Russia Vs. America; Here we go again kids!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The difference is that the US and the UK have sea borders.

Seabourne contested invasions are difficult things, and in the last 1000 years the US and the Japanese are the only ones to have really pulled them off.

China really needs a different defence concept given their massive land borders. Killing their neighbours with kindness and using them as a buffer would probably work pretty well.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Not disagreeing that China’s current strategy sucks, and the BRI approach would have been much better. However, greed and chauvinism has caused much of that to falter, too. The Chinese leverage market access pretty well and I think that they are gradually learning from their missteps- the new office for natural disasters in the South Pacific (or whatever it’s called) is an example of that.

it’s an interesting exercise to try and think of any empire in history that has successfully expanded in a way to support its own interests, based on mutual benefit and kindness.

I would also note that there were many colonial powers in history that have launched successful amphibious ops. The Brits in China being just one of them. Then there was D-Day, Incheon landings in Korea, etc.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I would also note that there were many colonial powers in history that have launched successful amphibious ops. The Brits in China being just one of them. Then there was D-Day, Incheon landings in Korea, etc.
I'm not sure I would be comparing the boxers or the Mayans to the 5th Panzer Army.

I'm not a historian but I can think of a hell of a lot more amphibious failures than success.

The successes were the Spanish American war, Russo Japanese war; and the US and Japanese in WW2.

Failures are pretty much everything else going back to the Norman conquest. Including but not limited to: Spanish armada, Trafalgar, Crimean war, Gallipoli, Imjin War, Mongol invasion of Japan.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The US and its allies are already on their doorstep in any case, but China has totally pissed off the Philippines already, and probably too late for any deals now. There was an international court that ruled in favour of the Philippines for the EEZ (elusive economic zone) in 2016 which the chinese ignored. The US and China have both a lot to lose if they went to war, it would revert all the work China has done to get their people out of poverty and China was US's top trade partner for exports to the US in 2022. Smart move of china to build on the Spratly islands but an ecological disaster as well.

Last edited:

Oddjob

it’s an interesting exercise to try and think of any empire in history that has successfully expanded in a way to support its own interests, based on mutual benefit and kindness.
Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Lol, my knowledge of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth is at the "was there a Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth??" level.

I'll have to do some reading.

Oddjob

Lol, my knowledge of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth is at the "was there a Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth??" level.

I'll have to do some reading.
It took me a while to think of one but I did get there. I thought the Austro Hungarian empire sort of fits too, but the Hungarian revolution of 1848 was hardly peaceful.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

View attachment 400640
Wow, what an absolute clusterfuck.

Pretty sure someone could've told Putin that trying to effectively decapitate the leader of a ruthless mercenary group that has done the bulk of the fighting - and contributed the only notable "victory" in many months for your side was a really bad idea.

Also according to that article: if Russian troops want to cross into Mariupol or Crimea, they need to go through Rostov-on-Don. Soooo no reinforcements from Russia at a time when Ukraine is launching a major offensive.

So much schadenfreude.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Russia Military are trapped between Ukraine forces and Prig forces in Border towns. They cant protect Moscow. Ogliarchs and Russia Elite gave support to Prig.
its been months coming as Russian MOD wouldnt supply Prig. Shoigu is the head theyre after.
This is heavy.
World changes from this im certain.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow, what an absolute clusterfuck.

Pretty sure someone could've told Putin that trying to effectively decapitate the leader of a ruthless mercenary group that has done the bulk of the fighting - and contributed the only notable "victory" in many months for your side was a really bad idea.

Also according to that article: if Russian troops want to cross into Mariupol or Crimea, they need to go through Rostov-on-Don. Soooo no reinforcements from Russia at a time when Ukraine is launching a major offensive.

So much schadenfreude.
Prig won't block the war effort in Ros or Vorenezh, he wants to own it.

I wouldn't say that Wagner has done the bulk of the fighting either (maybe the bulk of the talking...).

Russia Military are trapped between Ukraine forces and Prig forces in Border towns. They cant protect Moscow. Ogliarchs and Russia Elite gave support to Prig.
its been months coming as Russian MOD wouldnt supply Prig. Shoigu is the head theyre after.
This is heavy.
World changes from this im certain.
It's role of Rosgvardia, the police and the FSB to protect Russia within it's borders, not the military.

I think when this pans out we will find out that the MoD were never starving Prig of resources, more so that he was faking it to claim a reason to usurp Shoigu and he was hording munitions and arms for this insurgency

ausdb

Being who he is
Prig won't block the war effort in Ros or Vorenezh, he wants to own it.

I wouldn't say that Wagner has done the bulk of the fighting either (maybe the bulk of the talking...).
Yes, a lot of talk but compared to the size of the front line and what he's been fighting for its nothing.
Another interesting one with a big mouth who doesn't bite his tongue is Igor Strelkov/Girkin of MH17 infamy.
You just wonder why mad Vlad doesn't get the message and f$ck off and destroy his own country.