Shifters wearing out ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
When a Shimano 2 way release {rear derailleur right } shifter wears and the little shifter arm wont change to a higher gear with your index finger clicking towards you but changes when you push away the little shifter with your thumb, is that because some catch inside is worn out ?
Hope I have explained what I have observed clearly .
I have pulled one apart in the past they are very complex.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d assume that the release mechanism has worn for the pull direction but not the push. Maybe try shifting with just your thumb.

moorey

call me Mia
When a Shimano 2 way release {rear derailleur right } shifter wears and the little shifter arm wont change to a higher gear with your index finger clicking towards you but changes when you push away the little shifter with your thumb, is that because some catch inside is worn out ?
Hope I have explained what I have observed clearly .
I have pulled one apart in the past they are very complex.
Who uses their finger to shift in 2021? :oops:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I’d assume that the release mechanism has worn for the pull direction but not the push. Maybe try shifting with just your thumb.
Yep works but its my wife's shifter and its hard enough to get her to concentrate.
I did pile in the WD40 , may try silicon too and it seems a lot better so may be the grease is holding back the clicking thingo ?

Minlak

custom titis
Yep works but its my wife's shifter and its hard enough to get her to concentrate.
I did pile in the WD40 , may try silicon too and it seems a lot better so may be the grease is holding back the clicking thingo ?
It could just be a dirt / crude / old grease build up - WD40 is not a lubricant though - put something else in there after the WD 40 dries out - Well unless you put it on your brakes then it is a pretty good lubricant it seems