Shimano lever and hose compatability

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I have a BR-MT520 brakeset which includes a BL-MT501 lever.
One of the pistons in the caliper is buggered, so it looks like I may need a new caliper.

I am considering getting an SLX caliper SLX BR-M7120
I believe that I will also need to get the hose SM-BH90-SBM

Would this work with my existing BL-MT501 lever? I am considering this as a MT520 caliper is $100 and the SLX caliper and hose would only be $114.

I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading or just sticking to what I have and get a new MT520 caliper.

Thanks

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hi,

I have a BR-MT520 brakeset which includes a BL-MT501 lever.
One of the pistons in the caliper is buggered, so it looks like I may need a new caliper.

I am considering getting an SLX caliper SLX BR-M7120
I believe that I will also need to get the hose SM-BH90-SBM

Would this work with my existing BL-MT501 lever? I am considering this as a MT520 caliper is $100 and the SLX caliper and hose would only be $114.

I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading or just sticking to what I have and get a new MT520 caliper.

Thanks
I have just been given too many brakes (thanks @wkkie!), if you don't mind a mismatched caliper I can definitely pass one on. If that's helpful, black or silver preferred? There is basically two types of connections with Shimano, banjo or nut and olive. I have both here but if you're not sure which is which just upload a photo.

Or! Someone else might be able to help here, it might just be a seal - don't know how much of an effort this is to replace. Deore level shouldn't have ceramic pistons so it won't have a cracked piston.

Edit - just saw your other thread, I'd assumed these were basic deores. I have no 4 potters, move along, nothing to see here...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Last edited: