Shin pads

shore_2

Likes Dirt
New to bike trials and there's a LOT to learn. Unfortunately my shins and legs are looking a little second hand Thanks to my lovely sharp pedals.
What are the best lower leg guards?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Not really one for trials but check out Troy Lee stuff, also have a look at the DH/AM threads, I think theres a post in there somewhere about pads :) Cheers

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I had a look at them. Most of them have an open back. I need some that are closed on the back as well.

slowmick

38-39"
i have lizard skin shin guards. love em - they cover from the top of your shoe up to your knee pads. unless you have extra big legs they should go pretty close to wrapping around your calves. i have had mine for close to 10 years. seems they still make them. cam from a BMX shop.

poita

Likes Dirt
I use g-form, no protection on the back (just a Lycra sleeve) but nice and light weight. Probably not overly durable for repeated trials abuse, but are very comfy

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
We sell the G-form pads to Biketrialsdirect ... I never thought about the rear side for protection, but understand why you would want it at the start. Have a chat with Owen as I'm sure he can recommend you a set.

By chance if G-Form does eventually meet your needs I recommend looking at the Soccer Shin pads ... a little meatier and squarer wrapping around the sides of the shin a little more.

My Name is Nick

Likes Bikes
After copping a massive branch to the shin a mate of mine stook pity on me and gave me a pair of 661 shin protectors, after a few months rehab I put them on and they have saved my now very ugly shins from yet more damage, chicks dig scars but sometimes not that many! they aren't the most expensive pads on the market but they do the job, as for rear protection they wrap around a fair bit so you should be covered. I'm just a dumb chippie who rides bikes but give them a go.

stocktrials

Likes Dirt
I used to wear 661 Veggie shin guards, they provided good protection (and prevented some serious damage) but can get quite hot. I imagine the 661 AM Comp shin guards would be similar.
Otherwise O'Neal, TSG, etc have similar styles.

G-Form are good too. I use Jitsie (available from www.expressivebikes.com) which are a bit more minimal, very light and breathable, offering protection at the front and again, just lycra back. They have a removable hard plastic shank too.
http://www.expressivebikes.com/clothing/jitsie-dynamic-shin-guards-adults

Side note: 15 years riding trials and I wore shinpads for the first 3. Then stopped for some reason (big mistake) and have been wearing shinnies again for the past 5.
Wear them!

xero

Supersports
For trails especially when learning you want something more BMX shin guard style.....

These are technically an open back design, but the neoprene and velcro straps pretty much do the job saving the back of your leg.

http://www.supersports.net.au/products/bikes/tsg/tsg-padding-14

76012_102_01_710.jpg

The shinguard BMX comes in a flexible neoprene construction with a fully removable high density PE shin splint to keep slipped pedals from tattooing your shin.

Soft and flexible neoprene
Removable strong PE shin board
EVA foam padding
4 back velcro straps for a great fit

teK--

Eats Squid
On the (rare) occasions I ride flats I have a pair of Nike shin guards which are meant for Soccer, and wear them under a long pair of compression socks.