Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Probably 100K cheaper than the Aussie equivalent.

We are a country of good deals, the normal person doesn't care about where it comes from.

Food absolutely yes, other products not so much when buying Aussie usually means you are buying a Chi product with an Aussie mark up.
I wasn't having a go at them, Cummins engine, Allison transmission, Eaton axles and airbag suspension. Never been in one and they are probably brilliant, they look good but that name covers almost the whole arse of the bus and I sat behind one then between them for about 10km while they passed the left lane sloths. Sorry coach. My BIL would be pissed at me calling them buses.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I wasn't having a go at them, Cummins engine, Allison transmission, Eaton axles and airbag suspension.
Me neither.

People are looking for a good deal and Aussies are a hard market.

The wide spread here of Chi utes and vans speaks volumes.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Chinese buses are the only decent ones available I think if you want electric. Few of those turning up.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Chinese buses are the only decent ones available I think if you want electric. Few of those turning up.
Volvo disagrees:
New Volvo BZL electric chassis

Instead of going with the hub-motor drives of typical Chinese buses - Volvo have utilised a parallel twin-motor arrangement through a 2-speed automated manual gearbox with conventional diff (reverse is done electrically by spinning the motors backwards when required). 2-speed box gives a increased speed range, better efficiency across the speed range, and (probably) more compliant suspension. One's currently in Perth with a second to follow shortly, more coming throughout next year. It's also features a locally built body (by Volgren, a separate company to Volvo despite the similarity in names).

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Volvo disagrees:
New Volvo BZL electric chassis

Instead of going with the hub-motor drives of typical Chinese buses - Volvo have utilised a parallel twin-motor arrangement through a 2-speed automated manual gearbox with conventional diff (reverse is done electrically by spinning the motors backwards when required). 2-speed box gives a increased speed range, better efficiency across the speed range, and (probably) more compliant suspension. One's currently in Perth with a second to follow shortly, more coming throughout next year. It's also features a locally built body (by Volgren, a separate company to Volvo despite the similarity in names).
There you go, good to see.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There you go, good to see.
TBH, there's more Euros coming next year(ish) as well. Merc have already announced theirs.

No doubt they'll be more expensive than a Chinese bus, but there's something to be said for manufacturers with experience in maintaining spare parts availability for a 20 year product lifecycle.

DuncanJenkins

Likes Bikes
TBH, there's more Euros coming next year(ish) as well. Merc have already announced theirs.

No doubt they'll be more expensive than a Chinese bus, but there's something to be said for manufacturers with experience in maintaining spare parts availability for a 20 year product lifecycle.
Maybe we should buy buses from Russia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuncanJenkins

Likes Bikes
Pass. My uncle bought a Belarus tractor years ago. 1/2 the price of a John Deere, after 6 months the engine sounded like rocks tumbling around in tin cairns.
Are you sure there wasn't a smaller engine inside that engine?

DuncanJenkins

Likes Bikes
Curiosity got the best of me and it looks like the base models have fixed steering length and need a steering column component and headrest upgrade, the X only needs a headrest upgrade as it has a different column which includes adjustable reach steering.

A bit weird having some models without reach adjust steering and one with isn't it?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Curiosity got the best of me and it looks like the base models have fixed steering length and need a steering column component and headrest upgrade, the X only needs a headrest upgrade as it has a different column which includes adjustable reach steering.

A bit weird having some models without reach adjust steering and one with isn't it?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Part of early Kyoto treaty negotiations had the west offering to help reduce bus diesel emissions in China.

I knew an engineer who was on a team sent to scope the enormity of the task. One thing they discovered was the drivers unwillingness to hold the starter engaged for more then a second, for fear of the starter motor burning out and being docked 2 months pay. They contemplated a sensor in the seat to automate starting.

Emissions were on par with a ww2 tank…..running on contaminated diesel…….with one cylinder failing to fire.