Service your new forks before riding

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Sounds a bit extreme, but for Rockshox forks at least, I'd recommend pulling them apart and making sure there are proper amounts of splash lube and grease on the main seals.

I've seen many new RS forks over the years and almost without exception they arrive from the factory with something sub-optimal.

My latest 2019 Rebas were no exception. When I dropped the lowers there was so little splash lube that nothing dripped out and not-surprisingly the foam rings were dry. This really compromised the fork's small bump sensitivity.

On the positive side, dropping the lowers is extremely easy to do and at most a 15min job so there's no excuse for not checking your fork out from new.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you reuse the crush washers on fox forks if you do this? Also if you want to change oil more often?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes, I reuse the crush washers. If I'm keen, I'll smear just a touch of oil-resistant silicone on them too.

But buy a pack of 50 from somewhere so you never have to worry again.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That's probably why I can't tune mine for the small bump I want.

What is the proper name for this splash lube you speak of?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
That's probably why I can't tune mine for the small bump I want.

What is the proper name for this splash lube you speak of?
For the lowers, you want a good sticky slider oil. Something like Motorex Supergliss or Fox gold. I use the Supergliss, it's good stuff.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
For the lowers, you want a good sticky slider oil. Something like Motorex Supergliss or Fox gold. I use the Supergliss, it's good stuff.
Was gonna ask if it had to be rockshox, but there's my answer!

Being rural we have a multitude of dirt bike shops, I'll have a poke and see what I can find

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It is indeed criminal what the fork manufacturers fail to achieve at time of assembly. Are the cast lowers that porous they absorb 5-10mLs of oil? Or just a case of CGAF? Or intentional, hoping the end user needs to buy a new a new CSU inside 50 hours use?

I see it all the time too in forks I have apart, even 0 hour forks.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
For splash lube I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil because it's what I have for the cars. Supergliss and other bedway lubes are good too as well as most synthetic motor oils.

Some people remove the foam rings from their forks. I think this is a big mistake. They really help to keep the fork running smoothly and trap any dirt before it gets to the bushings.

As soon as your fork starts to feel less plush than normal it's time to drop the lowers for a clean and lube.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
For splash lube I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil because it's what I have for the cars. Supergliss and other bedway lubes are good too as well as most synthetic motor oils.

Some people remove the foam rings from their forks. I think this is a big mistake. They really help to keep the fork running smoothly and trap any dirt before it gets to the bushings.

As soon as your fork starts to feel less plush than normal it's time to drop the lowers for a clean and lube.
I've been using nylon 5-30w fully synthetic in my own fleet due to car usage, no dramas.

Removing foam rings and not using at all? Madness. Make em super wet I say.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Removing foam rings and not using at all? Madness. Make em super wet I say.
Yeah. Years ago there were a bunch of wallys on mtbr claiming that the foam rings were the cause of the excess stanchion wear on Fox and to a lesser extent RS forks. If dry and filled with grit then maybe, but if properly maintained then utter drivel.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah. Years ago there were a bunch of wallys on mtbr claiming that the foam rings were the cause of the excess stanchion wear on Fox and to a lesser extent RS forks. If dry and filled with grit then maybe, but if properly maintained then utter drivel.
Was it around the Enduro Seals era which also ended up not being the best for stanchion wear?

Just have to accept that keeping forks clean and oil changes are a fact of life. Saying that, the SKF seals are pretty good.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
On my Rs forks with continuous bushings, I've been adding 1-2 Mls of oil into the lowers between bushings. Maintains small bump sensitivity for longer

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's a Reba I installed today, 2018 model brand new out of box. The lowers didn't have a single drop of oil in them and foam seals had seen oil but were essentially dry. All the lube that they had was grease on the outer seals.

SRAM quality control is a joke.

Attachments

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sram and fox can eat a bagful, they charge over $1k for brand new forks that come half arsed out the box. Not buying there stuff again, it’s a joke.

Anyone pulled apart dvo/mrp etc outtta the box and can comment on what they are like?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
+1 for Racing Bros seals.

-1 for Enduro seals ... last I heard they scrape your stanchions over time ... not sure if they have corrected this

OEM does the job well enough

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...The lowers didn't have a single drop of oil in them and foam seals had seen oil but were essentially dry...
A cynic might think they do it deliberately so that the stanchions wear out quicker and you buy a new fork...

Last edited: