Shed workbench designs

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's fair and I'm probably starting to move well outside the original scope but you could put in a small set of stairs to access the area above the bench which can still be bat cave storage. Don't underestimate how much of a toll standing on uneven ground for extended periods will take on your body.

View attachment 397817
I was thinking I’d make some platforms to level the ground in front of the bench. But even with bench at the back, it’s still uneven.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
So I'm thinking dynabolt some timber to the wall at bench height, dynabolt some raised post mounts on the floor at the front, and triangulate against the wall...
Yes I agree, I’d be doing exactly that.

I was thinking I’d make some platforms to level the ground in front of the bench. But even with bench at the back, it’s still uneven.
As mentioned, build a small platform to stand on, parallel with the bench surface, maybe a metre deep.

I think the thing I’m most excited about it having somewhere to mount a proper vice… I’ve been making do without for decades!
Me too… I’ve been shed-less since we moved over a year ago, and have been clamping vices to things to get jobs done… not having a vice is murder… try saying say that out of context.

But, my new workshop is almost complete. Two benches, two vices, two shadow boards and two racks await me. Just had the floor two pack epoxied, and plumber and sparky booked in for Wednesday, and then in I go. It's not huge, but I don't do cars.

Can’t fricken wait.

Workshop 1.JPG

Workshop 2.JPG

Workshop 3.JPG

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Details please - DIY?
Long lasting? Have 3 bay incoming, some woodworking, homebrewing and motorbikes and mountain bikes -
Can be DIY'd, Dulux Luxafloor is one of the 2-pack options.

There are also many people who can come and do the job for you with a fancier job than you can DIY.

Fuck, I cant imagine having to move everything out of my garage to do the job in the first place... its a good job to do from new.

Looks awesome, so much nicer than stained concrete :rolleyes:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just had the floor two pack epoxied
Details please - DIY?
Long lasting?
Na, not DIY.

This guy, a very good mate, does it for a living. This job is fairly ho hum for him, as he normally works in Toorak, Sth Yarra, Beaumaris, etc… doing ground, polished concrete with exotic finishes.

Epoxy Bubble Burster.JPG

Anyway, I do all his guitar setups, and in previous lives I have been his drummer, so he did me a favour. Tell you what though, his cutting in is perfection and the photos don’t do it justice. BTW, he’s the guy doing the Blown your Bubble clip in the “you might get a bit of a laugh” thread.

Long lasting...? This is the stuff he suggested to me for the workshop. There were cheaper options, but he recommended to spend the money. He said it can handle cars no worries, and we all know that is not gonna happen, so it should be sweet for pushies and motos.

Epoxy 2 Pack.JPG

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you can do free standing, grab some chi-exion racking from scumtree.

I have 7 spans of this stuff in my garage, the work bench is under $200 and when you factor in the cost of wood, its probably not much different.

They have a metal top but its tinny, I started with a sheet of form ply about 4-5 yrs ago then added another after learning not to cut shit on on top of the nice surface.

There must be a seller of this stuff in every city, we have 3 in backwater rAdelaide.

View attachment 397758
Ive come around to this idea. Will require some angle grinder action on legs at the back, but can anchor bolt it to the wall as well as to the floor.

And as you guessed, there is a bloke on Gumtree in Hobart selling them!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
@Haakon go the pallet racking like @ozzybmx and @creaky and use something like these as levellers (just drill and through bolt them once you get the rack/bench plumb and level.)
or do as @Dales Cannon says and stick some metal together with the high temp sparkly glue gun rather than mess around with timber.
With these.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FWIW, my bench is 2m or 2.4m x 600mm deep, the form ply I have on it is 900mm so about 280-290mm hangs over the back with a some stuff sitting on the overhang, far enough back so I can flip a bike on the front part. The bottom piece of form ply was cut to 750mm originally, it was like that for a few years and gave me the shizz every time I wanted to flip a bike, the second piece on top is the full uncut 900mm.
See pic on page 1.

If you look at the picture, you can see a gap at the back left leg, there is a 100mm slot cut for a sliding door behind the tool box, and a 200mm gap between the leg and the door.

Your plenth/foundations looks more than 300mm but it might get you close without cutting the legs.