Rums

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've never tried a fancy rum, I have the intrigue now.
How is this intrigue working out for you there @steve jobs' pancreas ?

Finished up and decided to treat myself before heading home. I have just had a Don Papa (7 year version) and...wow! It is a really awesome rum. It has a lot of aroma and flavour that evolves continually, with a consistent note of vanilla. A sweet and luscious rum that delivers what spirit drinkers look for.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I'm working my way through a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva. Can get it for around $90 something on sale.

I think I prefer this over Ron Zacapa, its a touch sweeter.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Both are great rum. The diplomatico is my go to recommendation these days. So delicious! I haven't had anything from them that isn't great.

MasterOfReality

After forever
That Goslings one sounds great!

Not rum but I do like Milton Rum Distillery's spiced cane spirit which is like xmas cake. Actually that place is great to go in and try a few different rums. They have an awesome international selection.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm working my way through a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva. Can get it for around $90 something on sale.

I think I prefer this over Ron Zacapa, its a touch sweeter.
Both are great rum. The diplomatico is my go to recommendation these days. So delicious! I haven't had anything from them that isn't great.
Had a Dan Murphys gift car sitting around so just ordered this to give it a shot!

Not really much of a spirit drinker - you guys enjoy this with a bit of ice?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The black seal is all things fruit cake with a molasses hit.
the black seal is a nice rum, I found the finish a bit weird though. It's like I was tasting the nice flavours, and instead of a nice lingering fruit/molasses finish, the sweetness just stopped, and there was an aftertaste I couldn't quite identify. a dryish feeling on the tongue. Almost as if someone had put a drop of bong water in my mouth, prob not as bad as that, but it tasted a bit yuck at the time. never had that with other rums. YMMV. maybe it was that suphur tinge that molasses from the jar has, to me.

The last rum I bought was beenleigh double cask 5yr old. Good bang for the buck. a couple of bottles of that sipped slowly helped get me through the lockdowns last year.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well...I have all this time on my hands and have filled one of it with some work related experiments. One of the rums I use a bit of is Baron Samedi, who happened to be on sale recently. I decided I'd try and make some coconut rum. I took the easy approach first round and just poured the Baron over a lot of dedicated coconut and left it for a few weeks. I have just filtered it off.

Firstly the colour is massively different to what went in! Baron Samedi is quite a dark rum, but it is now beautiful light golden colour. The rum has a very pleasant coconut aroma. While it has a nice coconut taste to it, the intensity that I had hoped to achieve is not there. I am hoping to develop a natural product (rather than essences) that has a really strong coconut punch. So any suggestions are welcomed? I will likely try again but with more coconut.

I have kept the coconut. It is a rich golden colour and has no real coconut taste left in it, but a slight hint of rum. If I could be bothered I think it would be a great addition to a coconut pineapple cake.

ForkinGreat

Well...I have all this time on my hands and have filled one of it with some work related experiments. One of the rums I use a bit of is Baron Samedi, who happened to be on sale recently. I decided I'd try and make some coconut rum. I took the easy approach first round and just poured the Baron over a lot of dedicated coconut and left it for a few weeks. I have just filtered it off.

Firstly the colour is massively different to what went in! Baron Samedi is quite a dark rum, but it is now beautiful light golden colour. The rum has a very pleasant coconut aroma. While it has a nice coconut taste to it, the intensity that I had hoped to achieve is not there. I am hoping to develop a natural product (rather than essences) that has a really strong coconut punch. So any suggestions are welcomed? I will likely try again but with more coconut.

View attachment 380591

I have kept the coconut. It is a rich golden colour and has no real coconut taste left in it, but a slight hint of rum. If I could be bothered I think it would be a great addition to a coconut pineapple cake.
dessicated coconut is dry AF and doesn't really taste of coconut as much as it could.

I suggest trying again, but with coconut flakes. a couple of drops of coconut oil would help too, IMO. the oil generally liquifies in warm to hot weather, but you could get a little and melt it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
dessicated coconut is dry AF and doesn't really taste of coconut as much as it could.

I suggest trying again, but with coconut flakes. a couple of drops of coconut oil would help too, IMO. the oil generally liquifies in warm to hot weather, but you could get a little and melt it.
Flakes might be a good idea. I looked at the bag I used, it was grated not dedicated but still not as lush as fresh coconut. Hopefully I don't need to get one of those! Might skip the oil for now. Not confident in texture.

ForkinGreat

There is also that horrid shit Malibu, that tastes like I imagine coconut sun tan lotion would.
TBH, I think any naturally derived coconut flavour is going to be on the subtle side.