Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Thanks for replies -I don't serious off road at all - have never really run on sand but may go to Frazer one day run over fauna but plan too one day - Tow a camper trailer (well will again when I get new one) - Will most likely fit the Toyo Open Country AT's again. Currently have 260/60/R18 Goodyear Kevlar cost 1.1 million each fitted. Good point bought up on ride today 16 may not fit as the spare is a steel not alloy - Alloy may not clear the caliper so prob safer going 17
FIFWIW :D

Haakon

Keeps on digging
@Haakon can't wait to see this on Aussie roads with 21 inch rims shod with super aggressive MT tyres!

There are already a couple of previous gen Tundras kicking around canberra - after RHD conversions it seems like an awful lot of money for an oversized Hilux...

This new one is the right amount of ugly to properly appeal to american trucksters.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the new landcruiser
I read a great comment a few days back.

Up until now, you were not the owner of a Landcruiser, you were a custodian, handing it to the next owner on its immortal journey.

They reckon the 'vee hot' 3.3 diesel putting out 227kw and 700nm may have issues with injectors and longevity, exacerbated by towing heavy vans.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are already a couple of previous gen Tundras kicking around canberra - after RHD conversions it seems like an awful lot of money for an oversized Hilux...

This new one is the right amount of ugly to properly appeal to american trucksters.
That brick like front can't be too areo punching through the wind.

Minlak

custom titis
I read a great comment a few days back.

Up until now, you were not the owner of a Landcruiser, you were a custodian, handing it to the next owner on its immortal journey.

They reckon the 'vee hot' 3.3 diesel putting out 227kw and 700nm may have issues with injectors and longevity, exacerbated by towing heavy vans.
Not that anyone has officially been able to test but rumours have the 10 spd box hunting between 7 and 10 especially when towing. Also what are people really going to be able to buy for serious sand driving now ?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I notice that the market is getting more and more like the front ends of the big utes / trucks of American ilk - the big fords and dodges etc - the new landcruiser is squared off too
Target market are the buyers of the biggest selling vehicle in the world, crazy not to copy the redneckishness.

ozzybmx

Well, I went to the local Tyrepower today.

Picture heading in to a bike shop actually needing a 100mm XC bike but coming out with a 160mm Enduro bike... thats what usually happens me when buying new 4WD tyres, suspension envy turned tyre knob envy.

Now heading into a tyre place, knowing you need an AT with more of a highway orientation but coming out with a Mr Ranger mud set up, big knobs, small cock and a vehicle that never sees dirt.
Well mine used to see dirt, rock and a lot of touring but not so much in this post corona apocalypse, now bitumen runs to work and holiday shack.

Well today I actually did what I have been trying to do for many years, come away with a sensible AT Tyre.

#1 son started working at Tyrepower about 3-4 months ago, so I spoke to the owner today and he said if I didn't love this tyre after a month, he would buy them back off me.

He runs them on his own vehicle, says they are awesome on wet and dry tarmac, quiet, great fuel consumption, have really good road comfort and do quite well off-road.

I feel nothing when look at them but its for the best :(

Toyo Open Country AT II

Jpez

Down on the left!

Picture heading in to a bike shop actually needing a 100mm XC bike but coming out with a 160mm Enduro bike... thats what usually happens me when buying new 4WD tyres, suspension envy turned tyre knob envy.

Now heading into a tyre place, knowing you need an AT with more of a highway orientation but coming out with a Mr Ranger mud set up, big knobs, small cock and a vehicle that never sees dirt.
Well mine used to see dirt, rock and a lot of touring but not so much in this post corona apocalypse, now bitumen runs to work and holiday shack.

Well today I actually did what I have been trying to do for many years, come away with a sensible AT Tyre.

#1 son started working at Tyrepower about 3-4 months ago, so I spoke to the owner today and he said if I didn't love this tyre after a month, he would buy them back off me.

He runs them on his own vehicle, says they are awesome on wet and dry tarmac, quiet, great fuel consumption, have really good road comfort and do quite well off-road.

Toyo Open Country AT II

View attachment 376858
I run those. They work well. And pretty quiet too which I like. Can’t stand excessive road noise.

Minlak

custom titis

Toyo Open Country AT II

View attachment 376858
My tyre of choice too - and not a ridiculous price tag either

ozzybmx

My tyre of choice too - and not a ridiculous price tag either
I didn't even ask a price, just told them to order them for me... can only guess they will look after me.

Just like bike parts, vehicle tyres are a little scarce too, 1-2 weeks order time and will be saved for #1 sons next shift so he can fit them.