Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

moorey

call me Mia
Do you think he's getting a free car and also paid?

I know a seasoned off-roader who has one now. Not a shill like that dude. He rates it.
I couldn’t stand one. Makes my old 130 defender look pretty…..but I’d probably take one before numerous beige looking other new comers to the Ute market.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That’s some quality photoshop work :)
Don't pretend like you don't want to see fleets of these carting dirty tradespeople to job sites during the week and hoardes of unruly offspring to campsites on weekends.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I know a seasoned off-roader who has one now. Not a shill like that dude. He rates it.
I couldn’t stand one. Makes my old 130 defender look pretty…..but I’d probably take one before numerous beige looking other new comers to the Ute market.
Your loss. They're junk. At least the one we had at work was until we ditched it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Don't pretend like you don't want to see fleets of these carting dirty tradespeople to job sites during the week and hoardes of unruly offspring to campsites on weekends.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Maybe if you’d based it on an Alfa. The stelvio isn’t an Alfa, it’s an suv….

Minlak

custom titis
Don’t think we have a 4 X 4 thread so save starting something and lump it all in here.
I have a Dual Cab UTE and it came fitted with 18” wheels and a 16” spare. I don’t want the 18” wheels as you ah e to use 60 profile tyres on them - the spare is a 70 profile.
So I want to go back to a smaller rim and larger tyre - went to the tyre shop I always go to but feel his opinion of the 17” rim with 65 profile tyre was based on the fact he had 2 sets of 17” rims he could do a “deal” on for me as they had only been fitted once to a car when the owners decided they looked wrong on their car.
I don’t mind the rim but think his advice was based on selling me these rims not giving me best options.
So what do people think 17 with the 65 profile or 16 with the 70 profile ( I could probably go 75 profile if I went 16 too but would mean knew spare to match diameter.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
265/60 18 stock? You can legally go 265/70 17 which is what I run (Pirelli Scorpian ATR Plus). Extra diameter over stock = increased fuel consumption but better flexibility in the 70 profile compared to 65 and a longer footprint. 60 and 65 profile off road tyres have come a long way though... depends what you want to do, I can't fit 16" wheels at the front because the 17s only just clear brake callipers so I went up a diameter. Going 70 profile in a 16 cf 60 profile in 18 will get you a wider bag when aired down but no extra length.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I started typing a serious reply but Dales beat me to it.
More rubber = better. Extra cushion, better footprint for more grip at lower offroad pressure. Smooths out corrugations nicely.

What tyres you looking at? Ol’ BF all terrains are hard to beat, but I’ll be giving some mickey thompson alternatives a go when my cheap mud tyres wear out.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Don’t think we have a 4 X 4 thread so save starting something and lump it all in here.
I have a Dual Cab UTE and it came fitted with 18” wheels and a 16” spare. I don’t want the 18” wheels as you ah e to use 60 profile tyres on them - the spare is a 70 profile.
So I want to go back to a smaller rim and larger tyre - went to the tyre shop I always go to but feel his opinion of the 17” rim with 65 profile tyre was based on the fact he had 2 sets of 17” rims he could do a “deal” on for me as they had only been fitted once to a car when the owners decided they looked wrong on their car.
I don’t mind the rim but think his advice was based on selling me these rims not giving me best options.
So what do people think 17 with the 65 profile or 16 with the 70 profile ( I could probably go 75 profile if I went 16 too but would mean knew spare to match diameter.
There’s at at least ten questions I’d be asking about that situation.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I started typing a serious reply but Dales beat me to it.
More rubber = better. Extra cushion, better footprint for more grip at lower offroad pressure. Smooths out corrugations nicely.

What tyres you looking at? Ol’ BF all terrains are hard to beat, but I’ll be giving some mickey thompson alternatives a go when my cheap mud tyres wear out.
Much better options that ATs now. I went to the new AT and the damn things went hard just like the old design at about half wear. Hankook Dynapro is what I would fit for more serious stuff, the Scorpian ATR Plus are good for tarmac, gravel and sand though useless in mud or nasty rocky stuff.