Rotorburn staff - moderators of the site

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Holy shit! I just looked in the mirror and discovered that I'm loosing a bit of hair off the top. Not only this, but there was a few greys in what is left. At first I thought it was just the way the light was hitting me, I am not normally in the bathroom this time of day. But then I remembered...fucking Johnny strikes again! You bastard.
This doesn't even make sense now either because the post where I was blamed for the dwindling confidence in democracy and optimism has been edited out.

But I have no doubt it's my dark shadow on existence that leads people toward dishonesty!! lol!

redbruce

Eats Squid
We know we are inconsistent in the way we run the forum. Just as the law is inconsistent in the way it is applied to society, the way policy is applied by pollies and the way the wind blows across the sky. Welcome to the reality of life. We aren't pricks here, we rarely power trip and ban people because we can (you're still here, aren't you? Likewise is Mitchy after we locked horns where you've linked) and we very rarely even lock threads. Every now and then we'll pull people in to line and hopefully that will pass a message on to other users as well. We prefer this place to remain relaxed and lighthearted and we also want to enjoy our own time here as well. Sometimes we err in the way we do things, as I'm sure everyone does in the way everyone does things. Can't change that.

Where I do feel that editing posts well after the fact is out of line is that it can leave a person unaccountable for their actions. If other people's responses to what you post remain in place then what you have done to elicit that response should also remain in place. You complain that my revealing of your complaint/post report undermined confidence in the system. Then you edit your posts after the fact undermining our ability to hold you accountable for what you've said and any confidence in future discussions with you - especially those of a serious nature. Editing like that makes you look sneaky and untrustworthy. No one can have a serious conversation with you without fearing that you will go back and edit your posts to alter the reality post-fact.
Accept it all. I don't really have an issue with mods (given acceptance of a particular forums culture).

I have had a different perspective on editing posts up until now and accept the perspective of "record" and flow on responses (from that perspective) as opposed to finite accurate personal representation, is important.

However, the lack of transparency in appointment and unacountability of a mod (relative to the rules we sign up for) still seems no better.

Holy shit! I just looked in the mirror and discovered that I'm loosing a bit of hair off the top. Not only this, but there was a few greys in what is left. At first I thought it was just the way the light was hitting me, I am not normally in the bathroom this time of day. But then I remembered...fucking Johnny strikes again! You bastard.
This doesn't even make sense now either because the post where I was blamed for the dwindling confidence in democracy and optimism has been edited out.

But I have no doubt it's my dark shadow on existence that leads people toward dishonesty!! lol!
Forum democracy (maybe more culture) in action.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
acceptance of a particular forums culture).

lack of transparency in appointment and unacountability of a mod (relative to the rules we sign up for)
I think it may assist you if you assimilate point two above in to point one a little more.

It's only an internet forum, nothing overly important happens here (although we do take the for sale section seriously) and I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves. I mean your gripe isn't even about anything that's been done to you. You're just concerned that there isn't complete consistency in the way the rules are applied. My response to that is internet forumry isn't a serious enough matter to require the effort your suggesting and it certainly couldn't be provided by a couple of volunteers like us. To get that we'd have to be paid for the time it would require and that means you would have to pay for your usage of the forum. That obviously won't happen so we have to take what we can get and that is imperfection and inconsistency. Given that it's only an internet forum, I don't see that's a hard thing to accept and deal with.

In regards to the rules you sign up to, it's the same as the law, politics, nature, whatever. Note the formalised rules but better to be fully across the unspoken convention that everyone else lives by because they're the realities that you'll actually be dealing with.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I think it may assist you if you assimilate point two above in to point one a little more.

It's only an internet forum, nothing overly important happens here (although we do take the for sale section seriously) and I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves. I mean your gripe isn't even about anything that's been done to you. You're just concerned that there isn't complete consistency in the way the rules are applied. My response to that is internet forumry isn't a serious enough matter to require the effort your suggesting and it certainly couldn't be provided by a couple of volunteers like us. To get that we'd have to be paid for the time it would require and that means you would have to pay for your usage of the forum. That obviously won't happen so we have to take what we can get and that is imperfection and inconsistency. Given that it's only an internet forum, I don't see that's a hard thing to accept and deal with.

In regards to the rules you sign up to, it's the same as the I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves. Note the formalised rules but better to be fully across the unspoken convention that everyone else lives by because they're the realities that you'll actually be dealing with.
Your are right, its nothing about "what has been done to me", not even interested. However it is about principle and leadership.

Let's unpack this.

I don't have a beef with the challenges associated with community volunteer roles, indeed, I'm sympathetic (also a very active and passionate Scout Leader, and involved with community sports programs, both with a focus on development of our youth), however we have (apparently) established "rules". They either are, or they aren't. So, you are stating (as a Mod) that the rules, are in fact, guidelines. If so then change the title because "rules" have a legal definition, and then we know where we stand. If not, act on them!

Its "only an internet (but none the less, public) forum. I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves", really, even a listed company has governance procedures (along with Govt). So you should not be held accountable in any way? The corporate world is under intensive review and critique at present because its not delivering, despite corporate spin, maybe Rotorburn following the same line?

Not a serious enough matter to require "effort". Then why did you accept the role.

So, what are your principles, your standards, your moral and ethical compass points?

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We're delving back in to the realm of the ridiculous again.

however we have established "rules", that it would appear, are are in fact, guidelines. Change the title because "rules" have a legal definition, and then we know where we stand.

I refer you to my previous post about taking a more relaxed view of internet forumry. Just take a step back and look how serious you're being about something so insignificant!

Its "only an internet (but none the less, public) forum. I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves", really, even a listed company has governance procedures (along with Govt). So you should not be held accountable in any way? The corporate world is under intensive review and critique at present because its not delivering, despite corporate spin, maybe iRotorburn following the same line?

You've got to be kidding me... Listed companies are legal entities where significant amounts of wealth and people's livelihoods are involved. Govts manage millions of people commit war and monopolise power and can legally kill. Yeah, they have rules and measures of accountability.

This is a free internet forum where participation is free and voluntary and all workers are volunteers. If you think that compares to listed companies and govts then this conversation is over because you are detached from even basic realities.

Not a serious enough matter to require "effort". Then why did you accept the role.

Yeah, ok, now you're even misquoting me altogether to try and support your position. I very clearly said "internet forumry isn't a serious enough matter to require the effort your suggesting", not that it didn't require any effort at all.

OK, this is getting back to complete stupidity again and you're leading that charge on your own, Jack.

Thanks for the chat,

Cheers.

redbruce

Eats Squid
We're delving back in to the realm of the ridiculous again.

however we have established "rules", that it would appear, are are in fact, guidelines. Change the title because "rules" have a legal definition, and then we know where we stand.

I refer you to my previous post about taking a more relaxed view of internet forumry. Just take a step back and look how serious you're being about something so insignificant!

Its "only an internet (but none the less, public) forum. I'm not sure users of the forum really need to have a look in or vote on how mods are appointed and conduct themselves", really, even a listed company has governance procedures (along with Govt). So you should not be held accountable in any way? The corporate world is under intensive review and critique at present because its not delivering, despite corporate spin, maybe iRotorburn following the same line?

You've got to be kidding me... Listed companies are legal entities where significant amounts of wealth and people's livelihoods are involved. Govts manage millions of people commit war and monopolise power and can legally kill. Yeah, they have rules and measures of accountability.

This is a free internet forum where participation is free and voluntary and all workers are volunteers. If you think that compares to listed companies and govts then this conversation is over because you are detached from even basic realities.

Yeah, ok, now you're even misquoting me altogether to try and support your position. I very clearly said "internet forumry isn't a serious enough matter to require the effort your suggesting", not that it didn't require any effort at all.

OK, this is getting back to complete stupidity again and you're leading that charge on your own, Jack.

Thanks for the chat,

Cheers.
It seems I'm clearly the odd one out. Not sure what I did or realistically should have expected from this.

Forgive me for expecting a tactical, let alone strategic discussion from someone with your educational, professional, let alone life experience background. None the less your view/perspective is your right.

I think the so called mis quote you refer to is: "My response to that is internet forumry isn't a serious enough matter to require the effort your suggesting and it certainly couldn't be provided by a couple of volunteers like us."

In absolute terms, maybe. From a personal value/principle perspective, well, no (you don't seriously believe and live that do you?).

"Stupidity", I note the sentiment and offer my apology for wasting your (and followers - albeit their choice) time. Then again, we all have the choice to engage, or not.

EDIT: I was going to put this in as a post but decided against on the basis of potentially stirring it all up again. So, yeah even I accept this is inappropriate and a nonsense. Please Disregard. My dogged pursuit of the matter has been misguided and lacking judgement. To Johnny, my sincere apology. I will now take myself off to forum purgatory for a while. - redbruce

Last edited:

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Tactical and strategic discussion? The fuck is this, internet war games?

Or have you just made a slight error in an attempt to come across as intelligent?

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
So it seems, perhaps even more so, do you.
Ah, and that proves it.

A simple "I know you are, but what am I" response dolled up to try and look like an intelligent retort.

Do you type your responses up in word and then hit the thesaurus button a dozen times?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Ah, and that proves it.

A simple "I know you are, but what am I" response dolled up to try and look like an intelligent retort.

Do you type your responses up in word and then hit the thesaurus button a dozen times?
Proves, what, apart from, "what am I" has been used in an Aldi coffee ad?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When did Moorey get fat? And who let him stand front right of the pic? Poor form.

As for the conversation going on, I would like to add:

- poo poo = caca

But I'm not sure how to spell it.