Rotorburn strava

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
To all you premium Strava bunnies.

Edit: New prices per country.

View attachment 396168
I only found out about this price rise through the furor around how it was communicated. I actually had to go digging to find out what my old my old price was compared to the new. Pretty sure I've not been hit with such a poorly communicated price rise before.

That said, all this stink about how badly it's been communicated and the DC Rainmaker article did make me think about the value I'm getting from it, which is hard to justify these days. Chalk one up to the cancellations.

I went for my first mountain bike ride just for me in a long-time last weekend, it was amazing to get out and just ride on the mountain again. Time to get back to the joy of the riding and away from all the metrics. This can only help.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I went for my first mountain bike ride just for me in a long-time last weekend, it was amazing to get out and just ride on the mountain again. Time to get back to the joy of the riding and away from all the metrics. This can only help.
I stepped away from using a Garmin/GPS unit for regular rides in about 2019. I still 'Strava' all my rides but I dont have numbers counting up in front of me. It gets started and runs in my pocket, when I get home at some stage, I'll stop it... sometimes that's been the next day.

Its good to keep a record of rides to compare one year to the next and log the totals.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I stepped away from using a Garmin/GPS unit for regular rides in about 2019. I still 'Strava' all my rides but I dont have numbers counting up in front of me. It gets started and runs in my pocket, when I get home at some stage, I'll stop it... sometimes that's been the next day.

Its good to keep a record of rides to compare one year to the next and log the totals.
I'm pretty much the same. I strava almost all my rides but it's really just to keep a log of what I have done. It also comes in handy when someone asks for a good loop to ride, I can go back to a previous ride and give them the distance and elevation.
I do like to see where my friends are riding as well.
Never been a paid subscriber and I don't think I ever will.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'm pretty much the same. I strava almost all my rides but it's really just to keep a log of what I have done. It also comes in handy when someone asks for a good loop to ride, I can go back to a previous ride and give them the distance and elevation.
I do like to see where my friends are riding as well.
Never been a paid subscriber and I don't think I ever will.
+1 to that. I do enjoy seeing others rides, and keep track of my totals. After a ride I do sometimes like to sit back and look at the high level view of where it went with a beer sometimes too.

I did find some of the fitness and effort stuff interesting, but none of that was really assisting me in any way or adding to the experience. It definitely wasn't adding to the enjoyment of the ride I found.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Strava lives in my pocket now. I like it as a gauge of fitness, even at the start of the month I was struggling to do 800vm in a ride (after too much cake), and now comfortably doing 1200vm on back to back rides.
Still a day to go, might even crack 12k this month.
Screenshot_20230130-125359.png

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have never found 90% of the functions useful for MTB. I Don't mind a PB or cracking onto the top 10, but reality is conditions and trails change to much to even compare my own efforts.
Different story for road riding particularly climbing or non tech XC climbs, and can get a good indication of current fitness.

Main thing I still use it for is tracking bike/component use and after the fact stats like distance/elevation, and do love seeing where everyone is riding.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I Don't mind a PB or cracking onto the top 10, but reality is conditions and trails change to much to even compare my own efforts.
You mean I might not actually be the fastest in my riding group on some of those segments because of the inaccuracies and changes in trail conditions? I'm cancelling my paid sub right now, I didn't sign up for that! ;)

I'd be happy to pay something for what the free version offers, but there is a culture of "everything must have a free version" nowadays.

ozzybmx

I'd be happy to pay something for what the free version offers, but there is a culture of "everything must have a free version" nowadays.
It's not really free, Strava is using the data of the 95% unsubscibers to populate their database and leaderboards. We get a basic platform in exchange for our data.

I paid from 2012 till 2019 and only use it now to log my rides.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Yup, I've never been a paid subscriber either, but it's great for ride tracking & total KM, etc.

Where I get the most use out of it is with a little tie in program called ProBikeGarage. Seriously, look it up if you're a gear nerd of extreme proportions.

For instance, I can tell you that on my main bike my chain is at 2660km and still not 0.5 stretch, my Bike Yoke Revive has done 3063km (serviced myself roughly every 1000km) and that my last set of pads (SRAM Guide Metallic) lasted me 2370km of riding before they hit the backing, compared to the last Organic set before that which only went 612km. Sure, I think a wet 5 days at Maydena had a lot to do with that, but you know, gear nerds are gear nerds!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yup, I've never been a paid subscriber either, but it's great for ride tracking & total KM, etc.

Where I get the most use out of it is with a little tie in program called ProBikeGarage. Seriously, look it up if you're a gear nerd of extreme proportions.

For instance, I can tell you that on my main bike my chain is at 2660km and still not 0.5 stretch, my Bike Yoke Revive has done 3063km (serviced myself roughly every 1000km) and that my last set of pads (SRAM Guide Metallic) lasted me 2370km of riding before they hit the backing, compared to the last Organic set before that which only went 612km. Sure, I think a wet 5 days at Maydena had a lot to do with that, but you know, gear nerds are gear nerds!
That's pretty cool. I was tracking some of my gear on the Strava app but got a bit slack with keeping it up to date.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
ProBikeGarage is cool, bummer that it hasn't been updated in ages.

Another issue I have with it is that it only refers to the bike used on the ride logged in Strava - often I'll ride with my 2 boys and I wish I could track use on their bikes too (they don't use Strava).

These limitations got me tempted to build an equivalent system... I built half of it then got lazy :)

ozzybmx

Another issue I have with it is that it only refers to the bike used on the ride logged in Strava - often I'll ride with my 2 boys and I wish I could track use on their bikes too (they don't use Strava).
When my boys were at a young age, I made them an email address each with gmail, which they still use as their primary account.

Some time after I made them a Strava account with the same email account and each time they went riding, I sent an invite to say they were with me but didnt record. Occasionally I logged on to their accounts and accepted the invites.

Then they got smart phones and got their own Strava apps, then they logged their own.

#2 son went riding with me yesterday for the first time in 4 months and I've sent an invite to say he was with me... I told him but he probably hasn't even logged on to accept but it doesn't matter now he's a beachbum.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
ProBikeGarage is cool, bummer that it hasn't been updated in ages.

These limitations got me tempted to build an equivalent system... I built half of it then got lazy :)
Yeah, it has its limitations, but for a few app it's hard to complain too much.

The grouping of components and ride tagging feature is really cool too, means you can "build a wheel set" in the app, install that set, then tag it as a commute, race, or whatever, and the app then only logs the components on that tag, while not racking up KM on the other wheel set.

Great for split commuting duties!

ozzybmx

Strava CEO resigns (for the second time), 15% of the workforce laid off and a clean out of the Executives.

Horvath started Strava in 2009 but left in 2013, came back in 2019 as CEO and cut off all the leaderboards to non paying contributors etc.

2023 bumps the price up without telling members and starts a mass exodus of paying members.

Trouble ahead. I would expect tiered membership of some sort... otherwords pay for the options you want, if any.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Strava CEO resigns (for the second time), 15% of the workforce laid off and a clean out of the Executives.

Horvath started Strava in 2009 but left in 2013, came back in 2019 as CEO and cut off all the leaderboards to non paying contributors etc.

2023 bumps the price up without telling members and starts a mass exodus of paying members.

Trouble ahead. I would expect tiered membership of some sort... otherwords pay for the options you want, if any.

I remember that tiered style a few years ago, I think... Still didn't make me pay for it as I really still only use it for componenet logging and shits and giggles.

ozzybmx

At this point they are probably better off having ads.
Subscribers won't want to see ads.

Sounds like a lot of employees had great technical and feature improvements over the years, just to be dismissed by the know-it-all founder and CEO, Hovarth... noob has nearly trashed the company with 100 million menbers

Strava needs to learn to listen to the new blood employees it hires. One common thread I’ve heard from existing and former Strava employees over the last few weeks, is that many times suggestions for improvements in recent years are dismissed by the ‘old guard’. Be it technical/feature suggestions, communications suggestions, or policy suggestions. Perhaps this changing of the guard will open the doors a bit more to that.
I remember that tiered style a few years ago, I think... Still didn't make me pay for it as I really still only use it for componenet logging and shits and giggles.
As Rainmaker says, the free product it too good.

It relies on us for our data but it suits 95% of people and the premium pay options are free on other platforms like Garmin Connect etc

Big decisions ahead, though you would wonder if they just got greedy thing to make it grow and make people pay for stuff they don't need.