Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I am a tradie but I don't do regular tradie work where I need a ute.

Your vehicle is your daily driver, your work transport, tool carrier, bike carting wagon, caravan/camper tow vehicle and doubles up as a 4WD for those trips away.

Unless you want to pay 2 regos, 2 insurances and have another vehicle sitting in the driveway doing nothing, you get a practical vehicle that services both work and play.

A dual cab 4WD ute is definitely the way to go.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I asked my boss last year that a small truck would be useful, fit it out with a small Hiab or similar...he frowned at the idea
too hard to park, cost more in rego, shit resale as the market is much smaller for a LT, and utes are much easier to get a hold of spares and repairs
Vans are shit...noisy rattly tin cans, it is great to have more space, but this just becomes a burden as you tend to fill it up with shit you don't need just to use the left over room.
I have seen so many tradies that run vans, and if those were also classed as work sites, the unions would shut that shit down pronto, some cnut's gonna get killed in there!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I asked my boss last year that a small truck would be useful, fit it out with a small Hiab or similar...he frowned at the idea
too hard to park, cost more in rego, shit resale as the market is much smaller for a LT, and utes are much easier to get a hold of spares and repairs
Vans are shit...noisy rattly tin cans, it is great to have more space, but this just becomes a burden as you tend to fill it up with shit you don't need just to use the left over room.
I have seen so many tradies that run vans, and if those were also classed as work sites, the unions would shut that shit down pronto, some cnut's gonna get killed in there!
And yet the van was unharmed :D

Jpez

Down on the left!
^^^ This - get the big stuff delivered. All my builder mates do.
I need it now. Ima go get it.
your nice little sparkies van pic, sure if all I carried around was a few rolls of flex cable then sure it makes sense.
And yes. Even an inner city building site can turn into a quagmire. Point is I don’t love my ute. I have no fondness for it. But it suits my purposes to a tee wether all these non tradie experts believe so or not.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nitpicking and irrelevant.
No it isn't. I don't have any skin in this discussion. Justifying what you bought because you do dumb illegal shit isn't justifying it. I have owned four dualcabs. All work hand me downs for cheap. I fucking hate them but my son's used them and it got them cheap 4wding. One of whom 8s a sparky but now has a commode ute. Means to an end.

Dualcabs seem to be the solution most trades go for because there are (were?) Tax incentives and they are a workable compromise. I know quite a number of trades who have vans and those suit them better. Mechanic, sparkies and diesel fitter. I also know some who have dual cabs because they need 4wd because sites get impassable. I also know a couple who bought RAMS because they can tow the missus horse float...

Buy whatever suits you for your needs but if you have a generic Japanese or Thai ute and throw 2m3 of sand in the back it is going to be very broken.

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
I can carry my 6 year old in the crew cab which I couldn’t do in a van
As a someone who has worked out of utes/vans for years and having kids, I would say this is the number one reason dual cab utes are so popular. Its a family car you can work out of that arent complete pigs to drive on the weekend.

Whats with all the tradie hate lately? People dont like living out of the weather in warm, well lit houses with running water? shrugs

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As a someone who has worked out of utes/vans for years and having kids, I would say this is the number one reason dual cab utes are so popular. Its a family car you can work out of that arent complete pigs to drive on the weekend.

Whats with all the tradie hate lately? People dont like living out of the weather in warm, well lit houses with running water? shrugs
Yes the tradie hate is pointless, the usual suspects. I would have pulled that first post but there were replies and quotes already done. Settle down, who knows someone might actually need a trade qualified person at some point!?

Oh and I hate snakes and those fuckers are everywhere.

Jpez

Down on the left!
hi
No it isn't. I don't have any skin in this discussion. Justifying what you bought because you do dumb illegal shit isn't justifying it. I have owned four dualcabs. All work hand me downs for cheap. I fucking hate them but my son's used them and it got them cheap 4wding. Means to an end.

Dualcabs seem to be the solution most trades go for because there are (were?) Tax incentives and they are a workable compromise. I know quite a number of trades who have vans and those suit them better. Mechanic, sparkies and diesel fitter. I also know some who have dual cabs because they need 4wd because sites get impassable. I also know a couple who bought RAMS because they can tow the missus horse float...

Buy whatever suits you for your needs but if you have a generic Japanese or Thai ute and throw 2m3 of sand in the back it is going to be very broken.
it was an example and in the great tradition of Rotorburn it may have been exaggerated. Point being I can do shit with my ute that is just not possible with a van and think that was pretty obvious in what I was saying.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
that there isn't a tradies-equivalent of Rotorburn
what's the point in that...would just get infiltrated by non-tradie heroes spruiking shit about how good they are , and we all charge too much for the skills and knowledge that we all use on a daily basis!
as a wise man said to me once....Learn the Trade, not the Tricks of the Trade~!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I had a test drive in a GMW (Great Wall Motors) Cannon Ute. It's remarkable how well it's put together compared to their previous ute.

I'm sure Isuzus, Fords and Toyotas are a little more robust and certainly better supported but at $22,000 less than those brands, it's certainly worth thinking about.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I used to own one of the first generation Foton Tunland utes, it was a great car but the build quality was typically chinese...Mechanically the thing was unstoppable..had a Cummins TD engine fitted up to a Getrag Gbox, all Bosch electrics, Borg Warner transfer case and Dana diffs (all well know and reputable components) at the time it was at least 12K less than the next best thing and on par cost wise with the earlier shit version of the Triton!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a test drive in a GMW (Great Wall Motors) Cannon Ute. It's remarkable how well it's put together compared to their previous ute.

I'm sure Isuzus, Fords and Toyotas are a little more robust and certainly better supported but at $22,000 less than those brands, it's certainly worth thinking about.
Having personally seen the result of their sister brands NCAP test I wouldn't go anywhere near one!