit in my 36 and it was the first time the fork actually moved under heavy seated pedalling. Was a very weird sensation on the first big up hill - if I mash away i can get a bit of a swing up between the front and rear compressing :D.
Are you talking about converting to spring or luftkappe?

ozzybmx

I used to think pedal bob was inefficient, now I'm hoping for that inefficiency.

ozzybmx

Got my fork back today... 100% better, so smooth and just eats up small bumps.

But... have emailed Cyclinic with a query.

I can only get 32mm of sag (standing upright on the pedals) which is 20% of 160mm.

After 2 short downhill runs at Andos to test it out, I had only used 110mm of travel, which is 68% of 160mm.

The ACS has an air bump stop to help ramp the coil at the end of its stroke, this kicks in at 65% so the 68% of use was basically just the spring.

I opened the bump stop up (where the air valve used to be), pre load is minimal, no spacers so my thinking is my spring it too heavy. I have emailed all the details, they will know what I need.

I am currently in broken fat mode, been 85kg nekked for 10yrs, now tipping the scales at nearly 90kg so I gave them the weight of 88kg which is me back at 85kg and ready to ride... coz i'll be back there soon :oops:

This put me squarely in the upper middle of the green spring... but might have to go blue.

Anyhow, it still feels awesome as it is.

Last edited:

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
How much travel can you get standing on it and slamming down into the bike as hard as possible. Should use most. I would say all if it didn't have a ramp function.

ozzybmx

I didnt try it... still nursing a couple of broken ribs, managed a couple of DH runs but not jarring and twisting fast just yet.

The little bump stop only has between 5psi-50psi in it, I pressed it right down with say 3-5kg of pressure, so probably min pressure in it and add as needed.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I didnt try it... still nursing a couple of broken ribs, managed a couple of DH runs but not jarring and twisting fast just yet.

The little bump stop only has between 5psi-50psi in it, I pressed it right down with say 3-5kg of pressure, so probably min pressure in it and add as needed.

Are you trying to say that the Air bump spring only has 5 psi at static ?

ozzybmx

Are you trying to say that the Air bump spring only has 5 psi at static ?
Haven't checked what it is right now, its on the last 35% of the stroke, its the first 65% thats on my mind at the moment ;)

My thinking was that you can put between 5-50psi into it depending on how you like the final stroke to be, maybe for tuning if you are big hitter.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

I can only get 32mm of sag (standing upright on the pedals) which is 20% of 160mm.

After 2 short downhill runs at Andos to test it out, I had only used 110mm of travel, which is 68% of 160mm.

The ACS has an air bump stop to help ramp the coil at the end of its stroke, this kicks in at 65% so the 68% of use was basically just the spring.

I opened the bump stop up (where the air valve used to be), pre load is minimal, no spacers so my thinking is my spring it too heavy. I have emailed all the details, they will know what I need.

I am currently in broken fat mode, been 85kg nekked for 10yrs, now tipping the scales at nearly 90kg so I gave them the weight of 88kg which is me back at 85kg and ready to ride... coz i'll be back there soon :oops:

This put me squarely in the upper middle of the green spring... but might have to go blue.

I know choosing the right coil spring rate is a very personal thing but here's my two cents.

That indicator ring looks in bump stop territory...remember the Fox forks leave about 8mm of stanchion showing at bottom out from memory. I'm the same weight and started with the green spring in a Fox 36 @160 travel and then went up to the black as I felt the green was too soft and needed too much help from the air bump stop and didn't like the ramp up. The black was fine for race runs but for trail riding it was a little firm.

How sore are your ribs btw? If they are holding you back I would wait until they heal a little more before changing anything.....if they are still tender surely you'll be favouring Cadillac style comfort?

gippyz

Likes Dirt

View attachment 359807

View attachment 359806
May I ask how much did it cost to convert? Just a ballpark figure will do.

I have a cc helm coil and boxxer coil and loved both very much. I’ve been toying with the idea of push acs 3 on my lyrik. Seems cheaper than getting a brand new cc coil.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May I ask how much did it cost to convert? Just a ballpark figure will do.

I have a cc helm coil and boxxer coil and loved both very much. I’ve been toying with the idea of push acs 3 on my lyrik. Seems cheaper than getting a brand new cc coil.
Cyclinic page lists $699 for upgrade (plus basic service). I'd assume that includes cost of ACS3 kit and spring? Considering ACS3 myself, seems easy enough to self install though.