Shimano SlX 4 pot brakes

PJO

in me vL comy
Not much more than $200 for SLX 4pot on bikebug, sans hoses.
$45 for a four-pot caliper seems really cheap am I missing something.
The lower spec four-pot BR-MT520 is almost 1.5-2 times this price most other places.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I've got no idea on why they are so cheap. The levers I got have arrived already and look bloody good for $50 ish. The only downside I can see without using them is that the lever blade itself looks and feels a little cheap, can see the machine marks on it (from being stamped I guess?) and its not dimpled like the XT ones I used to have.

The calipers are coming in a separate package and are due "end of august", which I wish was made clear during the checkout process. To me, it read as if they were a special order item, i.e. maybe a week or two max wait. Turns out that they hadn't actually been manufactured yet... I feel like it should have been labelled a pre-order. Lucky I've borrowed some codes :rolleyes: in the meantime.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
I've got no idea on why they are so cheap. The levers I got have arrived already and look bloody good for $50 ish. The only downside I can see without using them is that the lever blade itself looks and feels a little cheap, can see the machine marks on it (from being stamped I guess?) and its not dimpled like the XT ones I used to have.

The calipers are coming in a separate package and are due "end of august", which I wish was made clear during the checkout process. To me, it read as if they were a special order item, i.e. maybe a week or two max wait. Turns out that they hadn't actually been manufactured yet... I feel like it should have been labelled a pre-order. Lucky I've borrowed some codes :rolleyes: in the meantime.
Do you know if the calipers come with the Banjo bolt? The bolts required for the BR-M7120 are the same as the XTR (M9120 I think) ones, but can't seem to find them anywhere for sale separately online.

Edit: ...and they aren't the same as previous model XT/SLX nor Saint/Zee

Last edited:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone who bought these and have received the items confirm what is included?

I want to buy the callipers as it seems like a mistake in their pricing.

Also curious if the levers include any fittings other than the master cylinder.

@wkkie @Shredden @born-again-biker

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
Lever came with only the lever itself and the rubber shroud thing that covers where the hose enters.

Shimano website (here - https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/component/slx-m7100/BR-M7120.html) lists the compatible hose as being the SM-BH90-SBM. So I also got two of those from bikebug, 1000mm and 1700mm. Interestingly, they came with several pieces not listed on the front of the packet - another one of those rubber lever shrouds, and the bolt that goes into the caliper.

Pretty sure once the calipers arrive that's everything you'll need?

Attachments

PJO

in me vL comy
Lever came with only the lever itself and the rubber shroud thing that covers where the hose enters.

Shimano website (here - https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/component/slx-m7100/BR-M7120.html) lists the compatible hose as being the SM-BH90-SBM. So I also got two of those from bikebug, 1000mm and 1700mm. Interestingly, they came with several pieces not listed on the front of the packet - another one of those rubber lever shrouds, and the bolt that goes into the caliper.

Pretty sure once the calipers arrive that's everything you'll need?
Banjo bolt is supposedly different to the one you just got, the hose is compatible just not the bolt.

About 3/4 of the way down on this page are pics of the three different bolts:

Hoping you get one with the caliper when it arrives.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Banjo bolt is supposedly different to the one you just got, the hose is compatible just not the bolt.
Ahh yes okay, well yeah, I hope they come with the bolt!

Another two things - the colour of the SLX is way better IRL. It's not so much a dark blue as it is more of a grey IMO. Also, the pad contact adjuster has a blank screw in it with two little pin holes. From what I can see, you could remove this pretty easily and put a short screw in and have normal pad contact adjustment as you would on XT.

Reactions: PJO