Shock and fork servicing/upgrade recommendations

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been doing my own for a long time, used NS Dynamics once when I unloaded the CTD grub-screw on a shock and didn't realise it was spring loaded and spun around 360°, the CTD wouldn't work then so I sent it to NSD for a fix and service.

Got oils, seals and all most of the stuff I need but starting to think the googling to find the parts, the worry I have ordered the right stuff (which is too late when you have your fork in bits) isn't worth the hassle for my bikes. I also refuse to buy another seal installation tool for the tight Fox fork seals, already got the 32mm, I'm not really enthused about collecting anymore.

Its no worries with my boys bikes, 40kg each and 50psi in their forks, a seal swap and leg service takes me 20mins so I will continue to do theirs at home.

So what recommendations for a service centre ? NDS, Cyclinic, MTB suspension centre... any others ?

Also, just been reading about some of NSD's upgrades, are any of them worth getting ? Has anyone had that Vorsprung ‘Luftkappe’ upgrade ?

Since getting a little bit more 'trail' orientated, I am starting to appreciate small bump and a greater ramp at the end of the stroke.

The fork is a Fox factory 34 float fit4 and the the shock is a Monarch RT3 debonair.

Cheers

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm a big fan of mtb suspension centre.

the Mrp ramp control is well worth it.

DVO Topaz is a much better shock than the Monarch.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I put the luftkappe in my 2018 36's and was very happy with the increased sensitivity off the top and the ramp up with less tokens. Well worth the small entry price especially if you fit yourself.

herbman

Likes Dirt
I put the luftkappe in my 2018 36's and was very happy with the increased sensitivity off the top and the ramp up with less tokens. Well worth the small entry price especially if you fit yourself.
It was great for the sensitivity for my 2017’s
And was not that hard to install but you really do need a set of 10mm sharft clamps.
It gave an improvement of close to 10 points on a shock wiz with no other changes being made to the the setup of the fork.350821

ozzybmx

I reckon I'll send them off to NSD and get the hyperformance Service + Luftkappe for my fork and a hyperformance service on the shock.

Been feeling a bit like a new bike lately, even know my Evil is exactly what I need for around here, might see how this goes first.

Will give them a call on Monday and see what they think.

Cheers all.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If the fork in question is a Fox 34 you might want to consider the Vorsprung Fractive conversion as well. It converts the 'CTD' adjuster to a HSC adjuster.

I haven't used it myself, but my main complaint of my Fit 4 34's has been lack of HSC control, which leaves them feeling pretty harsh when trying to ride aggressively as they don't track the ground well at all through chatter or rocks and tend to just 'spike' and bounce. Fractive and Luftkappe would get 34's about as good as the chassis would allow in my opinion.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Been feeling a bit like a new bike lately, even know my Evil is exactly what I need for around here, might see how this goes first.
How long has it been since your last ride? I get like this when I uaven’t been out in awhile, then one good ride later and I’m happy with my bike again.

ozzybmx

How long has it been since your last ride? I get like this when I uaven’t been out in awhile, then one good ride later and I’m happy with my bike again.
The bike in question, last weekend... but ridden 3 others since then, even just this morning on the commute home from nightshift.

I serviced my boys before tassie and knew right away mine needed done, but had no seals.
My Evil is only 120mm/130mm with a 66.8°HA so it's awesome for trail riding, but need to get the best out of the suspension.

ozzybmx

If the fork in question is a Fox 34 you might want to consider the Vorsprung Fractive conversion as well. It converts the 'CTD' adjuster to a HSC adjuster.

I haven't used it myself, but my main complaint of my Fit 4 34's has been lack of HSC control, which leaves them feeling pretty harsh when trying to ride aggressively as they don't track the ground well at all through chatter or rocks and tend to just 'spike' and bounce. Fractive and Luftkappe would get 34's about as good as the chassis would allow in my opinion.
Thanks, yes 34s and I have never used the lockout on my fork ever, might as well make use of it.

On a mission to get the best out of both fork and shock. The shock is not too bad, though could be better...but the fork feels shit.

Cheers for the info all !

Will have a chat to them tomorrow.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

The Grip damper out of the Fox34 Rythm is another option. I actually prefer the feel of my Fox34 Rythm to my Fox 36 Factory rc2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah that's true come to think of it. I've got a 34 Rhythm on a hardtail (that admittedly I don't ride much so kind of forget about) and it's noticeably more composed and supple than the Factory Fit 4. Hadn't thought of swapping the damper across.

ozzybmx

The Grip damper out of the Fox34 Rythm is another option. I actually prefer the feel of my Fox34 Rythm to my Fox 36 Factory rc2.
See what I've missed out on riding rigid SS and XC/Marathon, was happy with my 100mm of squish even when it felt sticky. Now wanting to sail down the trails like I was on a magic carpet....

Reckon the missus has one of those Rhythms on her e-bike... that fork feels really nice, though it has only 130km on the clock.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Yeah that's true come to think of it. I've got a 34 Rhythm on a hardtail (that admittedly I don't ride much so kind of forget about) and it's noticeably more composed and supple than the Factory Fit 4. Hadn't thought of swapping the damper across.
Mine is really plush too. I think it may be related to the fact that the damper leg uses much more oil than a sealed cartridge (the Rhythm is not sealed) and as you say, it's really composed. I'm not really missing my Pike.

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
It was great for the sensitivity for my 2017’s
And was not that hard to install but you really do need a set of 10mm sharft clamps.
It gave an improvement of close to 10 points on a shock wiz with no other changes being made to the the setup of the fork.View attachment 350821
Curious why the snapshot pic has the shock travel at 18%? At rest, it normal is within a 1-2% from the zeroed calibration.

slowmick

38-39"
Good evening team - who do you use when sending your gear to NSDynamics? I have a fork and a shock to send up. The bike is a bit of a lowrider at the moment.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If you use Cyclinic they give you a label to print out and attach. Then you just drop it into the post office.

I've had great service from them too a few times now. I'll be using them again for sure.