Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Minlak

custom titis
But the bull bar mounts to the chassis rails does it not? So how could that be loading the body shell in any way?
Snorkel requires hole to be cut in the body and the body mounts to the chassis and you also normally cut the guards to contour to the bullbar so you could argue some cause and effect - I guess maybe

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Snorkel requires hole to be cut in the body and the body mounts to the chassis and you also normally cut the guards to contour tot he bullbar so you could argue some cause and effect - I guess maybe
Guards shouldn't be structural though? I'd still be calling bullshit...

Minlak

custom titis
Guards shouldn't be structural though? I'd still be calling bullshit...
Don't disagree but that is usually metal fatigue and could be possible from the use the vehicle gets - I had the same thing happen on my Hilux Ute that did lots of KM's on corrugations.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Can see both sides - But people have to stop making the argument why do they sell it if it is not fit for purpose? We had a guy bring his Dmax in with a busted front CV - Customer had fitted a 3" lift kit (no diff drop) and was a bit of a cowboy she will be right go get em full send type of guy - he had busted it in the sand - Isuzu approved repair in less than an hour - then you have this guy (and others I am sure) told to get lost.
Also where has he been using the vehicle - parked up on the sand there with weight on the front not designed by Isuzu ( they have no factory option winches and winches are super heavy all weight at the front) As much as people like to think the 4WD they drive was designed to take a beating they aren't.
I know people can BS when it comes to warranty, but they look like they've been engineered to a price and on the limit. There are a few that have cracked being stock standard too. Auto dealerships are usually loyal to repeat customers of a long time or high expenditure, anyone else they can pull the wool over they will.

Minlak

custom titis
I know people can BS when it comes to warranty, but they look like they've been engineered to a price and on the limit. There are a few that have cracked being stock standard too. Auto dealerships are usually loyal to repeat customers of a long time or high expenditure, anyone else they can pull the wool over they will.
When I was working at the dealership it was almost like decisions were made with magic 8 balls - you could never guarantee even things that were obvious warranty would get approved and that was with all makes. Nissan I will say however do seem to go above and beyond for customers that have the vehicle serviced at a dealer all the time and or repeat customers

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Chassis flex and twist exacerbated by the weight hanging over the front. Body mounts transmit enough of that motion to cause an issue with inner guards. Prados and Hiluxes had similar if not the same issue. Worst affected did lots of corrugated road driving. Toyota fixed some and ignored some but brought out a patch panel set and later models had the extra panels and no cracking.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Pretty good outcome for such a big crash, I know Subies come with their issues, but I've always rated them high from my experiences.

View attachment 379244
View attachment 379245
Is there really much difference between japanese cars? They've always looked like theyre built the same to me, this could have just as easily been a camry or an accord or something....

But sedans at normal ride heights are not only are less inclined to roll in the first place, but when they do they do so with less damage - its not slamming the roof into the ground with as much leverage/force as a jacked up suv thing.

Add it to the long list of reasons 4wd utes are dumb as general transport....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Is there really much difference between japanese cars? They've always looked like theyre built the same to me, this could have just as easily been a camry or an accord or something....
Nah Libs are built like bank vaults. The Gen IVs (what I think that might be) feel extremely solid. And all modern Subies I've driven have always felt very planted yet don't weigh that much either. Clever.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

But sedans at normal ride heights are not only are less inclined to roll in the first place, but when they do they do so with less damage - its not slamming the roof into the ground with as much leverage/force as a jacked up suv thing.

I realise this is the ute thread, but that looks pretty sedan like to me......

Flow-Rider

Burner

Early model 4 wheel drive Hiluxes were a dangerous thing to roll, they relied on the windows to support the roof. A mate of mine rolled one in the 90's front over back 3 times and he said the front window exploded with a noise as loud as a shot gun, on the next roll the roof caved in on him, imagine how much more compromised the cab is when they start rusting around the window rubbers. Safety in vehicles in general has come a long way in the last 20 or so years.

I had a chuckle when I saw this photo because we had the same ute growing up, same colour, same hubcaps and everything. Seat belts weren't compulsory when they first came out either, we had 2 sash belts without the cross-over lap on the outside of the bench seat and a lap belt in the middle.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A "recall" to address issues to gain 5 stars. Don't drive it until the parts are in stock! Still better than the two options above.