Russia Vs. America; Here we go again kids!

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
The stupidity of throwing active dissenters into an army which already has terrible morale problems and minimal ground level leadership is insane. Just increases the likelihood of another winter revolution. If Putin is still in charge / alive in 6 months I'd be surprised.
Not sure how this is supposed to work.
Why would the dissenters not just shoot their officers ? There is a history of this too in the Russian military.

The callup is obviously a reaction to the hawks demanding action but it has the huge downside of directly effecting the Russian population who have not really cared to date. Now they care. What happens next (internally in Russia) ?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The callup is obviously a reaction to the hawks demanding action but it has the huge downside of directly effecting the Russian population who have not really cared to date. Now they care. What happens next (internally in Russia) ?
Also shits on the narrative that this has been a "special military operation" and that everything is going brilliantly (if you believe Russian state media and state sponsored internet trolls). Mobilisation means they can't hide from the truth now but given the successful Ukrainian advances during September have pushed the Russians back to their border across the north they're likely totally desperate.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not sure how this is supposed to work.
Why would the dissenters not just shoot their officers ? There is a history of this too in the Russian military.

An armed militia of disgruntled youth storming the border and marching home to demand social and political change?

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
true. I read that commercial aircraft are emp-hardened to a certain degree to deal with weather events such as lightning strikes.
ahh that's cool. I don't know what the strength differences of an emp would be between lightening and a nuke so this is getting out of my area of speculative skills.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They were going to the front anyway. I expect Ukraine to be forming a fifth column division very soon.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
As grim as that option is, I suspect that it would be preferable to being made a public example of in a country with as perverse morals as Russia.

Where they could just drop their weapon and surrender to the Ukrainians. They'd likely be treated much more humanely.

How grand would that be - 300k people sent to ukraine, never to be heard of again. Perfect escape plan. Just keep sending people and equipment over for the Ukrainians lol.
I remember some of the Ukrainian social media in the early days, when Russia outstretched their supply lines...surrender to us, we will give you tea and food. You will be warm and safe.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I remember some of the Ukrainian social media in the early days, when Russia outstretched their supply lines...surrender to us, we will give you tea and food. You will be warm and safe.
Yep, this. Obviously theres always a danger you'd get shot in the face, but I suspect getting shot in teh face vs a gulag or some other form of inhumane treatment would be preferable. Bonus if it just ends up being a cuppa and a biccie instead.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep, this. Obviously theres always a danger you'd get shot in the face, but I suspect getting shot in teh face vs a gulag or some other form of inhumane treatment would be preferable. Bonus if it just ends up being a cuppa and a biccie instead.
I'd rather be shot in the face than shot in the dick.

I am assuming these people will face more of a mediaeval style death - torturous, agonising, slow, public, and messy. Or even worse their families may suffer (the traditional first threat held against conscripts - fight for us or we will kill your family and burn your village).

I don't think Putin would need to erect and fill many gibbets to dissuade this form of civil unrest.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Except for what the Russians do to your family members.

I expect this will simmer for a while before it blows up (in Russia) in a big way. Only shortcut would be if the generals top Putin first.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Even being tasked with rebuilding Ukrainian towns and villages would be preferable to Russian gulags.

That being said, having to look after and guard POWs takes up precious resources for the Ukrainians.