Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really need to know what you want out of the car? What ute it is and what was the standard size?

I only ever wanted the best off-road performance for my off-road vehicles, so usually went for the biggest most balloony tyre I could fit under the thing.

moorey

call me Mia
I swapped from 245/70/17 to 265/65/17. Just gave me a little bit more width without changing height.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Much better options that ATs now. I went to the new AT and the damn things went hard just like the old design at about half wear. Hankook Dynapro is what I would fit for more serious stuff, the Scorpian ATR Plus are good for tarmac, gravel and sand though useless in mud or nasty rocky stuff.
My BFG ATs have done their turn to plastic thing at half wear ... dicey in the wet. I looked around recently for options, including the Hankook Dynapro, which I recently got on my work hilux, but there's few options (BFG, Cooper, Mickeys etc.) in my size 265/65/18 that are an LT casing. No Dynapro that size in LT.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
There ya go! Haven’t run at’s since they changed the design. Definitely scratched them off the list now.

moorey

call me Mia
My BFG ATs have done their turn to plastic thing at half wear ... dicey in the wet. I looked around recently for options, including the Hankook Dynapro, which I recently got on my work hilux, but there's few options (BFG, Cooper, Mickeys etc.) in my size 265/65/18 that are an LT casing. No Dynapro that size in LT.
Yeah, BFG AT's should be called NT's.

I took a gamble on some cheaper brand muds (Razor) that aren't too aggressive. They've been great on the road, but certainly not a serious offroad tyre. Only about $220 a corner, so I'll see how they wear.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
There ya go! Haven’t run at’s since they changed the design. Definitely scratched them off the list now.
The BFGs have a nice level of 'aggressiveness' in the tread pattern for my use but, yeah, poor after 35/40k kilometres.

I don't need the ST Maxx on this car, but rated them on my FJ, so am left with the more boring ATs in the light truck casing. Nothing I'm really interested in TBH.

Minlak

custom titis
Thanks for replies -I don't serious off road at all - have never really run on sand but may go to Frazer one day - Tow a camper trailer (well will again when I get new one) - Will most likely fit the Toyo Open Country AT's again. Currently have 260/60/R18 Goodyear Kevlar cost 1.1 million each fitted. Good point bought up on ride today 16 may not fit as the spare is a steel not alloy - Alloy may not clear the caliper so prob safer going 17

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Good point bought up on ride today 16 may not fit as the spare is a steel not alloy - Alloy may not clear the caliper so prob safer going 17
That's likely, but no doubt the wheel shop will be happy to test fit some alloys for you. 16s will be cheaper to buy tyres for than 17s or 18s (less rubber = more $ for some reason).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So what do people think 17 with the 65 profile or 16 with the 70 profile ( I could probably go 75 profile if I went 16 too but would mean knew spare to match diameter.
The most common size is 265/65/17, these are on Prados, Pajeros, Navaras, Hiluxs... basically nearly every mid sized 4WD and Ute.

I have run the 70 aspect tyres on 2 Prados over the stock 65 as it's about 25mm higher and corrects the speedo. Missus got the last Prado and still drives it, went back to 65 aspect as they were on a special deal a few months back.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My BFG ATs have done their turn to plastic thing at half wear ... dicey in the wet. I looked around recently for options, including the Hankook Dynapro, which I recently got on my work hilux, but there's few options (BFG, Cooper, Mickeys etc.)
Mine too, they are a shit overpriced tyre. Been a MT fan for many years, had a couple of sets of the ATZ P3s and they were awesome but I don't really need the aggressive pattern any more. Might try MT Deegan 38 or Cooper AT3 XLT next... which is when I get time to look. My BFGs have 60,000km on them and are deadly with about 10mm wear left.

Minlak

custom titis
I notice that the market is getting more and more like the front ends of the big utes / trucks of American ilk - the big fords and dodges etc - the new landcruiser is squared off too

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for replies -I don't serious off road at all - have never really run on sand but may go to Frazer one day - Tow a camper trailer (well will again when I get new one) - Will most likely fit the Toyo Open Country AT's again. Currently have 260/60/R18 Goodyear Kevlar cost 1.1 million each fitted. Good point bought up on ride today 16 may not fit as the spare is a steel not alloy - Alloy may not clear the caliper so prob safer going 17
You'll be shot mentioning something like that around here:D, I run desert duellers and they work quite well as all rounders.