Seeking buying advice for a progressing newbie

Hello All,
A quick intro. I have been lurking on RB for some time. In early 2019 I got back on the bike. A Rebel special I purchased 15 years ago because I knew a mate. That sparked the fire. Fast forward to Christmas 2019 and after gifting the missus a new bike I realised that I needed to make a purchase for myself. I tracked down a Giant Talon 2 and picked it up March 2020. During the pandemic I have clocked up 1000's of kms on trails/roads around the Dandenongs. It has served me well at Silvan, Buxton and Lysterfield, all multiple times. Last weekend I was at Mystic in Bright and tackled successfully Hero up and down. Good times on a less than entry level MTB, a XC hardtail, 2by and low end drivetrain. I need more. Not so short intro I guess.

So I am after some wisdom. I'm a early 40s dad that is not out to get hurt, 'cos family. But are in need of a much more capable bike.

My initial thoughts. Full sus' trail with decent shock and fork. I'm 195cm, so XL sizing is needed.
Two options I am looking at:
Canyon Neuron 7 - $3749 / FOX Float DPS Performance / FOX 34 Rythm / XT/SLX

Or
Canyon Spectral 5 - $3899 / FOX X Performance / FOX 36 Rhythm Grip / Deore

Both AL due to cost. The Spectral looks like it would allow we to progress further, a bit more capable. Also, the upgrade over time of the groupset as it wears is a consideration. I am hands on mechanically savvy, so a direct to consumer brand is within my skillset.

What are your thoughts? Am I off the mark? Based on budget and trails do you have an alternative I should consider?

LPG

likes thicc birds
What do you ride most? I would err towards the spectral imo as it is more versatile and will be more forgiving if you push yourself harder than you should. I don't know many melbourne trails but the Spectral is going to suit riding like Bright much more than the Neuron. It will probably lose out a bit on speed when climbing or flat/ undulating terrain where things aren't technical which doesn't sound to be your main concern

Flow-Rider

Burner
It will come down to personal choice, both are good bikes. One looks to be more focussed at trail riding, the other bike with more travel heading towards the harder trails. That spectral does seem to be on the rather heavy side though.

What do you ride most? I would err towards the spectral imo as it is more versatile and will be more forgiving if you push yourself harder than you should. I don't know many melbourne trails but the Spectral is going to suit riding like Bright much more than the Neuron. It will probably lose out a bit on speed when climbing or flat/ undulating terrain where things aren't technical which doesn't sound to be your main concern
Around home, fire access roads, moderate to very steep up and down. At the park blue to black single track. Appreciate the reply.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello All,
A quick intro. I have been lurking on RB for some time. In early 2019 I got back on the bike. A Rebel special I purchased 15 years ago because I knew a mate. That sparked the fire. Fast forward to Christmas 2019 and after gifting the missus a new bike I realised that I needed to make a purchase for myself. I tracked down a Giant Talon 2 and picked it up March 2020. During the pandemic I have clocked up 1000's of kms on trails/roads around the Dandenongs. It has served me well at Silvan, Buxton and Lysterfield, all multiple times. Last weekend I was at Mystic in Bright and tackled successfully Hero up and down. Good times on a less than entry level MTB, a XC hardtail, 2by and low end drivetrain. I need more. Not so short intro I guess.

So I am after some wisdom. I'm a early 40s dad that is not out to get hurt, 'cos family. But are in need of a much more capable bike.

My initial thoughts. Full sus' trail with decent shock and fork. I'm 195cm, so XL sizing is needed.
Two options I am looking at:
Canyon Neuron 7 - $3749 / FOX Float DPS Performance / FOX 34 Rythm / XT/SLX

Or
Canyon Spectral 5 - $3899 / FOX X Performance / FOX 36 Rhythm Grip / Deore

Both AL due to cost. The Spectral looks like it would allow we to progress further, a bit more capable. Also, the upgrade over time of the groupset as it wears is a consideration. I am hands on mechanically savvy, so a direct to consumer brand is within my skillset.

What are your thoughts? Am I off the mark? Based on budget and trails do you have an alternative I should consider?
Welcome mate,

Both look like decent bikes for the money, but yeah a little bit of weight in the Spectral. Even so it would be the bike I personally went for for east side Melbourne trails and would be the better bike for progressing on and taking into further afield areas like You Yangs, Harcourt and Bright.

When you say Silvan, do you know which trails specifically you have been riding?
I think the Spectral would be awesome through there if you are focusing on the downs and not so worried about the weight for the steep climbs, but the Neuron would be a ripper around Lysterfield. Neutron would also be my pick for other local trails such as Buxton, Lake Mountain and Hey Hey in Wesburn.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First off, at 1.95m tall you're in the right forum. :)

Welcome, and whilst I love longer travel bikes I'd recommend the Neuron.
I think you'd get on well on most trails with that bike. Yep, it'll require more care on some of the destination riding you mention, but in the majority of cases it'll be what you need.

If you need more, then a simple change of airshaft in the fork to add 10mm perhaps, more aggressive tyres and wider / shorter bars and stem will make the bike handle and ride differently.

Just my initial view. And it's presuming it will handle your weight. Some bikes come with rider / system limits and given you're tall you may be closer to that upper limit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Those bikes are very different...what sort of riding do you generally do? One is going to pedal a lot better than the other...the other is going to be a lot more fun and forgiving. It is also going to encourage you to ride harder and worry less about getting hurt.

Welcome mate,

Both look like decent bikes for the money, but yeah a little bit of weight in the Spectral. Even so it would be the bike I personally went for for east side Melbourne trails and would be the better bike for progressing on and taking into further afield areas like You Yangs, Harcourt and Bright.

When you say Silvan, do you know which trails specifically you have been riding?
I think the Spectral would be awesome through there if you are focusing on the downs and not so worried about the weight for the steep climbs, but the Neuron would be a ripper around Lysterfield. Neutron would also be my pick for other local trails such as Buxton, Lake Mountain and Hey Hey in Wesburn.
At Silvan, Temple of Zoom, Bakers Dozen, Magpie, Twisted Sister. I am taking the fire trails and paths from home to get there. So I am weighing up the geo impacting of the Spectral.

First off, at 1.95m tall you're in the right forum. :)

Welcome, and whilst I love longer travel bikes I'd recommend the Neuron.
I think you'd get on well on most trails with that bike. Yep, it'll require more care on some of the destination riding you mention, but in the majority of cases it'll be what you need.

If you need more, then a simple change of airshaft in the fork to add 10mm perhaps, more aggressive tyres and wider / shorter bars and stem will make the bike handle and ride differently.

Just my initial view. And it's presuming it will handle your weight. Some bikes come with rider / system limits and given you're tall you may be closer to that upper limit.
Cheers. Worth noting that I'm just over 100kg.

Those bikes are very different...what sort of riding do you generally do? One is going to pedal a lot better than the other...the other is going to be a lot more fun and forgiving. It is also going to encourage you to ride harder and worry less about getting hurt.
From what I can gather from thinking more about my riding after reading some posts, trail is where I am at. More all arounder, not aiming to prefer down over climbing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
From what I can gather from thinking more about my riding after reading some posts, trail is where I am at. More all arounder, not aiming to prefer down over climbing.
This forum is full of heart breakers...

That's fair. I hear you don't want to be pushing out endless kilometres on a tractor. There's probably a few bikes from other brands worth comparing with to see where the value lies parts wise before going balls deep with the canyon. Whom I might add have a good rep for value and warranty support.

This forum is full of heart breakers...

That's fair. I hear you don't want to be pushing out endless kilometres on a tractor. There's probably a few bikes from other brands worth comparing with to see where the value lies parts wise before going balls deep with the canyon. Whom I might add have a good rep for value and warranty support.
Happy to take any suggestion you have. I am not wedded to Canyon. The price/component stuck out of the crowd for me.