Shake up of Shimano gruppos - CUES

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Updated 9sp (non-clutched), 10 and 11sp (clutched) Shimano drivelines. Looking like some seriously good options can be built out of these:
About time someone did this, streamlined and simplified.

The easiest way to think about CUES in terms of the legacy groups dying off in this extinction event is that CUES U4000 replaces Altus and Acera while CUES U6000 replaces Alivio and Deore HG. This is a long overdue de-muddling of the Deore moniker. CUES U6000 replaces Deore 10/11-speed HG and Deore 11-speed LG is going to murder the sale of Shimano's M5100 12-speed HG+ group.

CUES U4000 is a 9-speed group. CUES U6000 is a 10 & 11-speed group. Both use 11-speed chains and Shimano's newer LinkGlide (LG) shifting. This means that the cassette pitch and cable pull ratios make them inter-compatible with Deore M5130 and XT M8130 LG drivetrains.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Apparently comparable with any brand chain - they’re saying all the shifting performance comes from the cassette not the chain.

Would be nice if they incorporated GRX into this so we could easily build mutant commuter mtb’s that definitely aren’t gravel bikes.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Apparently comparable with any brand chain - they’re saying all the shifting performance comes from the cassette not the chain.

Would be nice if they incorporated GRX into this so we could easily build mutant commuter mtb’s that definitely aren’t gravel bikes.
I’m totally not talking to myself here, but just read on BikeRadar that the U8000 group includes a 46/32 double crankset option.

49833467-062C-4EBF-B022-85F048F97268.gif

madstace

Likes Dirt
Has anyone ever ridden the LinkGlide stuff? I've found SFA online about actual riding experiences, would be good to compare to Hyperglide+, 'cus I don't think I can go back...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Interesting development:

Key highlights:
- Standardised 11 speed chain for 9/10/11 speed
- Standardised shifter and rd compatibility across 9/10/11 speed

Lowlights - looks like it's incompatible with everything else currently out there lol.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I’m pretty excited by the flexibility and customisation that this seems to be leading to. 46/32 2x mtb crankset already announced, and suggestion that this will replace the lower end road groups with cross compatibility.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
what is the internet going to be able to whinge about?
That they didn't use an existing standard lol. Strange they didn't just use existing 11 speed pull ratio, unless they did and just not saying.

I am just happy they kept HG freewhubs, I was worried it would all go microspline there for a minute.

ozzybmx

In the old system, road shifters were compatible with road and GRX derailleurs, but not MTB derailleurs.

At the lower end Alivio/Acera etc there were MTB style shifters with road pull ratios.

They must be making it all MTB pull ratio now for it to be compatible with current XT.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sounds like a good way forward once any existing mid tier stuff is too worn out or uneconomic to throw more $$$ at. I'd bet Cue would be a solid groupset overall and they wouldn't have much trouble selling it.

Shimano might want to keep the mid tier range simplified so they can focus on 13 speed :D

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Shimano might want to keep the mid tier range simplified so they can focus on 13 speed
Most of the focus is on bike shops holding enough stock but imagine if you are shimano and you have to continue to manufacture, and store the entire product range. This is an easy way to consolidate their stuff.

Funny thing is sram was onto a good thing with 10 speed that was cross compatible with their entire range (MTB and road) and they basically have no limited support for that now - pretty sure the spares are not being produced, jsut leftover stock in peoples stash and warehouses.

ozzybmx

Funny thing is sram was onto a good thing with 10 speed that was cross compatible with their entire range (MTB and road) and they basically have no limited support for that now - pretty sure the spares are not being produced, jsut leftover stock in peoples stash and warehouses.
10spd original SRAM RED was recalled, leaving only the SRAM S700 groupset in 10spd, SRAM never brought back RED, instead replacing the recalled groupset with RED22, which was 11spd. Shortly after discontinuing S700.

I have S700 on my Pivot Vault with a type 2 X0 10spd derailleur :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
10spd original SRAM RED was recalled, leaving only the SRAM S700 groupset in 10spd
I seem to recall apex and rival doing 10 speed - pretty sure I built up an apex monstercross back in the day with x7. Do you mean for hydro shifters, because cable options were defo there?

Also what's the go with changing BB and crank designs? Not sure what that achieves?

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I seem to recall apex and rival doing 10 speed - pretty sure I built up an apex monstercross back in the day with x7. Do you mean for hydro shifters, because cable options were defo there?

Also what's the go with changing BB and crank designs? Not sure what that achieves?
Yes the last of the 10spd hydro.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Love the concept, not sure how they've managed to achieve the same pull ratio across 9, 10 and 11 speeds with wide range cassettes. It would be good to see some of the cross compatibility in real life. I'm sure you-tubers will get plenty of content out of it.

It's great that they are stream-lining some things now, but it's just another thing to consider (and cause confusion for some) whilst current and older groupsets remain in use on bikes already purchased. We've been trained that 9, 10 and 11 speeds aren't compatible.

I'd like to see how robust CUES claim to be.
Can it be hit by a baseball bat?