Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're buying a top heavy two tonne ladder framed wank tank and you're worrying about safety...? lol...
If you are going to drive a Ute, why wouldn’t you want it to be a safer one? Same as getting on a plane, you have the choice to not do it, but if you are going to do it may as well make it a one that has been through the safety approval process and passed, as opposed to one that hasn’t been tested…

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you are going to drive a Ute, why wouldn’t you want it to be a safer one? Same as getting on a plane, you have the choice to not do it, but if you are going to do it may as well make it a one that has been through the safety approval process and passed, as opposed to one that hasn’t been tested…
I wouldnt worry about, local testing is more about marketing. It will have been tested in other markets i assume, if only Korea. There is nothing special or particularly rigorous about Australian testing, id argue its kinda pointless given we dont make cars.

Have a poke through here... https://www.youtube.com/user/koreancap/videos

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, the ventilated seats in the Musso would be nice.
however I just realised I don’t think the Musso has been crash tested to any standards, not just ANCAP, that isn’t exactly confidence inspiring…..
Pretty sure they've got to crash so many cars as part of the ADR ruling to be sold in Australia, I can't remember what specific crashes it entailed. One of them was Australian design rule 69, not sure if it's changed or superseded to something else these days.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
id argue its kinda pointless given we dont make cars.
...and 3 of the 5 stars depend on what "safety assists" the vehicle have (Remember the outcry over the "2-star" rated Mustangs. Once the computer safety bollocks was added, they were 5-star all of a sudden with the same structure). Presumably that means only 2 out of 5 stars indicate the structural integrity of the passenger cell.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
...and 3 of the 5 stars depend on what "safety assists" the vehicle have (Remember the outcry over the "2-star" rated Mustangs. Once the computer safety bollocks was added, they were 5-star all of a sudden with the same structure). Presumably that means only 2 out of 5 stars indicate the structural integrity of the passenger cell.
Yep. I've posted the two Alfa Giulietta crash tests before as an example - the top marks 5 star when it came out in 2012, and the current 3 star where it loses points for not having autonomous braking and blind spot monitoring etc. But still gets top marks for the actual crashing part.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Also pedestrian safety... Not sure how a ute is supposed to comply with that! Put foam at the front?

I just wish they'd make safer cycling infrastructure so fewer vehicular journeys are required.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Agree to most of the above except the Mustang still has issues. The rear passenger submarining hasn't been fixed nor has the rear passenger safety overall. If you think that is fine and don't have passengers then don't have rear seats. Having seen a current Mustang take a glancing blow on a wall there is no way I would have one. Not a crush zone thing but doors and boot flying open. As for the secondary safety stuff bits of that get switched off every time my car is driven, sadly the dealer wont flip the default to off which is what can be done elsewhere and my obd tool is not smart enough to give me the option. Last thing I want is the sensors to detect an old road edge and steer me into the middle of a two lane road.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what to tell you -

View attachment 378787
Obviously more than one car involved. Maybe they had trouble getting them stock for testing. However, you purchased and delivered yours in the meantime so seem to be plenty in the country.

Must have pretty serious delays within ANCAP themselves, if its taking almost a year to get results assuming all cars were provided around the same time as the one above! Seems a little unusual to me.