Shipping a Bike Box Europe to Australia

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys, I'm heading to Europe and thinking I'll do a month of riding / relaxing up in the French alps. I'm then continuing on for another month or two on non-MTB related stuff.

Very undecided what to do regarding a bike. I don't want to drag one around with me after the riding trip finishes. I don't currently own a bike of my own (riding a shop loaner which I'll have to give back) so either way I need to buy a new bike. This leaves me with 2 main options, I think:
  1. Buy a nice new bike over there, ride it for a month and ship it back to Aus.
  2. Buy an average used bike over there ride it for a month and then try to sell it again a little cheaper.
Has anyone got first-hand experience shipping a bike box from Europe (I'll be in France but headed to the UK afterward so could ship from there) to Australia and can share what it cost them? CRC seems to ship new bikes for $200 which would be great, but unsure if this sort of pricing is available to consumers.

Keen to if anyone has first hand experience here - otherwise I'll look at getting a few quotes.

Cheers!

safreek

Can't help with shipping info but I found s perfect bike for you

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'd probably go for number 1 too only because there's no guarantee you'll sell a bike before you leave.

But so many great UK bikes to choose from that aren't readily available or have a hefty markup here like Stanton, Orange, Bird, Atherton, Hope and Pace.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Option one every time.

Bring an empty bike bag with you though.
Option 1's the preference, but not if I'm gonna get reamed like a grand for shipping :/

Can't help with shipping info but I found s perfect bike for you

Yep and I'll mail it back to you! Right up your alley.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Option 1 for sure. Claim the VAT back when you leave and use it to pay the excess baggage charge.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Find somewhere at or near an airport and pay to store it there, bring back as excess baggage.

As others have said, go over with a bike bag so you're 'bringing back' the bike you brought with you from oz...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Find somewhere at or near an airport and pay to store it there, bring back as excess baggage.

As others have said, go over with a bike bag so you're 'bringing back' the bike you brought with you from oz...
& Fill the bike bag with all the parts you need to fit to your shiny new frame :D

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Option 1 for sure. Claim the VAT back when you leave and use it to pay the excess baggage charge.
Ask the shop to give you a VAT refund form, then claim the VAT at the booth at the airport on leaving the UK.

Make sure the bike is clean but used... a couple of well places tacky stickers doesn't hurt in making it look used.

If declared on arriving back in Aus, you will pay GST :confused:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Last time I looked into shipping back a bike I ended up lugging it around and taking it on the plane. Pre-paid excess luggage was much cheaper and it seems couriers/shipping companies are more interested in businesses.