Russia Vs. America; Here we go again kids!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The whole spying thing is ludicrous. The balloon was at the whim of the winds and weather and if the US or Canada or any other nation decided to use it for target practice. Surveillance has come a long way since the war to end all wars part one when balloons were reconnaissance devices.

I reckon it is more about getting into the heads of people. Wouldn't be surprised if there were several so called law makers who were fully aware of it before it even crossed the borders.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The thing I don't like about the CPP is that they're bringing up things that others countries done in the past, and the other countries themselves have learnt from and they wouldn't do it again in current day, as some type of retort for what the CPP can get try to get away with.
The funniest part is that it's also an implicit admission that they're guilty as accused.

for sure, but do we have to be America's bitch and follow them into stupid conflicts?
No, we do not.

I'm not sure that we've ever actually been their bitch, though. When it comes to China, we have some serious interests at stake independent of our relations with the US. The PRC is a pretty bad actor and we have to stand up for ourselves. Admittedly, the previous government did that with a ham fist. But stand up we must.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The whole spying thing is ludicrous. The balloon was at the whim of the winds and weather and if the US or Canada or any other nation decided to use it for target practice. Surveillance has come a long way since the war to end all wars part one when balloons were reconnaissance devices.

I reckon it is more about getting into the heads of people. Wouldn't be surprised if there were several so called law makers who were fully aware of it before it even crossed the borders.
Balloons are still used for collection by many countries. There is little doubt that this one was not a simple weather balloon. China shot one down over their own territory just a year or two ago.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The funniest part is that it's also an implicit admission that they're guilty as accused.

No, we do not.

I'm not sure that we've ever actually been their bitch, though. When it comes to China, we have some serious interests at stake independent of our relations with the US. The PRC is a pretty bad actor and we have to stand up for ourselves. Admittedly, the previous government did that with a ham fist. But stand up we must.
Wouldn't say the current lot are any less inclined to stand up for us, they're just a lot quieter about it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Balloons are still used for collection by many countries. There is little doubt that this one was not a simple weather balloon. China shot one down over their own territory just a year or two ago.
Pretty sure they're quite steerable too. Lots of winds going in different directions, so altitude adjustment gets you into different wind directions.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wouldn't say the current lot are any less inclined to stand up for us, they're just a lot quieter about it.
Agreed.

Pretty sure they're quite steerable too. Lots of winds going in different directions, so altitude adjustment gets you into different wind directions.
Correct. These balloons normally fly at a pretty high altitude and don't have much of a radar signature either.

safreek

So now that china is going to sell weapons to Russia, do we stop trading with them as soon as this happens.
Will we no longer try and flog off iron ore and coal to them or will we carry on supplies like pig iron bob until too late.
If you own a Chinese made car I think you had better start stocking up parts as we will have to stop trading with them.

OR WILL LABOR JUST CAVE (-:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
So now that china is going to sell weapons to Russia, do we stop trading with them as soon as this happens.
Will we no longer try and flog off iron ore and coal to them or will we carry on supplies like pig iron bob until too late.
If you own a Chinese made car I think you had better start stocking up parts as we will have to stop trading with them.

Most of the gulf states have been happy to trade with Russia for the last 12 months. India, Singapore and others have been processing their crude oil etc. It's impossible to shut Russia off from the entire world, they're too big. And if we shut ourselves off from China we'd be economically decimated in a month.

Also I haven't seen any news that says China is selling weapons, just diplomatic posturing. They probably will (Russia needs some kind of supply for all that artillery and rockets they spray indiscriminately at everything), but we'll never know about it.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Don't they make up about a 3rd of our current trade?
Would be very interesting (read: horrific) to see the economic, followed by social, outcomes if we just said "no more trade"

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's impossible to shut Russia off from the entire world, they're too big. And if we shut ourselves off from China we'd be economically decimated in a month..
I was going to say the same thing but I think we're prolonging the issues. See Japan has militarised islands between China and Japan, and the Philippines have an open book for the US troops to the renter. Things aren't looking good for the future between Australia and China, no matter how you look at it. Maybe if Jinping gets fucked off things might change.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was going to say the same thing but I think we're prolonging the issues. See Japan has militarised islands between China and Japan, and the Philippines have an open book for the US troops to the renter. Things aren't looking good for the future between Australia and China, no matter how you look at it. Maybe if Jinping gets fucked off things might change.
But from a purely Australian perspective, what exactly is the issue that we are worried about?
I assume that it's China ceasing all trade with us, but they love buying our resources and selling us cheap crap, so why would they do something that hurts themselves as much as us?
They want more dominance in the region? Ok great. Do we really care? It may have an effect on other trade deals we have in the region, but that's literally what diplomacy is meant to be all about (pity we've wasted about 20 years of it).
Blocking of trade routes? Possible, but to what end? We can feed ourselves, it wuld likely just jumpstart local production which cuts into their trade, and we're so big that there's just too many sea-lanes to cover (cost would go up astronomically for us though).
We're not a military threat to them (except as a tiny piece of a potential US issue) and they aren't a threat to us (except for all the US bases we're allowing)

Flow-Rider

Burner
But from a purely Australian perspective, what exactly is the issue that we are worried about?
I assume that it's China ceasing all trade with us, but they love buying our resources and selling us cheap crap, so why would they do something that hurts themselves as much as us?
They want more dominance in the region? Ok great. Do we really care? It may have an effect on other trade deals we have in the region, but that's literally what diplomacy is meant to be all about (pity we've wasted about 20 years of it).
Blocking of trade routes? Possible, but to what end? We can feed ourselves, it wuld likely just jumpstart local production which cuts into their trade, and we're so big that there's just too many sea-lanes to cover (cost would go up astronomically for us though).
We're not a military threat to them (except as a tiny piece of a potential US issue) and they aren't a threat to us (except for all the US bases we're allowing)
If there's a conflict between any Commonwealth nation or the US and China, how's it going to look if we keep on supplying materials to them, is Australia going to step in, when they continue to bully nations in the south china sea? It's just a matter of time before something will escalate in the south china sea. The problem we have exporting anything to other nations that will pay decent money for it is the distance and transport costs.