SCUM 30/60/90 December 12: Nowra

Love the trails

I was down at the Superbowl, Butterfly and Coondoo trails on the weekend. Can't wait for the race. The tracks are in pretty good shape, but the two that will be used for the race have a heap of leaf litter on them. They don't look like they have been getting much traffic.

I have uploaded a GPX file of the 33km course I put together linking the 3 tracks.

Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Will camping be allowed on site? And what sort of facilities will be available?

I'm in for the 90km, perfect way to recover from the birthday hangover I plan on getting.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Will camping be allowed on site? And what sort of facilities will be available?

I'm in for the 90km, perfect way to recover from the birthday hangover I plan on getting.
You can camp if you want. I would think a port-a-loo will be on site from the Sat, it was last year.

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
bargain

I've been out with the "Course Setting Person" and the course is shaping nicely. A few new trails, different start piont (Good access), 15km short option to go with 30k loop used for the 30/60/90 race, Butterfly and Superbowl all for $15 bucks entry:cool:

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
I hope to do the 60km as well but my wife and son are looking to use this as their maiden MTB "race", so may ride with them on the 15 or 30. Will be fun anyway and looking to pick some stuff at the boot sale.
matt

struggles

Likes Dirt
If it doesn't rain before the race it should be fine.

There will be some puddles on the firetrails, but the singletrack drains really well.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about bringing the Anthem down and doing the 30km singlespeed instead of the 60.

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
How are the tracks at Callala Beach holding up after all the rain?
Went out for a reccy this arvo and it all looking good. No dust to report. There are a few parts of the Forest we won't be using just because it's too wet, but for the most part it's really rocking.

Because it's been pretty variable weather the tracks have seen little use over the last month or so and they are a little more forest floor like than usual, but mostly all that is falling at the moment is the leaves and bark, which will clear quickly. Many won't recognise the forest, it is looking very green and alive. It's great to be out there.

Things to avoid:
sticks, dang trees keep growing them and throwing them away
mozzies, don't stop and they won't get you
overgrowth, I'd really suggest glasses, clear or whatever you prefer. There is so much new growth you will notice it.

If you are thinking of camping be aware of the mozzies mentioned above.

As is the norm for this event the trails will be 'as you find them'. While it will be clearly marked actual lines may not be as clear as normal. Obviously the later you start the clearer the track will be and I expect that the 90k'ers will find it quicker with each lap because of the additional traffic.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate,

First, how is the weather forecast looking - I had a squiz at a forecast for Nowra which was predicting consistent but light rain until race day

Second, I've never been down to the SCUM trails - I'm picturing Awaba but a little flatter - am I in for a shock?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

Second, I've never been down to the SCUM trails - I'm picturing Awaba but a little flatter - am I in for a shock?

Cheers,

-Andrew
Don't know Awaba but just picture, a lot of fun with no real soul destroying climbs. Some nice little pinches to get the heart rate going though.

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
Obviously a lot of people are keeping an eye on the weather for this weekend and so are we.

The weather forecast is improving in our favour and given the conditions out there after the rain on Monday, and the warm windy conditions I'm calling it a definite probability of all going to plan.

There will almost definitely be some rain on Thursday but we are confident at this point that the days after will take care of that on the track as it is.

Remember online entries close tomorrow night and if you want to do the 90k you need to enter online.

If you want to change your online entry category please email me at trails@scum.asn.au or changes can be made on the day. So if you are thinking of doing the 90 but aren't totally sure enter it online and you can change your mind on the day.

Not surprisingly the Mens 60k is now the largest category with the 90k not far behind. +40 and +50 categories are well supported too.

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know Awaba but just picture, a lot of fun with no real soul destroying climbs. Some nice little pinches to get the heart rate going though.
is it bumpy?

Hardtail friendly?

Rocky, loose, rooty, big drops, jumps?

Basically, my Dually is not in any fit state to be ridden, so I'm trying to sus out if I'll be fine on the hardtail or if I'd be wise to fix my dually.

Just for reference, I reckon Dargle Farm, Del Rio and Awaba are ok for a hardtail

-Andrew

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
is it bumpy?

Hardtail friendly?

Rocky, loose, rooty, big drops, jumps?

Basically, my Dually is not in any fit state to be ridden, so I'm trying to sus out if I'll be fine on the hardtail or if I'd be wise to fix my dually.

Just for reference, I reckon Dargle Farm, Del Rio and Awaba are ok for a hardtail

-Andrew
definitely hardtail friendly. Pretty much singlespeed friendly too.

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
let's talk nicely about the weather gods who are currently sharing their bounty with us mortals, and perhaps they will share their warmth with us tomorrow... and Saturday and all will be good...

struggles

Likes Dirt
50mm since 7.30am and doesn't look like stopping.

You better brush up on your sunshine prayers or track repairs:)

Last edited: